My nearly ready to ship TE RoTJ suit

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Der don't you guys read his facebook He was to busy to pull armor and ship what he owes.

Ā 

Well, since summer is almost over time for an update: Restored my travel trailer, took the kids all over, went to Crater Lake and Diamond Lake, Long Beach, WA ... got a job, got a new puppy, almost cut my thumb off, cleaned my garage.

Pulling more plastic??? :o:o:lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::unsure::unsure:

Probably when pulling the fem trooper armour he made for the Blackstar Warrior trailer. ;)

Looking at the 70s style of it I wonder if thats when they started to film but had to wait for him to deliver before they could finish it. ;)

Probably when pulling the fem trooper armour he made for the Blackstar Warrior trailer. ;)

Looking at the 70s style of it I wonder if thats when they started to film but had to wait for him to deliver before they could finish it. ;)

haha, thats funny man! so it was that fan film that he helped with. I remember him mentioning something about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt's thumb must be hurting and slow to heal. That's unfortunate for him and I wish him the best. I haven't heard from him in a month despite multiple e-mails on my part. I'm guessing that he injured his typing hand.

Der don't you guys read his facebook He was to busy to pull armor and ship what he owes.

Ā 

Well, since summer is almost over time for an update: Restored my travel trailer, took the kids all over, went to Crater Lake and Diamond Lake, Long Beach, WA ... got a job, got a new puppy, almost cut my thumb off, cleaned my garage.

Ā 

Ā 

No I was barred from his FB.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Now if he has cleaned his garage expect a job lot of 30 hdpe helmets for sale soon :)

• 5 months later...

I'm not dead yet. My TK armor still rests in the back room, disassembled and dusty. This month marks a full year that I've been waiting for TE to send me the larger kit that I purchased from him. As of last July the kit was supposedly fully cast but TE had no money to ship it. That's unfortunate since I paid the shipping back in March. Apparently, he spent my shipping money on other things. As I now begin my second year of waiting, TE is apparently unemployed and my kit won't be shipping any time in the foreseeable future. And so I'm still a TK to be if the bloody thing is ever shipped.

I am still waiting for my TE helmets 2 1/2 years later and payed Matt the shipping twice and he spent the money. He told me that he would ship my helmets the other day again but as usual I've heard nothing since telling me what I want to hear. :rolleyes:

I personally think 2 1/2 years is plenty time and quite frankly my patience has run out. I've resided to the fact that Matt will always come up with a excuse to cover the fact that he stole my money and has no intention of ever giving me my helmets. Very sad and if that's how he wants to live his life then I'm sure what "goes around, comes around"

Ā 

This hobby is a better place without people that steal from you.

• 2 months later...

This ROTJ kit isn't dead. At least not yet. After more than a year of waiting, this kit is moving forward. After some discussion with various folks I bit the bullet and bought new parts from RT-Mod. The RT-Mod parts assemble with an overlap, just like my original parts, and so I'm retaining the look of my ROTJ build even if I am using larger parts. I've replaced the biceps, forearms, thighs, calves, and shoulders of my original kit. These new parts fit me without trimming or shimming! The right side of my body is slightly larger than my left, due to a disability, but we're assembling each part in a size that would fit my right side so that, when worn, the armor will look balanced and proportional, even if I'm not. The RT-Mod parts arrived one week ago and my wife and I have plowed right into the assembly of the new parts.

Ā 

We've created all of our snap plates and we replaced the neck trim on my helmet with the more appropriate Seals Direct trim. No more black U-trim that came with the helmet. Since it's required for the ROTJ Centurion, we've also trimmed away the return edge from inside the wrists of the forearms. And we've re-glued the white armor trim to the armor... it was pulling off in spots and so we've glued and locked it back in its proper position.

Ā 

To assemble these new parts we're following the methods outlined in the Dave's Garage Youtube series. We've completely assembled the biceps and forearms. Everything is glued with E6000 in the front and clam-shelled with Velcro in the back. After the ill-fit of the original armor parts (which were glued in both the front and back) I decided to take no chances and we're clam-shelling everything. We glued and clamped the right shin last night and since it's been twenty-four hours since the clamping they can come off any time now. Once clamped everything has been untouched for at least twenty-four hours before we un-clamp things and add the last bit of Velcro.

Ā 

We put a heat bend in the main belt tonight (Thanks for the tutorial, Pandatrooper). Hopefully this will relieve any stress on the plastic once it's re-attached to the armor. There was a tiny crack starting on the belt due to the strain of the plastic being forced to bend when it was riveted to the ab plate. Hopefully this heat bend will remove that stress now that the belt has its own curvature.

