rare earth magnets for belt?

TD-4395

Has anyone tried just using the rare earth magnets for the belt, rather than the snaps? I saw that someone used them on the back if their shims but they flexed too much for the magnets. But i figured the belt at least the plastic part shouldnt flex too much.

Don't forget there's iron in your blood, so keeping strong magnets close to your skin for extended periods could have some effect on you, I'm sure. If it's good or bad I don't know. But since it's such an unnatural thing to have, I guess it's not too good.

if it's not broke

In all due respect, if everyone followed this rule where would we be? Probably back in the stoneage.

Try Quoting this to mr TM. ;)

Edited by Daveskie

In all due respect, if everyone followed this rule where would we be? Probably back in the stoneage.

Try Quoting this to mr TM. ;)

I'd say in this case it's completely unrelated, since what was available before could be considered "broken".

the screen accurate ANH way of strapping created broken armor, after stunts ect.

as they perfected the internal and external strapping systems they completely

changed over time.

"it was broken, so they fixed it!"

ep5 and 6 internal strapping systems prove that they changed the design not only cosmetically

but functionally as well.

I was referring to how non LFL costumes (ie fan made) looked like though, sculpt wise (not the strapping , materials or anything else). But whatever. :)

It just seemed like everyone did snaps but im a bit wiery of drilling holes into the abb piece, didnt realize that velcro was acceptable to use ill just use that thnks everyone. I got tons of it left over.

I'd say in this case it's completely unrelated, since what was available before could be considered "broken".

I think it is totaly related as it's little tweeks that people come up with like this that can make something better.

This is the way of the world and thankfully its full of inovaters.

If you want to stick to the same old same old then you go ahead but don't hold back someones "effort" to progress even if it isn't going to be considered a "fix"

without trial there is no error and to be honest, nothing is really broken untill someone fixes it as usualy its just a "better" way of doing the same thing that we then see as a "fix"

As for the magnets being a health issue, this made me laugh.

I think someone has just spread a thought they had one night while lying in bed or sitting on the toilet with no background evidance to support.

the iron in the blood is not just stray iron molecules, but rather iron that has been biochemically bonded into the blood cells and is no longer directly affected by magnetic forces

The effects on the blood by magnets are subtle and indirect so I wouldn't worry about this. I would worry more about carrying your mobile phone in your pocket next to your crown jewels. ;)

• Like 1

I think it is totaly related as it's little tweeks that people come up with like this that can make something better.

This is the way of the world and thankfully its full of inovaters.

If you want to stick to the same old same old then you go ahead but don't hold back someones "effort" to progress even if it isn't going to be considered a "fix"

without trial there is no error and to be honest, nothing is really broken untill someone fixes it as usualy its just a "better" way of doing the same thing that we then see as a "fix"

As for the magnets being a health issue, this made me laugh.

I think someone has just spread a thought they had one night while lying in bed or sitting on the toilet with no background evidance to support.

the iron in the blood is not just stray iron molecules, but rather iron that has been biochemically bonded into the blood cells and is no longer directly affected by magnetic forces

The effects on the blood by magnets are subtle and indirect so I wouldn't worry about this. I would worry more about carrying your mobile phone in your pocket next to your crown jewels. ;)

Well in the matter of using snaps or whatever here and there, I at least, try to do it as screen accurate as possible. It may be 30 year old methods, but they are certainly not "same old", as many of these things were not even generally known as little as a year or two ago. Some of these things are the results of leaked images from the LFL archives, others are the result of a lot of people doing a lot of research on the subject. Spending hours and hours trying to figure out what it really is they are seeing. I would not call that conservative. I would say that they are on the cutting edge of stormtrooper research. So the conservative and non-innovative things you speak of are rather those using velcro as an all-around solution.

On this matter you may be completely right. Researching this turned out to be hopeless because of all the new-age stuff that comes up. Hardly reliable. Very much like those trying to prove the mobile phone radiation. However I'd still not recommend using powerful magnets where there's no need for them, and there are safer alternative. You can still get squeezed pretty tight by those magnets.

Edited by Locitus

And he will tell you that using magnets is a daft idea?

and you missquoted me. I said Try Quoting "if it's not broke" to mr TM not that he would think earth magnets are a good idea.

Sorry to steal your playground thunder Matt. ;)

When moving around and such I don't think the magents would hold up personally. Even snaps come loose when I bend to much or breath in too much. Magnets just don't seem to me strong enough in that area. I understand they work great for something mounted on your chest or to the helmet but bending twisting and breathing all make your belt loosen and tighten all different ways.

I'd stick to the snaps.