Don't know where to post, but a quick question. Does ABS armor yellow or fade in sunlight? I was going to display armor on a mannequin when not trooping. It wouldn't be direct sun, but sun at times nonetheless. If so, is there anything I could put on it to prevent fading or yellowing? A TK sunblock? Other than keeping out of the sun, of course. Thanks!

Sh.. i beter give up smoking then dont want my armour turning yellow :mellow:

I think you can keep those nicotine stains off the armour with a moist towel once in a while ;)

It all depends on the type of ABS your armor is made from. My GF armor is over 10 years old and is still pristine white. My TE2 helmet is painted with Rustoleum and has yellowed quite a bit over time. My friend has ABS armor from another vendor and its a little over a year old and it has already begin to yellow.

Pretty much anything will fade and/or turn yellow from UV rays. Certain materials fade quicker because of the purity of the actual material that it was original made from. And, certain plastic will fade and turn yellow from man made light. Even if you are not displaying it in direct or indirect sunlight, make sure that you are not using a harsh spotlight. There are some things that you can use to slow down and help prevent premature yellowing and fading, one of which is by using a UV protectant blocker or wax. Check with some marina supply stores. Most boats are made from fiberglass. The white water style boats are made from either ABS, HDPE, HDXLPE, etc. They do make a UV protectant for the material that these boats are made from. They get a lot of direct sunlight and a lot of reflection of the sun off of the water that will speed the fading/aging of the material that the boat is made of. Most marina stores will have some type of spray on or wipe on protectant. Also, certain manufacturers of car wax do make a plastic protectant that help guard against UV damage, fading and discoloring. Contact you local marina stores and pop into you local automotive store.

• 3 months later...