Proposed Change - Side Gap Language

When we first created the EIB and specified close side gaps we really didn't think that anyone would use fabric like vinyl, and when people did it was hard to say "no" as we didn't call it out otherwise.

However I have to say that for me using a fabric material that folds looks worse than having side gaps there. I'd like to propose we update the language to:

1) Not allow side gaps to be made of fabric, or IOW specify that the gaps be closed with a plastic shim that matches or is painted to match the material of the armor.

2) Grandfather in existing EIB who are using fabric

3) Optional: give any exiting EIB 6 months to upgrade or else loose active EIB status (they can always re-apply, and they will remain on the list just not be marked as active).

Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. I also would chime in to say that is the Kidney plate and ab plate "touch" that should be considered NO GAP.

People like Mike H. that are skinny enough to not need a filler should not need to bridge the gap. Screen accurate kits were like this, so our Requirements should allow for those to be that close to accurate be just that!!

Just my $.02, and if I own anyone change, let me know!

Good point Paul. I agree, I think that's fair that the side shims be made of plastic. There's plenty of options not limited to:

- using scrap plastic from the armor

- using white Rubbermaid type bins / plastic

- using sign plastic

- using any color plastic, then painting to match

I don't think there's that many current EIB's that have fabric shims (correct me if I'm wrong) and to replace it with plastic wouldn't take more than an hour or two.

Agreed!!!

Lets Grand Father the EIB for a grace period of "____" ask for the suits to be up graded.

and from a date determined by command staff have the fabric thing a no go!!!!

( don’t think we really need to vote on this) IMO its is a logical step up and its not something huge that will rock the very foundations of the FISD to have fabric not option.

this is decree material not vote subject ( once again IMO)

I was EIB no 13 with my fx armour and I used material side gap closer and I think it looked ok. But then again I did not use flimsy vinyl but rather a nine inch sqaure of elastic covered in the same White canvas as I used in my belts. This made them fairly stiff and they did not deform so much that would be noticable.

That said I have seen some flimsy material being used which was not upto standard.

Do I think we should change the requirements? Yes I do.

I think the fairest way is to grandfather the req out, giving a specific time to upgrade.

Also I think for persons wearing accurate armour with only the tiniest gap visible there should be no need to close it. Many original armour had one side with a small gap of only an inch or so and this should be accepted. On a strict case by case basis.

I agree with this change.

However, I would say grandfather the people who are already EIB and let them be. Perhaps notify them of the change, but don't tell them their status will be revoked after X ammout of time.

They already took the extra step that some of us haven't.

I think this is a good policy. I first tried to close my sides with canvas, and it just didn't look good. I got plastic sign material and closed mine, and to be honest, it's a lot easier to use than the canvas ever was, not to mention it just looks better.

I agree with the change and think that the best action regarding affected existing EIB members is grandfather them in indefinitely. They have the option of upgrading as a personal choice rahter than necessity.

If my two cents is worth anything, I am in Agreement with the with the change :duim:

If my two cents is worth anything, I am in Agreement with the with the change :duim:

:) Does this mean you'll join the 501st so you can vote ? ;-)

Agreed. I shimmed my AP with spare ABS strips and it's hard to see the joins. I think giving the existing EIB troopers who have "soft" shims 6 months to upgrade is not that big a deal.

I'm also wondering why the side rivets aren't mentioned in EIB requirements? That or they are there and I just had a man look ;)

It looks like my application for EIB has started up a pretty interesting debate. I feel chuffed that my costume could swell up such opinions in my fellow troopers.

I totally agree that my leather shim is inaccurate and should be changed to plastic. (which I'll be doing v soon.)

just wanted to know though, as I'm the one applying for EIB with this modification, does that mean I will be granted EIB, and given 6 months to change? or do I have to change it before I get my EIB?

Dave.

Do it now Dave. It will take about an hour.

it'll take longer than an hour, I'll need to buy the plastic, and get more supplies from bunnings to put it together, not to mention how long it will take to get the fit right, for my suit it's gonna be a big process, I'll need a week end to do it, it won't be an easy fix, hence why I'd like my EIB before I have to change my costume, as it fits me really well at the moment, and I'm afraid that when I make the change, I'll have to make a lot of adjustments to my straps to get it to where it'll feel comfortable, remember, I troop a lot, so I'd prefer to do it when I know I'll have a break from trooping. mine aint a costume that just sits on a manaquine and gets let out to play once a year, I'm in my suit at least once a month. I'm not saying all EIB's aren't active, far from it, just making a statement about super screen accurate armour, vs troopability. I think my costume is a perfect example of a costume thats screen accurate, and "troopable." hell, I am ESB after all, we're not perfect! we've been around the block baby!

Dave.

A super easy way to fix this (for your speedy application) is:

- get the plastic you need.

- cut it to the right size (say 5" wider than the gap you want to cover)

- apply 2.5" of industrial hook velcro on the outside facing ends of the shim

- apply loop velcro on the inside of your ab / kidney

- press the pieces together and you're done

This setup is still "troopable" in that it's sturdy enough and removable if necessary. The velcro allows for size adjustments easily. Take the pictures and apply for your EIB. When you have some more time, heat up the ab sections of velcro on the left side and remove, add on the rivets if you want that look. Or if you want something permanent, glue the shim onto the kidney and leave the velcro in the front for easy on / off.

Sturdy and ready to rock! :)

I can make the change, I guess I'm just dissapointed that I've made a lot of modifications to my armour since i first applied for the EIB, and I feel like every time I apply there is another thing i need to fix, even though the requirements say it's a should not a must. change them all to musts, then people will only apply when they have it all done.

I can make the change, I guess I'm just dissapointed that I've made a lot of modifications to my armour since i first applied for the EIB, and I feel like every time I apply there is another thing i need to fix, even though the requirements say it's a should not a must. change them all to musts, then people will only apply when they have it all done.

Your EIB is approved. This proposed standard isn't up for a vote yet, and there is no reason to hold up EIB apps while other things are in the works.

Your EIB is approved. This proposed standard isn't up for a vote yet, and there is no reason to hold up EIB apps while other things are in the works.

thanks mate, I guess I just needed some clarification. woo hoo! EIB baby!