E-6000 + Snaps = Heat?

Hello all, I am about to put snaps together and e6000 them to my armour. I have read where to be careful with e6000 glue is that if it gets on the metal button it will melt the armor? If this is true what other things should i be careful with and do or not do.

I used webbing with my snaps and just made sure to leave a lot of space on either side of the snap so as to avoid contact with the glue. I also read about it melting the armor and just wanted to be on the safe side. One thing I messed up on is with my heat gun. I used it to make some pieces fit more to my body so there would be less stress when I glued them. I taped up my shins and went at them with the heat gun so when the tape came off they would stay pretty much where they were taped. I guess what I'm trying to say is use the right tool. I bought a heat gun after trying out boiling water and failing. Then I read somewhere about using a lighter. Let me tell you that was a mistake. That lighter is the reason I bought another back plate. Oh well, live and learn. You are doing the right thing asking questions though. Just remember to use the search function first as your question may have been asked before.

Good luck on your build!

I think most snaps are lacquered or plated and shouldn't cause any issues. I used E6000 on my snaps plates with Tandy snaps and saw no ill effects or heat where it came in contact with the snaps.

The UKG top armourers have passed the following tip on to me...

They have seen the glue cause a reaction to some plastic by warping it as the glue heats up the metal snap face.

Place a small cover of electrical insulation tape over the snap head before applying the glue.

This is the procedure that i follow.

Before you start any crimping.

Un roll a few inches of tape, then put the snap heads down on them.

Cut the tape between each snap fastener then wrap it round the head.

Make sure each tab of plastic is sandpapered first before you add the fastener.

Then add the top and bottom of the fastener with the plastic tab piece in between.

The finished tab is then ready to glue to the sanded and cleaned Armour surface with your E6000 glue.

I just finished my build using E6000, line 24 snaps from tandy and webbing material as the snap plate. I too read about the snaps and plastic causing heat damage, so I followed another members suggestion and covered the back of the snap with tape so the metal on the snap didn't come in contact with the glue or the armor. It was done as a precaution or just in case kind of thing. But it doesn't hurt to experiment like Mathias has suggested already. Hope this helps you out.

• 1 month later...

I did not insulate the metal part of my snap plates while working with E6000 and there is no warping or heating whatsoever on my 2mm ABS.

Either this is just urban legend or inappropriate amounts of E6000 will chemically melt the plastic. There is no reason to believe the metal gets heated by the E6000 in any way. If it melts plastic, then this is a reaction involving the solvent in the E6000 and the plastic, but not actual heat.

Maybe it reacts with HIPS?

I have always attached snaps to scrap plastic and then E6000 them to the armor with no idea that metal+e6000 "melted" the plastic, I have seen it happen but never was to worried about that.

This is the "melting" I have seen several times.

And it does not show at all on the other side.

O5gqG0T.jpg

Hope it helps.

Saludos

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020

The UKG top armourers have passed the following tip on to me...

They have seen the glue cause a reaction to some plastic by warping it as the glue heats up the metal snap face.

Place a small cover of electrical insulation tape over the snap head before applying the glue.

This is the procedure that i follow.

Before you start any crimping.

Un roll a few inches of tape, then put the snap heads down on them.

Cut the tape between each snap fastener then wrap it round the head.

Make sure each tab of plastic is sandpapered first before you add the fastener.

Then add the top and bottom of the fastener with the plastic tab piece in between.

The finished tab is then ready to glue to the sanded and cleaned Armour surface with your E6000 glue.

and this is why I created my snap tutorial showing the application of white duct tape to the back of each snap.

this in fact allows you to put glue on

try this link!

snap plates

HIPS is really reactive to snaps and e-6000.

abs leaves a light warp in some situations. glues that generate heat do do at

different room temps, and such.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392