Going into public without being on a troop.

TK5492

So here in the Japanese Garrison, the troops come few and far between. Due to the size of the venues there is often a limit for the amount of troopers even if the location is close enough for me to travel. Being in the military and only knowing mostly conversational Japanese it is often impossible for me to travel to certain locations. (I'm talking 8 hour drives or hundreds of dollars in train tickets- with armor in tow)

Does anybody ever just venture out in armor? I'm talking to Wal-mart, the mall, Sam's Club, parks, anything- you name it.

Maybe you are not all so starved to get out in armor, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

If so, what is the general public reaction and concensus? Mostly positive? Ever been asked to leave? I am getting to the point where I am about to just suit up and go check ID cards at the BX :D.

Any advice or stories I'm ready to hear it! Thanks everyone. :jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by TK5492

Plenty of people have done it and there's no reason you shouldn't but it helps to have someone to accompany you as a kind of unofficial spotter.

Karin makes some good points too ....

your blaster or your dentonater might get stolen (it happened before), and most store owners feel uneasy when a guy with a helmet and a weapon enters their store...

The only time I generally go out in armour other than on official troops is for carnival. And guess which two items I usually leave at home! :)

Edited by Rick330

Hm...

Your points are noted and well seen. I have been on a couple troops so I know the range of visibility will be limited. However, keep in mind I will have my wife there to spot, and military folk are generally honest. Plus, being on base, if you steal something there's really nowhere to run ya know ;).

Alas, I still see the possible problems. Ahhh I just want to get out! :(

Maybe you could set up a small one man troop near your home or base. You could do it for charity. At least this way you will be expected by who you are doing it for and looked after a bit.

Maybe you could set up a small one man troop near your home or base. You could do it for charity. At least this way you will be expected by who you are doing it for and looked after a bit.

That's an excellent idea! I'm sure the BX managers would be really open to working with me on something like that. They have lots of drives and events outside of the exchange store regularly so I can try to organize something with them. Good one Rob.

From what I've read in the past here from other members who have suited up w/o trooping was that if you go in a mall or a Walmart, you will definitely be told to remove your helmet. Also, don't take your blaster as that just scares people even though you know that it isn't a functional gun, it worries the public.

Besides regular troops and Halloween, the only time I've suited up in the past w/o an official troop was for an outdoor photo shoot in my costumes (TK and TB). You MUST have someone there with you as an added safety. I'd never go out into public suited up all alone. Even if no one did anything to you, you could trip and fall w/o someone there to point out hazards as you walk.

falling down in armor... done deal.

the one hand on the ground and two feet on the ground kind of fall.

"get out the novus polish"

and the handlers just laughed...'nice job fuzzball'

Once I'm done my armor I plan on going for a walk in the neighborhood but I'm on a Canadian Military Base. Still going to make sure that someone will be with me though. There's only so much room in my basement to walk around. Was thinking about getting the mail in armor so the ladies at the post office know what all the big boxes coming through marked costuming supplies are. Who knows what they are thinking.

I understand the urge... and a lot of good advice here. I've been tempted to suit up on our family outing to the farmers market, or just to walk over to 7-11. I like the idea of what the Malaysia guys did with their own little stand for charity, and Morten's recruitment efforts. Two easy "excuses" without getting any store managers nervous. (Some places you're not even allowed to have your hoodie up in a store, much less face covered.)

Visibility, hazards, theft... my biggest concern has become getting mobbed and not being able to escape. Also, on busy streets, even though you're on the sidewalk, you're a distraction and can be considered a hazard yourself! And don't forget, a lone TK is a rebel target... you need back-up! But if you're mostly just walking your own neighborhood, getting a feel for the armor and what-not, it should be good.

Alot of good advice here guys. And I will take everyone's into consideration before I do anything. Even the ladies ;)

Edited by TK5492

I've done this for one of my skits for my Japanese class at my university. Suited up at the car, walked to class and after class was done, decided to walk around some more. It was fun definitely. Surprised tons of people but it's best to do so if you have friends with you. That way it's a bit more natural and they can help watch out for any people who might do crazy things to you.

Solo Troops are great but only if you are not really alone. My wife has done the “handler†part in this ride. I’ve done this myself only in a couple of times and yes it has being fantastic (in my point of view).

For some members having a good handler watching your back is an absolute must but in my case yes, I did though about that and that was my only concern, not having anyone to watch my back and I was aware that if necessary, my wife wouldn’t do much. That’s why, from a number of possibilities, you would definitely have to select the right place and time for it. (I would avoid wal-mart’s or any mall)

I just love group troops, but my “solo troops†has been an absolutely one of a kind experience for me… :duim:

http://www.whitearmo...l=&fromsearch=1

Cheers!!! :smiley-sw013:

OK, so I just had an experience trooping alone today: It was the Chick-Fil-a customer appreciation day where anyone who came dressed up as a cow would get a free meal. Our chick-fil-a is located in the food court of the mall. I went with my family and they all wore taped on cow spots on their clothing, and I put black paper spots on my TK armor. The line for the food was really long with tons of people dressed up as cows. I purposely didn't even bring my blaster with me, but I was only in line for about 3 minutes before a mall security guard approached me and told me that full masks or helmets aren't allowed in the mall.

For me, trooping w/o a helmet on is just not a true TK... it's the helmet that really sells the entire costume, so I turned to my wife and said "forget it, lets just go back to the car and I'll dress down". It was pretty discouraging, although on the way in and out of the mall in the parking lot I did have to stop a number of times for people to get photos of me. I was even trying to cross the parking lot street when a car stopped and needed to take a photo of me while standing in the middle of the road. It totally stopped traffic!

I love to suit up and walk around my area but now we have a curveball, after the shootings in Aurora I feel like we are going to be treated like terroist. I feel we won't be able to carry our blasters in public and with the 3D movies coming out each year will we be allowed to stand in front of the theaters? I know we won't be able to enter, no longer after the tragedy in colorado. I wouldn't feel right wearing my armor or carring a blaster at the moment.

I love to suit up and walk around my area but now we have a curveball, after the shootings in Aurora I feel like we are going to be treated like terroist. I feel we won't be able to carry our blasters in public and with the 3D movies coming out each year will we be allowed to stand in front of the theaters? I know we won't be able to enter, no longer after the tragedy in colorado. I wouldn't feel right wearing my armor or carring a blaster at the moment.

I wholeheartedly agree. It definetly makes you remember what's important though. At least we still have the opportunity to wear armor, and enjoy our families. Now for so many, someone cut their time unecessarily short for reasons that I don't know if anyone can explain. I believe it may become an issue considering people will tend to be afraid of someone in a costume with a gun because of recent events. I wish someone could make sense to me why anyone would need to go into public and kill people they don't even know. Will it make trooping more difficult? Maybe. But the most important thing to me right now is that justice is served swiftly and ruthlessly.

Edited by TK5492