Need ideas for mounting the lenses in your lid.......

I've seen several ways to mount the lenses in a lid ranging from simply glueing them in place with silicone/glue, screwing the entire strip into place to some serious looking mounting brackets. I could use some advice and suggestions as to some of the details and best ways to mount them. I've not seen any tutorials on this subject but may have missed something. Personally, I'd like them to look as pro as possible.

I'm using Smitty's upgraded lenses and am not sure how I want to mount em'.

So, how did/do you mount your lenses?

The method with the strip is how they did it in the movie, but its not very trooping practical. I had mine cut to size and just taped the edges, but want to make a more permanent solution for it.

Personally I would go with the glue on a helmet for trooping.

I once saw a post about using the screws inside your helmet from the ears to hold them in place. Essentially I carefully made a mark where the screws from the ears stick out unto the strip, drill the holes to be very snug, placed it and then mark the holes for the other side, and drill those. The tension is enough to hold it in place.

EDIT:

Found it! I actually ordered my lense from him and it does a great job of keeping your eyes from showing.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14974

Edited by TKRalf

Yep, I use the strip to ear screw method reinforced by my padding. A cool way to do it also is with velcro. they stay but you can pull em to clean em.

The strip which is common to movie guy lore.....

Shz6Fci.jpg

My ESB Troopin lid....

bsDzUOT.jpg

Bring the pix peeps!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I cut the lenes to size and hot glued them as well.

I have seen the method of mounting the sized lens to foam around the inside and outside edges and the gluing them to the helmet, like gogles.

My TK lens is still taped in with cloth hockey tape (I couldn't find my gaffer's tape). That works and I'm too lazy to do anything else right now, especially since it's my third "fix."

(My Clone lens I glued in with a dab or two of e6000. That seems to be working fine, too.)

Edited by LadyInWhite

Thanks again guys! I've seen the video tutorial about the lens strip but since I went with Smitty's lenses I'm not going to use the strip method. I suppose I will just hot glue or velcro them in place then line them with foam like Gazmosis' lid.

B89rB6L.jpg

I'd like a clean professional look as opposed to the more accurate ANH stunt way. Especially since I'll be plastidip/cheeseclothing the inside like Gaz's and mounting my fans/wireless/mic inside and lining it with the MICH pads I bought on eBay.

I'll update this post with some final pics after I finish..........

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

I originally did my lenses as the ear screw method. But they were so uncomfortable I had to forgo the accuracy as there isnt a lot of space in the helmet and it was rubbing against my eye; and to be honest I couldnt see me wearing it for a 4 hour stint. I removed all the padding and lenses and basically went back to the begining. I cut up a set of foam knee protectors to use to pad the inside of the helmet and give it some more space. I filled the eye surrounds with milliput and popped in some motherboard standoffs to hold the lenses. I ground off the outer screw with my dremel leaving this

2tALyWj.jpg

just another option http://forum.mepd.net/public/style_emoticons/default/salute.gif

Edited by gmrhodes13