Ralph McQuarrie's Concept Stormtrooper "Armor"

kwdesigns

Those boots are GREAT!!!!

A Gray color sole would be better. A medium gray close to the one on the Action figure would be nice. If it becomes too much of a hassle then black soles. But the upper parts of the boot is perfect with the zipper on the side and stitch patten in the front.

I wear size 11 US if they are true to size. Please give me an idea on cost.

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

Pete my man they are sweet , i would be up for a pair of those with white sole , i like the idea of the zip on the side, making them a little better for getting them on ;)

grey it is then and 100% on the style. Now i will contact the makers and see what they say about a grey sole or the easiest way forward would be to order the boots as they come (black sole,heel) and use the universal grey primer some masking tape . I think we have our consept trooper boot sorted.

I just got my RMQ GG Mini Bust in the mail today!!!

I think vac-forming the belt and vac-forming all the belt boxes should be no problem..

Do you feel GG got the arms and upper body look right????

Kevin W.

I Think the only thing the GG bust is wrong is the shoulder bridges ,they do not seem to have any on the concept drawings.Other than that its a good likeness on all other parts.I really like the arms and shoulder bells and the torso and belly plates are spot on..

Im Glad ou said vac form belf .

On 1/26/2013 at 7:20 PM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

photos!

:D Why play on the field when you can shout from the sidelines.......

Kev, I love the GG Bust and the action figure but not quite sure that they caught it just right with some of the detail and their interpretations.

There are a few things that kind of bug me when you look at the drawings up against the GG bust, the shoulder bells being one of ‘em. I think they got the shape and form wrong, especially the pronounced bulge at the tops.

DkSbDuC.jpg

Also feel that they missed out on some detail with the arms at the elbow, in the drawings there appears to be an additional section between the biceps and forearms.

pn69jII.jpg

If I’m hyper critical then I’d say that the chest detail is too pronounced and should be a lot softer and less defined as seen in the drawings.

And, yerrp, those shoulder bridges are totally wrong :angry:

Pete, Loving those boots, they look brilliant,.....and DEFINITELY grey for the sole without a doubt B)

I like the examples Bill ,i am not sure about the elbow details you pointed out ,yes their are examples of a detail on the lets say sandtrooper detail but i see non on the death star version plus i think in the real world if they were added it would be almost imposible to bend your arm or at best they would clash with the forarm and bicep.

I do agree that the shoulder bells in the bust are a little bulky and amen to them shoulder bridges.

I have also been thinking about the shield and have some ideas.

Acrylic frosted sheet makes the base of the shield ,That is painted to match the armour but leaving the edges raw.Were the had holds are positioned a light source shins through the acrylic through to the edges giving the shield a sort of energy shield look without being overpowering just highlighting the edges of the shield.Acrylic sheet is inexpensive 500mm x 1000 being about £30 here in the UK .

I have ordered some and will see how this works would you say the shield size is around 500 wide by 700 long with three faces ?

The GG shoulder bells look like Rector skateboard knee pad replacement cups from the 80s with that bulge, and the GG chest plate looks like it has bodybuilders slave Leia tits...and the shoulder straps.... I agree they arent great... other details are good...Looking.forward to the armor... Kev, any ideas on the helmet construction? vac abs or resin cast/face off mod?

Edited by trooper18938

Really do notice those shoulder bells now , nice one Mr H :), need to be more rounded and smoother at the tops , @ Chris, i quite like the Slave Leia chest ;) agreed it could be reduced slightly :)

Hi All

I've been searching through my SW reference books desperate to find anything that might help this project. I mostly found the same pics that I've already seen but I found this sketch attributed to McQuarrie, hope it helps in some small way.

69BFuJK.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Great picture, all the basic elements are there to see.The shaped knee of the shin top and bottom of the thigh,then the mid section plate and its nice to see the arm broken down into three parts ,shoulder bell with its distictive shape the very simple bicep and the classic forearm.Not forgeting the enclosed upper torso.