Ā 

We've still got the left shin and the thighs to assemble. I'm not worried about those parts since we're taking things slowly and cautiously with this build. I am worried about the shoulder bells, though. The RT-Mod bells fit me well but they are ANH-styled bells. At this point we're planning on gently taking the heat gun to the bells to introduce the proper ROTJ pinched look. The thought of taking a heat gun to the bells is somewhat worrisome.

Ā 

All this updating without photos may seem hollow, I suppose. So let's put a few up...

Ā 

Ā 

Right bicep gluing

IMGP5465.jpg

Ā 

Completely glued and Velcroed biceps and forearms

IMGP5503.jpg

Ā 

Belt with heat bend

IMGP5504.jpg

Ā 

Glued and clamped right shin

IMGP5505.jpg

Ā 

In the photos with the belt you may notice the color differences between the belt and the new arms. That's TE biscuit paint and gloss white ABS. When these new parts are ready they'll be painted to match the TE parts.

The one thing that stands out to me wrong is the forearms.... The square details on the front should run all the way to the end ending in a half square at the wrist.......Not sure if that's going to affect any clearance or not? Other than that nicely done!

You're right, Mark. That detail is off on the RT-Mod forearms. It's a concession to their larger size and their ANH styling, I suppose. Since there isn't a requirement addressing this specific detail it may clear. But if it becomes an issue the forearms could be trimmed to replicate that detail. The RT-Mod forearms are approximately one centimeter longer than the TE forearms. Hacking off a full centimeter of length from the forearms is a drastic step that I'd really rather not take but it's possible if the issue was pushed.

Ā 

So far the assembly of these new parts has been smooth. I'm looking forward to gluing in the snap plates in order to set up the strapping but I want to finish the left shin armor before we start gluing in the snap plates.

The right shin was left clamped to cure for over thirty-six hours so I felt confident that we could remove the clamping magnets without worry. I also realized that the left shin and the upcoming thighs can be clamped by magnets alone and so we moved on to gluing snap plates inside the torso armor while the left shin cures under the magnets. Perhaps the magnets can work for the snap plates too but until I free up some magnets to find out, I'm happy to use clamps to do the job.

Ā 

Ā 

Completely glued and Velcroed right shin armor

IMGP5509.jpg

Ā 

Glued and clamped left shin armor (64 magnets to keep tight and even pressure along the entire length of the armor)

IMGP5508.jpg

Ā 

The first of many snap plates glued and clamped in place

IMGP5507.jpg

Ā 

The ROTJ trim is nicely locked in position. You can see TE's original strap connections between the upper back and kidney plate here... three strips of 25mm elastic glued to each piece. It's come loose in two spots. These strips will be replaced with elastic and snaps before we're done with this armor.

Thanks to Mark for the ROTJ strapping diagrams he just sent me. They've given me something to think about as we strap this armor.

Ā 

The left shin has had the magnets removed and the rear Velcro added. It's safely done and off to the side now. Because these new parts are to be painted to match the TE kit we're holding off on attaching the sniper knee plate and the thigh ammo belt until after everything has been painted.

Ā 

I'm now putting thought into how to close the backs of my drop boxes. I bought a couple of Kev's inner drop boxes months ago but it turns out that they're too small to fit my TE drop boxes. Fortunately, I've got a few sheets of plastic so I'll figure something out.

No worries. I've seen them before though I have no idea where that was. These were shared with me from Sskunky and I appreciate that he sent them to me. So here you go...

Ā 

Trooperstapping-revised.jpg

Ā 

Trooperstapping.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

We were out today so we didn't do anything with the armor. But I did get some help and my inner drop boxes are now sorted. After some measuring, cutting, and heat gun use I've now got something that will fill the drop boxes. They're not pretty and they need a good cleaning but they will do a good job once they're cleaned up. These fit my drop boxes quite well and will do the job. :)

Thanks for posting, Shawn. I actually knwo that sketch. Never realised it was supposed to be ROTJ strapping though.

I always thought that ROTJ strapping included some kind of braces (suspenders) holding up the torso. Or is that just something troopers invented out of necesity to cope with those huge chest and back parts on FX armour?

There is a photo of an ROTJ trooper wearing braces that hold up the thighs. In the pic the guy is standing in front of a table wearing only the thighs and a black undersuit. You can see the braces over his shoulders. They're connected to the belt and garters that hold up his thighs.

Edited by Nassik