Build Time?

Quick question.. What is the average build time for a TK once all materials are on hand? I have an ATA kit coming in a few weeks and i like to have a goal to set. I would like to have it complete by mid December. i've plotted everything out on my calendar and the only thing that is really going to take awhile is the curing time for the Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel. Just wanting everyones thought on the matter.

Guest jedislayer5000

im pretty much in the exact same position as you hehe, except my kit is coming in a week and im still deciding whether to paint it or polish it. my schedule is completely free since i am not working atm so hoping i can get it built pretty quick

It depends......

Ā 

on your skill level, the time you have to work on it, even the kit type.

I have AP, which takes on average 4 months to a year....... it took me 3 years (schedule conflicts), does that mean that you cant complete one in 2 months? Not at all, there are people out there who have a knack at it.

Ā 

The best advice I ever got is to take your time, dont rush. You want to make sure that you plan it out, if something unexpected happens then you adapt to the situation. Take it one thing at a time, dont get overwhelmed. In the end, it will take as long as it takes.

Ā 

Personal deadlines can be a great motivator, however, they can be a nightmare if you over shoot, then you will start thinking that "well, since I didnt make the deadline I wanted, I can put it off for a while."

Just have fun, ask questions, and enjoy the ride

Edited by giric thren

Guest jedislayer5000

It depends......

Ā 

on your skill level, the time you have to work on it, even the kit type.

I have AP, which takes on average 4 months to a year....... it took me 3 years (schedule conflicts), does that mean that you cant complete one in 2 months? Not at all, there are people out there who have a knack at it.

Ā 

The best advice I ever got is to take your time, dont rush. You want to make sure that you plan it out, if something unexpected happens then you adapt to the situation. Take it one thing at a time, dont get overwhelmed. In the end, it will take as long as it takes.

Ā 

Personal deadlines can be a great motivator, however, they can be a nightmare if you over shoot, then you will start thinking that "well, since I didnt make the deadline I wanted, I can put it off for a while."

Just have fun, ask questions, and enjoy the ride

Ā 

wow, really? even 2 months seems like a long time to build a kit, for me atleast lol... what im probably going to do is just work on it all day every day until im finished, not rushing but just working on it all the time since i dont have a job haha

On 11/3/2010 at 2:51 PM, jedislayer5000 said:

wow, really? even 2 months seems like a long time to build a kit, for me atleast lol... what im probably going to do is just work on it all day every day until im finished, not rushing but just working on it all the time since i dont have a job haha

Ā 

Ā 

I know, but it will fly by. Do you really want to rush, and increase the risk of making a mistake? I have never worked on ATA, and I know its "affordable trooper armor", however, it is still pricey.

Ā 

Trust me take your time, post pics, get tips, there are a million ways to construct armor...... Contact your local 501st garrison, and see when the next armor party will be.

Ā 

Ā 

Here is a recent build of ATA, ----

Ā 

there isnt a step by step process, and it took this trooper from May to October to complete it (again they could have had a schedule issues, or not).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Guest jedislayer5000
On 11/3/2010 at 3:54 PM, giric thren said:

I know, but it will fly by. Do you really want to rush, and increase the risk of making a mistake? I have never worked on ATA, and I know its "affordable trooper armor", however, it is still pricey.

Ā 

Trust me take your time, post pics, get tips, there are a million ways to construct armor...... Contact your local 501st garrison, and see when the next armor party will be.

Ā 

Ā 

Here is a recent build of ATA,

Ā 

there isnt a step by step process, and it took this trooper from May to October to complete it (again they could have had a schedule issues, or not).

Ā 

cool thx for info and i have seen your build post a couple times heh. btw im getting a CAP-W set, the op is getting the ata

it's just plastic. cut and sand. and cut and sand. paint. paint.

Ā 

wait. wait some more.

Ā 

no part of making painted armor is fast.

Ā 

wait. wait some more.

Ā 

ABS>?

Ā 

cut and sand and glue.

Ā 

done.

Ā 

did I say wait? no.

Ā 

just trim and glue and you're done.

Ā 

getting an ABS kit over a painted kit is always faster and longer lasting.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Guest jedislayer5000

it's just plastic. cut and sand. and cut and sand. paint. paint.

Ā 

wait. wait some more.

Ā 

no part of making painted armor is fast.

Ā 

wait. wait some more.

Ā 

ABS>?

Ā 

cut and sand and glue.

Ā 

done.

Ā 

did I say wait? no.

Ā 

just trim and glue and you're done.

Ā 

getting an ABS kit over a painted kit is always faster and longer lasting.

