Doopys Blaster Build

Murray1134

I finally broke down and got myself a proper blaster to replace my Hasbro POS.

The kit arrived today.

5s4S9JX.jpg

So, now I have a fun project to work on. This is my first time working with something like resin, so I hope I don't screw it up. :)

I finally broke down and got myself a proper blaster to replace my Hasbro POS.

:duim:

Hopefully, this means GT will soon have its sixth Expert Infantryman.

They really are not hard to build. If you look close, there are sort of marking lines on the main tube where the pieces go. Just look at some E-11 photos or other builds (I have a basic one!) and you'll see how they come together.

On 3/9/2012 at 10:27 AM, tkrestonva said:

:duim:

Hopefully, this means GT will soon have its sixth Expert Infantryman.

That's my goal.

I do have a question about these two little pieces. I know where they both go, but I noticed that one is slightly smaller than the other. Which one goes on the ejector port and which one goes on the end of the barrel?

InhF5qo.jpg

the smaller deflector goes on the front right side

and the larger one goes on the middle of the barrel on the right side near the breech.

to make a scope rail get a piece of aluminum flat bar 1/8 x 3/4"

measure from the top last hole where the T Track goes in and bend it at a 90.

tape off your bend point with duct tape, score the bar lightly with a hacksaw

place in vise and carefully hammer to a 90.

then cut the front lower part into a notch to fit into a hole.

keep the entire thing long enough to reach the rear sight, notch the end of the bar

to fit into the rear sight, drill a hole and fit a small nut and bolt combination though

the rear sight affix bolt inside.

align the scope on the rail so that the rear foot of the scope lines up with the

folding stock hinge near the handle.

the hengstler counter needs a small L shaped bracket so that it lines up with

the magazine well properly.

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

LoL, I love that pic!

The resin is a lot stronger than I thought it would be. After all the horror stories I heard about them breaking, I thought they would be a lot more fragile. It feels pretty solid, even with it just being glued together.

Here's the latest update, got the magazine attached. Which means the scope rail is next, not the part I've been looking forward to.

OX1l8gA.jpg

uifQieT.jpg

ZZhfXnP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let you know that after a lot of trial and error I found out how to make this work. I never got the aluminum bar to work (even with heat). I did however find some Zinc Plate at home depot, also about $5, that works great. All I had to do was score it with a dremmel and it bent to a 90 very easy. So stress line or breaking.

Finally got some time to work on this again (translation, I managed to pull myself away from playing Mass Effect long enough to get some work done :lol:

I got the scope rail bent and cut down, I just need to do the precision cuts and get a bracket to attach the Hengstler counter. Bending and cutting was the part I was really worried about, but it bent easily. I used my armor tub as a makeshift vice and a few good whacks with a hammer and I bent it in place by hand. I've rough cut the piece down to size as well with a hacksaw.

NG0apIs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more work done tonight. I've got the holes drilled for my scope, and I'm going to stop by Home Depot or Lowes one of these days to see if I can find a decent bracket. My work on the scope rail is decent for my complete lack of experience with cutting and shaping metal, and I'm not feeling like trying it again to make a more precise piece for the Hengstler Counter.

It's at this point that I'm wishing I had built an ESB trooper, then I wouldn't have to mess with the counter at all. :)

a8kaxNt.jpg

All that is left is attaching the counter to the rail, attaching the end cap, painting, attaching the scope rail to the rifle.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try to put a spring inside or not, why would a blaster need a spring?

On 4/16/2012 at 5:08 AM, Murray1134 said:

I got some more work done on this today. Cut the scope rail down.

Next up is figuring out the scope attachment and the Hengstler Counter.

Does the scope rail height look okey in this? I'm afraid of it being too high.

I made mine sit on the inside of the rear sight - about 0.5cm off the barrel. Thought it looked good - but that's just my opinion. And btw, that is some crazy bar you got there bro. How thick is it? I don't even want to know how you manage to bend it.

It's 1/8" thickness (I think, I don't quite remember). Actually bending it was really easy. I put it into my makeshift vice (the side of my armor tub) hit it with a hammer a few times and then was able to bend it by hand. It's aluminum so it bends pretty easy. Cutting it down was the harder part.

Thanks for the input on the height, it was seeming a little too high. Right now it goes past and over the rear sight, so I think I will cut it down there so that it sits in front of the rear sight, that should fix the height right?