BEHIND THE TEETH

aramotowski

Hi Alex,

You don't have to have the mesh as the screen used helmets didn't have it but it does a good job of stopping people seeing your face. If you decide not to fit it you can wear a black balaclava but then you can get hot. It may not be screen accurate but I personally prefer the mesh.

Pet screen mesh is one that is very popular to use:

Ā 

mesh_pet_screen.jpg

Ā 

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/store/pet-screen-36x84-black-ready-roll-p-368.html?zenid=476cccda409a2e2958677b73e3c77826

Ā 

Also, the Pet screen mesh can by purchased an more home Improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes).

Ā 

Also some use a breathable sheer style fabric that you can get at a fabric shops. (Almost like the sheer curtains) and use a couple of layers.

Ā 

A+Pair+A+Spare+Sheer+Black+Maxi1.jpg

If you decide not to fit it you can wear a black balaclava but then you can get hot.

Ā 

Not true mate,

Where did you get that info from Rob?, I've trooped for over 4 years now wearing a balaclava and it's no hotter then NOT wearing one.

OK, it's a given that it's not a great big, thick woolly one like our mums made us wear in the winter as kids. but the base layer motorcycle ones

and the Under Armour Heat wear hoods are brilliant and you wouldn't know you had them on.

I think you really need to get out there and troop mate and try some of these things for yourself so that you can give a more objective view of some things.

Ā 

Ā 

As for the frown?, Pet mesh for the win as Tom said :duim:

• Like 1

I use two piece os metal fly wire mesh, place the cross of both pieces opposite each other for maximum effect, can still get air through :smiley-sw013:

As Alex is in the US I thought the heat might be more of an issue than it is here in the UK. Also, just because I haven't trooped with teh UKG doesn't mean I've never trooped at all so my opinion is quite objective thanks

And I never said he would get hot. I said he could get hot. Just trying to help the guy out with my opinion.

Just another perspective on the heat issue- I'm in sunny Australia (so a bit warmer than you UK guys), I find having the balaclava is great in hot conditions because it wicks sweat away from the face, keeping me drip-free.

Ā 

But YMMV, what works for me may not mork for you...

Ā 

On topic, I use Trooperbay mesh (it's nicer than the gardening shadecloth I used to have in there).

I'd go with no mesh at all. Screen accuracy is the way to go, guys. Isn't that what we're all trying to replicate here?

Ā 

Every time someone told me on a troop that they can see my mouth/face, I just said: "I can see your mouth/face too." :D

• Like 1

I'd go with no mesh at all. Screen accuracy is the way to go, guys. Isn't that what we're all trying to replicate here?

Ā 

Ā 

Nope, not at all.

Ā 

Otherwise I would have been required to have chipped, peeling paint on my lid, and gaffer tape holding down my shoulder bridges.

(ESB armour was far more beaten-up than ANH, and exemplifies just why we don't aim for 100% accuracy)

Ā 

Remember the slogan: We're costumers, not prop replicators.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That said, it's your prerogative to have frown mesh or not- if you don't mind people seeing your face, that's cool. More power to you.

• 5 months later...

In the hardware section of Walmart, they sell screen repair patches (about four 3"x 3" squares per package). Make sure you get the fiberglass variety. It comes with a clear, sticky backing that allows you to stick the patch to your screen where there's a hole. What I do is peal the sticky backing off so you're just left with the screen. Then, I spray paint the screen black. After the paint has dried, cut the screen pieces in half, as you won't need a full piece. One half piece can usually cover 3 "teeth" holes. You can use hot glue or E6000 to adhere the screen inside the helmet. I generally use hot glue since it cures faster. Finally, I usually do a second layer of screen, turned at a different angle so it creates a cool pattern. I'll posted some pics soon.

Ā 

If anyone wants the brand name of the screen repair patches, let me know. Each package is only a couple bucks....

I use the pet mesh as its a nylon material versus the other mesh options that are Fiberglass or metal. I bought a large roll that I share with the local folks that need it.