Aker & ICom – VOX or PTT and why?

Question is for those who use the Aker and I-Com combo. Do you use the push to talk (PTT) or voice activation (VOX) and why? Random bursts, or do you have a favorite you use?This would be great info for newbies. Please share your preference and experience. Thanks!

Edited by Sparrow

I have the Aker 10W and iCOMM combo with the PTT cable. I only use the PTT cable to set the static burst I want and/or need for the troop. I also added a small MP3 player and run the 501st TK trooper loop through the amp, along with my voice calls. Basically, when I'm ready to talk...I kind of "thump" the mic or give it a little tap to get the 1st burst, then talk, then the final burst happens automatically. I practiced with it for a while until it made sense and sounded good. ;)

My first troop with it was totally cool. The people I interacted with really dug the whole "static thing" and I heard tons of comments like "gosh, he really sounds like a Stormtrooper too!" :)

I use VOX. No extra controls to fiddle with, and no extra cord to string down your arm armor into your hand (if that is how you choose to set up your PTT).

Once you are set up (and that simply involves finding the right volume on your Aker that is high enough to be clearly heard, but not so high as to cause feedback), all you do is talk and the gear does it's thing. The only downside is that the static burst can trigger at inconvenient times, like during a pause in the middle of a conversation.

I don't use the PTT cable at all. My mic goes into the icon, the icomm to the aker and then the iPod shuffle goes into my aker as well and plays the TK trooper loop, so almost same setup as Jim. I've noticed that when large sound systems go off or people talk through them my mic will pick that up so you'll hear me going click-idy-click-click through out that.

Hey Jim, if I read this correct you are thumping your mic to get a static burst, waiting for that to clear, talking and then getting the end burst? Never thought about trying to get a static burst before talking.

Edited by Trooper324

I like the PPT (when the little icomm button works) especially if you're addressing a crowd. I find it easier to not have to ensure that the mic is positioned just right to activate the VOX. Using VOX I end up coating my mic foam with quite a bit of saliva because the aker mic is so directional.

Also... if you have a cold... its nice to be able to cough and clear your throat.

And... you you need to say something to someone that you don't want broadcast to everyone I like being able to talk through my hemet not the aker.

However... I purchased about 40 of those little buttons that Jim puts on there because they fail so often. Pretty soon my cable will be only a few inches from resoldering them on :)

Aloha,

-Eric

I don't use the PTT cable at all. My mic goes into the icon, the icomm to the aker and then the iPod shuffle goes into my aker as well and plays the TK trooper loop, so almost same setup as Jim. I've noticed that when large sound systems go off or people talk through them my mic will pick that up so you'll hear me going click-idy-click-click through out that.

Hey Jim, if I read this correct you are thumping your mic to get a static burst, waiting for that to clear, talking and then getting the end burst? Never thought about trying to get a static burst before talking.

Yep, I like to have a leading burst and wanted to emulate that with my setup. I kind of push air or "pppffft" it with my mouth (if that makes sense). It happens pretty quick and sounds cool. :)

Edited by Griffin-X

For me, I have found it is absolutely impossible to use the system without the PTT. Every time I try it in VOX it is a distaster. The slightest breath or movement makes it go off. Also, if you stop talking for about half a second then it will click off and it can interrupt you and it takes about a second or 2 to activate again. So if you have a brief pause or are kinda slow then it can cut you off. As someone else mentioned, if you have to cough or clear your throat or maybe if you just mumble to yourself, with PTT then it wont be broadcasted to everyone.

I use the Aker and PTT cable only...no VOX. If I want a static burst I can do that with my mouth. I find the PTT cable essential for two reasons: Battery life, and I can say certain things without the world around me hearing it. I burp sometimes and am glad the world around me doesn't hear that.

I had a severe issue with sweat inside my rubber glove shorting out the PTT cable. I now need to wear an exam glove under the rubber glove to keep ALL moisture away from the PTT. Yes I tried the balloon and everything else. The exam glove is foolproof. That's my $.02

the whole key to running the system is just as steve points out.

using a waterproof covering over the switch is really important!

using the PTT is really important to how the system can be more friendly to use.

I love my setup! this system rocks!

has anyone tried to wire the ptt to their AB buttons?

Someone has bad battery life? You might want to talk to Jim, I know he replaced a bad battery for someone else.

I charge my Aker the night before a troop and I've done 6 hours so far, with the iComm in VOX and an mp3 player running through it and it was still going strong.

I like random static bursts myself.

The guy who Jim replaced the bad iComm battery for was me. :)

I do exactly as Matt does - charge my Aker the night prior and run it the same way, and it runs for hours with no problems. I also prefer the random bursts.

Can anyone give me any info or links where to get this VOX setup? I have all the AKER stuff for a wireless unit with PTT switch, but I haven't installed it. I just really don't want to have to fool with the PTT switch. Can the VOX be wireless? I don't want a wire running from my helmet to my chest mounted speaker. Seems like everybody I have seem with that doesn't care for it as it's hard to remove your helmet while trooping.

Wired VOX is simply the "standard" setup, as I call it. Mic goes into the iComm, iComm goes into the Aker. Basically it's Jim's diagram in the upper right corner:

--------------

Given my screen-sized helmet and giant head, I can't see having room in my helmet for a wireless transmitter. :P

I don't have a problem removing my helmet when trooping (both of my helmets are TM) with the mic in place. However, to put my helmet on and ensure the mic stays in place (I use the side-twist method), I hold the padded mic between my lips then push it out with my tongue after the helmet is on so that the mic is barely touching my lips. Makes for the perfect mic positioning.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Hey Darrel, I just successfully installed mine.

It took me a while because I could never get the wireless to perform properly, it would always cut out. It was driving me crazy, so much so I decided not to use it. :6: But then I couldn’t deal with my helmet having a leash, so I took another look at it, figuring it is just placement. After some tinkering, I got it to work perfectly. It doesn’t drop out at all! :dancing-trooper:

The trick to placing the transmiter in the helmet was at the very back and low. It doesn't interfere with putting the helmet on at all. The antenna on the reciever has to be pulled out. I found this the best positioning for both the items. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you as well. I know others have been frustrated with it as well.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried to wire the ptt to their AB buttons?

Someone said they were gonna do it a while ago..not sure if that eventuated. It'd be awesome to give it a shot though.

Hell, next time I catch up with the local members we might brainstorm ways to do it.

• 3 months later...

As wierd as it was having the PTT originally, I can't imagine not using it. It's very convenient when you want to talk behind the scenes kind of talk with other troopers or wranglers. That and I have taught myself to use it in the index finger so when I'm holding the blaster I can just apply pressure to the blaster and activate it.