Essential American (british) Idioms

Sonnenschein

As many of you have noticed by now, English is not my "mother tongue".

I'm not always getting certain phrases and I learn something new every day, like that even girls are addressed as "dude".

So, does something come to your mind I really need to know in order to "survive" when talking to american and british folks? Metaphores you don't learn in school in Austria?

Like "to burn the midnight oil", meaning to work through the night?

looking forward to learn some new phrases,

Karin

An interesting bit about "burning the midnight oil":

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/80200.html

Phrases and ways of speaking are often changing (at least in English) and are given to having a number of different acceptable "styles" depending on what groups you hang out with. It can be confusing. In fact, even between British English and North American English one can run into interesting differences. Some of them can lead to blushing if taken the wrong way. :blush:

Some British Slang:

Bees Knees - This is the polite version of the dog's bollocks. So if you are in polite company and want to say that something was fabulous, this phrase might come in handy.

Best of British - If someone says "The best of British to you" when you are visiting the UK, it simply means good luck. It is short for "best of British luck".

Dodgy - If someone or something is a bit dodgy, it is not to be trusted. Dodgy food should be thrown away at home, or sent back in a restaurant. Dodgy people are best avoided. You never know what they are up to. Dodgy goods may have been nicked. When visiting Miami I was advised by some English chums that certain areas were a bit dodgy and should be avoided!

Hard lines - This is another way of saying hard luck or bad luck.

Mate - Means friend or chum.

Off your trolley - If someone tells you that you're off your trolley, it means you have gone raving bonkers, crazy, mad!

bugger off - Means to go, or run, away; when used as a command it means "go away" ["get lost" or "leave me alone"]

Smashing - Means Extraordinarily impressive or fine; wonderful!

dog's dinner - a poor job or a mess of it.

Spot on - Is a term used to describe something that is absolutely correct.

Some American Slang:

You need to mellow out or to chill: Means to clam down and relax.

Juiced – to be very excited or eager to do something.

Trashed – to be very drunk Or to completely destroy someone’s property

Rad - Excellent, outstanding. Her new spiked doo is positively rad.

Say what? - Is another way of saying, are you serious.

Scene - Where it is happening : I have to make that scene: Where all the cool people are.

Bad or Tuff - Excellent, outstanding. Wow, that's a bad car or That's a tuff looking ride: Which means you think the car or vehicle is nice.

Jonesing - to feel withdrawal symptoms, especially from a drug. OR to crave something, not necessarily a drug.

PHAT stands for Pretty Hot And Tempting.

Whip - A Nice Car , usually expensive.

Have fun with these phrases Karin :D like this:

Say what? mate,you're off your trolley if you are jonesing for that scene. I thinks it's Dodgy. You need to mellow out and go cruising in my new whip...

It's a local expression. A West Coast thing...

A girl is not a dude but can be referred to like, "Dude, that sucks you lost your job." "Thanks, dude!" "Dude...not cool."

"Dude" in this case can be substituted with "Man" as well with all but the second example. That one might sound strange. Dude is a word that has more meaning by the way it is spoken. If somebody starts messing with your armor without asking you would say "Dude!"

and they would immediately get that what they were doing wasn't cool. Your friend start flirting with a girl that's half his age (in front of her mother maybe) You could just say, "Dude..." with a disgusted tone and he instantly knows what a dirtbag he is. It is the Swiss Army Knife of words!

Didn't say I liked it. I was called "dude" today and I was confused, just like you. But I was told it is the "style" nowadays. LOL

See what I mean?

Karin

Wow... I rarely here people using the word "Phat" also... be careful with "juiced" as that now is more commonly used towards someone who is on steroids.

Trashed, Hammered, Smashed, Blitzed, Bombed - all these are used to express severity of intoxication whether from Alcohol or Drugs, usually in this order lol.

Hella - Im not sure but people in Nor Cal use it for everything!!! Generally I think it's supposed to mean something like the word really. For example: 1) That girl is hella ugly. 2) That's hella cool. (I personally avoid this word like the plague.)

That's all i can think of for now.

Hella - Im not sure but people in Nor Cal use it for everything!!! Generally I think it's supposed to mean something like the word really. For example: 1) That girl is hella ugly. 2) That's hella cool. (I personally avoid this word like the plague.)

This one was invented by South Park a long time ago. I's funny when you are old enough to remember a world before dude was a word.

These Peoples Try To Fade Me, is slang for "many individuals are currently attempting to do me wrong".

My bad = My mistake - I'm to blame.

Holla = Call on the telephone Give me your digits and I'll holla back when I get home.

To bail or bail out - To get away from, or to leave.

Dis = To say something disrespectful. I went out of my way to help her but she dissed me anyway.

Ace = To win, succeed, or be the best at. or To outdo somebody by.

Homie or homey = slang words homeboy or homebuddies = which means some one you grew up with.

AKAMAI = Someone who is very smart, sharp.

All up in my grill = it means someones in your face. grill = face.

fo shizzle = for sure. derived from Snoop Dogg

wind up or wind one up or winding up = to anger or to get angry or getting angry

Nutter = a person that is crazy

Snog = Kiss

Off The Chain or The bomb = means the greatest thing ever.

Jump the shark = means to peak and then go down again.

Frenemy = someone who is a friend but also sometimes hurts your feelings.

Check vitals = To keep an eye on your emails, cell phone, voice mail and any other electronic device you have.

Don't bust a blood vessel! means don't hurry yourself thinking about it or to use a lot of effort doing something.

my son is two and deciphering his speech now is bad enough, looks like it wont be improving for a while huh, this reminds me of a calvin and hobbs cartoon where calvin walks past his dad saying a bunch of new slang from school, rather than looking confused his dad just says thas cool daddyo peace out. instant shoe on other foot, im storing up my youth slang ready to use again in about 12 years

One i like from the states is

Ya`ll

meaning : You all :lol:

first time i hear it i was WTH????

Here in the Southern part of the United States this is used by EVERYONE, young and old. It is practically a prerequisite. Here, if you go to the trouble to actually say "you all" you would probably be considered a snob. :lol:

The thing about this one is that it is such a regional word that it is part of our everyday language. It's such a part of our dialect that we don't even notice it. However if someone tries to fake it-ie- someone with a northern accent, we can spot it in a heartbeat.

I can spot EVERY fake southern accent ever put in a movie or tv show.

Edited by Laspector

Hey, howzit dudes & dudettes!

This thread is one totally bitchen, tubular stuffs cuz!

Shows you guys really akamai eh?

But no make huhu like you the kind high makamaka...

Kay den brahs, gotta helle-on and grind some ono breakfast before hohana time.

Spock ya laters.

Tsalute.gif

ePS: How's that for some regional dialect??

Hey, howzit dudes & dudettes!

This thread is one totally bitchen, tubular stuffs cuz!

Shows you guys really akamai eh?

But no make huhu like you the kind high makamaka...

Kay den brahs, gotta helle-on and grind some ono breakfast before hohana time.

Spock ya laters.

Tsalute.gif

ePS: How's that for some regional dialect??

woah my head is still spinning

Here's from urbandictionary.com

"hecka:

Word used by young children in NorCal (mostly bay are i.e San Fransisco, oakland, dublin, pleasenton, livermore etc.) before they are old enough to use hella without getting in touble.

Your hecka stupid!

This hecka sucks monkey butt!"

Yeah, I personally dislike the word but honestly do catch myself one rare occasions using it. Mostly when talking to young people.