TI-9327's ANH Build[*TE2]

Despite having just finished my Clone build, I am at it again. I recently picked up a TE2 TK kit and am embarking on the wonderful journey that building a TK. I am planning on shooting straight for Centurion status and make it as accurate as possible.

The kit was purchased from someone in my garrison who found out he couldn't fit into it. He had already rough trimmed a majority of the armor, which allows me to jump directly into fitting everything. Here are some pictures of the kit all layed out. My friend and I got together today and started fitting the extremities. I'll take some pictures of them shortly.

th_d7a5b537.jpg th_7e232bc6.jpg

th_eea159b1.jpg th_5bc01de7.jpg

th_45dc9158.jpg th_bfb1020e.jpg

th_5c8b6a32.jpg th_00cd5791.jpg

What's with the filler on the ab button detail plate? So you're planning on painting everything?

Keep in mind that, when wanting accuracy "as close as possible" to ANH/ESB armor, a certain amount of "controlled sloppiness" is the way to go. Don't fill/sand stuff like the edge where the ab button plates are glued on, that takes away the character IMHO.

I really don't know what the filler is. The person I bought the kit from started working on it prior to selling it and used the filler. I plan on taking a dremel and sanding it off. Yes, I do plan on painting everything. Hoping to take it to an autobody paint shop to paint an even coat.

Edited by ti9327

Shame about the unnecessary filler, but painting it will of course hide the fact that someone was a little premature. ;)

I understand that original TE2 suits need a coat of paint anyways, so hey - don't sweat it.

Okay, here's the first of many questions I am sure I'll have. I've seen lots of talk about butt joining the armor, but is that necessary? CanI get away with simply overlapping the joints and placing the finishing strips over them? Is butt joining a pre-requisite for Centurion status???

Dave, I would not glue them overlap and then add the cover strip. That's not a true butt joining and not accurate at all. If you are going Centurion you should just do it correctly. IMO.

And I will bust on you when I see you at the next event if you don't. ;)

Taping the pieces together from the inside helps a lot to keep them tight while the glue on the cover strip is curing when you do butt joining assembly.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been quite a while since I've posted any progress...and just as long since I've done any work on my build. However, I have been making some progress with acquiring parts for the build. Here is what i have received.

TK Boots

th_7ce9485c.jpg

ANH Holster

th_a13d347a.jpg

Neck Seal

th_51ae3950.jpg

th_547c38f1.jpg

I am planning on cracking down and getting some work done this coming week, and also planning on attending an armor party next wekend. Hopefully my next post will be filled some better progress.

Oy - Julie said butt seaming should be easy. Dang, perhaps too much 16 year old scotch tonight.

TE2 is great stuff - can't wait to see how yours turns out.

• 7 months later...

Well, after much procrastination and a lot of help from some friends, I currently have the helmet nearly ready for assembly. All that's left is to fit the faceplate & cap together and then trim the ear caps to fit.

I also have the left upper extremities trimmed & glued together and am working on the right upper extremities.

Pictures to follow shortly.

• 2 months later...

Been quite a while since I have made any progress, but over this past weekend I was able to get a bit done. Got together with a friend and we assembled the upper extremities (both biceps and forearms) as well as the calves. We ran into some issue with the thighs & back of calves not closing properly. We also sized the abs/kidney section.

Pictures to follow shortly.

As promised, here are some progress pictures so far.

Helmet -- Almost complete (prior to paining), just needs some longer screws for the ear caps:

th_A02589D3-18B5-478E-829E-0950DF0AB685-3953-0000019825135255.jpg

th_94B1600D-3362-4EDB-A40C-4FAEC0F7C19B-3953-00000198223A37CF.jpg

Upper Extremities -- Assembled and ready for finishing strips:

th_0FE1146C-EDF4-4550-9DF7-99A3CDFFE709-3953-000001982A51CB46.jpg

Calves - Need finishing strips & clean-up in back (left needs to be shimmed so it will close):

th_FC987466-52B0-4B90-9937-25E13934C769-3953-0000019832B44050.jpg

Blaster & Holster (didn't do much to these aside from purchase):

th_6C124E0B-30D6-468C-8904-3897D208B723-3953-00000198275E4E4E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...