Ā 

heh ya, except i couldnt find any abs kits i liked as well as affordable, i was thinking AP but thats 350 dollars more that i dont really have

heh ya, except i couldnt find any abs kits i liked as well as affordable, i was thinking AP but thats 350 dollars more that i dont really have

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah, my AP build was a beast. I never made a build thread, I wish I did.

Ā 

Ā 

The Trooper that created the thread that I linked to, should be able to help you. PM him and see what advice he has.

Guest jedislayer5000

Yeah, my AP build was a beast. I never made a build thread, I wish I did.

Ā 

Ā 

The Trooper that created the thread that I linked to, should be able to help you. PM him and see what advice he has.

Ā 

bah, ya im prolly gonna do a build thread when i get mine. will do

I was a complete novice, and it took me 5 days to cut my AP and something around 10 days to glue it ANH style.

Putting all the snaps took another week.

And I took my time to do it, without hurrying it. :)

So it can be done in less time by someone without any experience.

And if you use the time you're waiting for your armor to arrive to get the other things you need, you'll be ready in no time. :D

Just plan it and put some time on it. Having the help

of someone with experience from your garrison will help a lot and speed up the whole process.

my ATA took about 3 months to complete but that included building my blaster, and a big part of that time was waiting for the epoxy paint to cure (over a week cure time for each coat) i took my time because i didnt want to screw it up. a few things that did speed up the build were using a hot wire foam cutter and bench top belt sander to do all of the trimming, but if you slip up using them the result could be catastrophic :blink:

Like a few people on this thread, my armor should be here next week. :lol:

I followed another person's thread who built an RT kit in about a month, and that's what I'm shooting for. What I have done is, I have asked everyone for advice on what tools & supplies are needed. This may be over kill but I'm hoping it will save me from having to stop & go to the store. Plus the Rt kit's bucket comes assembled. :D All I'm going to due is coat the inside & install some squirrel fans. You may want to ask youor local Garrison about putting together an armor party. My garrison is doing on ethis weekend. If I have my armor by then great, if not it will at least be a learning experience.Good luck on your build!

I build my first kit in 4 months part time but because i made many mistakes and had to redo ,repaint...

The last ATA kit i built took me less than 2 weeks PART TIME (3 hrs a day) simply because of the experience i got.

Ā 

So if you have a lot of free time and follow directions on this forum you'll save time and money.

Ā 

You can do it !

Edited by Quebectrooper

Got my T/MC kit May 14th, 2007. Completed and Legion approved October 27th, 2007.

Ā 

5 1/2 Months to assemble and get approved. I trimmed it by hand over the course of about 2 months working a couple hours a day. Glued and assembled it all myself except for a couple of pieces that needed an extra pair of hands (the thighs). Had MonCal help me fit it and make sure all the pieces fit just right. Sewed the straps and snap system as well as belt myself. Cut and dyed the holster myself. All the soft parts were ordered and in my possession before I even got the armor parts.

Ā 

I have helped other people build the same kit in about 4 days. Not 4 consecutive days but 4 total days working one day a weekend. So I guess that means it was a month. Trimmed 1st day using table sander and some hand sanding the edges. Glued 2nd day. Sew straps and belt and some fitting 3rd day. Final fitting with helmet and photos 4th day. All of these were done with ABS kits. No painting required.

Lots of good information! Thanks for all the input. I'm setting a goal of 3 weeks once my armor arrives. I think thats pretty reallistic. I'll be working on it every afternoon and i have a place to work inside at night if need be. Other than the Thanksgiving holiday coming up i should be able to work on it everyday. I have everything on hand except for the actual armor so i should have any hold ups once it gets here. Thanks again for all the info you guys are always a big help!

in five months at 6 hours a week weve gotten 2 suits of armor fitted and assembled and one trimmed. still have to do buckets and paint. with the right tools i could see a suit being fitted and painted within a 40 hour work week. Three 8 hour shifts would be one heck of a challenge!!!

Quick question.. What is the average build time for a TK once all materials are on hand? I have an ATA kit coming in a few weeks and i like to have a goal to set. I would like to have it complete by mid December. i've plotted everything out on my calendar and the only thing that is really going to take awhile is the curing time for the Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel. Just wanting everyones thought on the matter.

it took me 7 days to build my AP Kit...TK armor is so easy compared to doing a clone :)

Guest jedislayer5000

it took me 7 days to build my AP Kit...TK armor is so easy compared to doing a clone :)

Ā 

glad to hear that lol, seeing as i was considering a clone haha i love them but i am a hardcore empire fan and stormtroopers are just so iconic, even tho there are 1000x as many TK's hehe