Original and Replica Prop Stormtrooper Belt

RS Prop Masters

Hi guys

I thought it would be nice to share some photos and information about the Stormtrooper belt.

The original belt is made from a number of laminated layers of different fabrics and stitched together around the edge. The outer layer is known to be a canvas, which is how most replicas are constructed.

xAguWh9.jpg

Here we can see the layers.

xAguWh9.jpg

The inner fabric is a satin type and shiny. Strange that the inner most side would be shiny, maybe they were originally made to have this fabric to the outer? I can't see a reason why else this would have been made in this way.

rg4eJP2.jpg

X9iI6mG.jpg

The replica show in the photos is made by Clothears Costumes for us. They took the belt away and came back a few weeks later with a knockout replica belt and holster (more to come on that later). They absolutely nailed the details, matching every layers fabric type and weave. Staggering, but I expected nothing less from these guys.

RS

ZSn4gdB.jpg&key=d1d384760d22fe44d44b963f

What a great informative post Rob! I honestly cannot remember a time ever that anyone in possession of an original prop has been this generous with information and pics. Truly amazing and a great testament to the spirit of troopers in the prop world.

Are the long edges of the canvas overlocked? It looks a little bit like they are but that could be the canvas weave aging.. are the edges turned at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting those pics Robert, very interesting indeed!

It does sound that the shiny satin could had been chosen to be used for the outside to match the shiny armour.

To make belts and things sometimes you can stitch around the edge and then turn the object inside out and then press the item.

This would then have no rough edges and no seams / stitching showing, maybe this is what was intended?

Maybe they were riveted together before they were turned inside out by mistake or became too narrow?

Or just grabbed all the material they had to try and ake them thicker?

Just a thought...

;)

I would more gues it was a real world found part.

The budged for AnH was very low.

And i see not realy any sense in it to make a 5 layer belt out of different materials for , how much?, 30 costumes.

Too much work to cut out all those stripes and sew them togehter that they look all the same.

But nonetheless a nice replica from the original belt, RS has done there.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I have searched and googeld for hours and can't find an answer.

Has anyone identified the third material used in the stormtrooper belt . The top is canvas, the bottom is a satin like material, but what is the third material used in the layers that is talked about by RS and Clothears?

Wil.