Pauldron colors = rank?

Then you can do what you want. One of my favorites was one done up in a holstien cowhide pattern. As a Univ of Wisconsin alum, it made me proud :)

then i guess i wasted money on a blue pauldron... it looks cool, but i guess i can't wear it at most events...

I'm not so sure about that. From how I intepret the Legion charter, I think you can wear paldrons plus other items with your armor at any event that is considered non-canon. This includes cons, parades, charity events, and other types. Only canon events require that TKs be kept clean.

Of course there is the point that you wouldn't want to wear a paldron to most events because you want to keep yourself looking more screen-accurate and feel proud about keeping up the legacy of the TK. :lol: But maybe that's just me.

If it was seen on film, and it's not a flub, it's considered film canon, which is authoritative as you can get. This is 100% acceptable.

There is a second kind of canon. The rule of thumb is "three". If it appears in three sources. For instance if a costume appears in a book, and in a comic book, and in an action figure, it may be considered canon.

But more importantly to be considered canon it has to meet two criteria:

1. There needs to be a sense of permanence in the Star Wars universe, e.g. it can't just be a one-off. This is why it has to appear in numerous sources.

2. There needs to be an explicit, clear, and consistent visual sources from which to make a costume. If we only ever see the front and sides it's not good enough, as one has no idea how to make the back.

Some things are film canon but not accepted. For instance the space packs on TK's are film canon, but since there's not been deemed a complete set of visual references it's not considered "official" for 501st.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

They are whatever you want them to be. Uncle George never worried about it until much later with EU back story. People have settled on them to mean one thing or another, but I say your interpretation is as good as theirs.

Wear what looks good to you - that's how he organized the troops anyway - to what looked good on film.

They are whatever you want them to be. Uncle George never worried about it until much later with EU back story. People have settled on them to mean one thing or another, but I say your interpretation is as good as theirs.

Wear what looks good to you - that's how he organized the troops anyway - to what looked good on film.

exactly! :D

• 5 years later...

I found out, that in Star Wars Assault Team, there are Sniper TKs with blue pauldron, does anybody know some other sources?

I wouldn't class Star Wars Assault Team as canon and reference material for Stormtroopers. Nevertheless It's an addictive card game. And I wish I didn't have to wait so long to refresh the energy bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish game designers would take cues from real world military more.  I mean, having a big thing on your shoulder to indicate specialty or even rank is a great way of saying "shoot me first, shoot me first!".  It's why officers wear subdued rank in the field.

The best pauldron a TK can wear is No pauldron :)

Wish game designers would take cues from real world military more.  I mean, having a big thing on your shoulder to indicate specialty or even rank is a great way of saying "shoot me first, shoot me first!".  It's why officers wear subdued rank in the field.

The best pauldron a TK can wear is No pauldron :)

+1000

• 10 months later...

I just bought a black pauldron online. thought it best as it is a blank canvas if i ever wanted to spray paint it, plus i think it looks cooler, orange seemed more sandtrooper-ish. I saw a few stormtroopers wearing it in the last episode of Rebels so i guess wearing it on its own is still canon even if im not a sandtrooper. Also the teaser image of the trooper wearing one in the new battlefront game kind of sold me on it. Choose whatever looks aesthetically pleasing I agree. Pre-ordered my armour off Anovos on May 4th so it'l be a while until I get to join yous.

We also see some black pauldrons in the season final of the Rebels series, which is according to Disney/Lucasfilms canon. When Tarkin's Star Destroyer is defenceless, TKs with black pauldrons board to repell the rebel insurgents.

I think I recall the Orange as Officer, white for SNCO, Black for enlisted. At least according to the MEPD source or somewhere else on FISD. Anyways, I purchased a Black leather Pauldron because I loved the look of Tarkin's personal squad of Stormtroopers. Then I decided to transition to Heavy Weapons Trooper

• Like 1

LOL - basically what I did.  I figure if Mr. Lucas just lumped them in to do what he needed to make it look "cool", I would too.  If you are a sandy though it's always good to have 2 pauldrons, this way you can mix/match with your garrison mates at a troop and it's not like you have all black, all orange, etc.

• 7 months later...

I maybe all wrong, but this is what I tend to believe for the colors to be for Pauldrons.

Designations:

SANDTROOPRS pauldrons designated the following:

* Black - Private

* White - Sergeant

* Orange - Squad Leader

FIELD TROOPER pauldrons designated the following:

* Yellow - Rail Detonator Equipped Field Trooper

* Red - Imperial Repeater Rifle equipped Field Trooper

IMPERIAL MARINES and IMPERIAL SHOCK TROOPER pauldrons designated the following:

* Orange - The normal colorworn by these units. Orange colored pauldron was also standard equipped on the Stormtrooper backpack.

Some regular Stormtrooperunits from around 1.5 years ABY had pauldrons that designated the

following:

* Grey - Bombardier

* Yellow - Rifleman

* Red - Medic

* Blue - Sniper

* Orange - Captain

Phase I Clone Trooper pauldrons designated the following:

* Green - Sergeant

* Blue - Lieutenant

* Red - Captain

* Yellow - Commander

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hey guys,

im new here, however I think I can shed some light on this topic.

Most rank in SW seems to be based off the US Military. So looking at the Stormtrooper Corps and its command structure, I would say they are very similar to the US Marines. 

Orange pauldron- low to mid range officers. Platoon leader, company Commander, Battalion Commander, Regiment Commander. Eg: LT, CAPT, MAJ and LTCOL.

Grey pauldron-Platoon Sergeants (Sergeant Majors)

White pauldron-Squad leaders (Sergeants.)

Black pauldron-Assistant Squad Leaders (Corporals). However, Sandtroopers wore these also.

Nil pauldron-Troopers 

The "grey" is actually a mistake by a toy company and is really very dirty white, and as such is not considered canon

Sandtroopers
CAPTAIN – Orange Pauldron
SERGEANT – White Pauldron
PRIVATE – Black Pauldron

First order
OFFICER - Red
SERGEANT - Black
WHITE - Squad Leaders 
Image result for first order stormtrooper rank

Yeah I understand. But canon is generally so vague in its explanations. 

For example. Canon tells us that an orange pauldron is a squad leader???? If that’s the case, what function/duties does a Sergeant carry out???

“legends”in my opinion has the best explanation in regards to rank structure and duties of each rank.