3d remastered Star Wars?

Femtrooper Julie

File this under 'Smack your Forehead It's so Obvious!' The blockbuster success of 'Avatar' has given 3D powerful new cache. Guess which other legendary filmmaker with the box office totals to match is seeking to bring a whole new 'force' to the format of the Gods: George Lucas.

Arguably the most important film franchise in modern filmmaking, George Lucas and "Star Wars" have inspired generations to envision new worlds of adventure. That Lucas himself keeps tinkering with the property, even adding to its mythology in varying formats, reveals a man who remains as powerfully obsessed with the material as its fans. That is what makes his recent announcement to "Access Hollywood" that he wants the "Star Wars" films re-released in 3D such a thrilling no-brainer.

The man behind the Force confirmed that he has been researching the best possible 3D conversion method, but has not been able to source the right one until now. The success of "Avatar" and its groundbreaking technologies forged by James Cameron and crew may have finally provided the breakthrough for Lucas.

"I can appreciate what he [Cameron] went through to do it," Lucas said. "[i'm] happy it's so successful, and worked very well in 3D. haven't been a big fan of 3D, but that movie definitely improves in 3D. We've been looking for years and years and years of trying to take Star Wars and put it in 3D. But, (the) technology hasn't been there. We've been struggling with it, but I think this will be a new impetus to make that happen."

Of course, factor in the stellar 3D grosses experienced around the world by films like "Avatar" and "Ice Age 3," that a pumped up "Star Wars" could match such global interest is an added incentive. Right?

http://www.examiner.com/x-1486-LA-Personal...Star-Wars-in-3D

George has been talking about doing this since 2006, to experience the SW in 3D.

He is putting this info out because all of the TV companys are planning to introduce 3D TV by the end of 2010.

Read the link

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/18/3D.home...sion/index.html

Thanks for the post Julie!

BTW, I do know the LFL has been working on the Prequels re-doing some CG stuff. I saw at Star Wars in Concert, the new CG Yoda footage for the The Phantom Menace. NO Yoda puppet, ALL CG NOW.... :o

he really should stop "enhancing" the originals and leave them be. When i saw Hayden Christensen standing in for Anakin's ghost at the end of JEDI, I went ape ****. If George wants to make a 3d Star Wars, make sequels 7, 8, and 9 in 3D. Thats what I have to say about it.

Caleb

Oh he will... Anything to make a buck. Lucas will put out the enhanced unaltered OT on Blu-ray when it has run it's course and the next media format is becoming hot.

I don't think there will be episodes VII, VII, IX put on film, But you never know, like said, anything to make a buck.....

he really should stop "enhancing" the originals and leave them be. When i saw Hayden Christensen standing in for Anakin's ghost at the end of JEDI, I went ape ****. If George wants to make a 3d Star Wars, make sequels 7, 8, and 9 in 3D. Thats what I have to say about it.

Caleb

Lucas is worth over 3 billion dollars. Just to actually see it... $3,000,000,000.00

He has no need for money. None at all. And so I don't think that he looks for ways to milk Star Wars for every penny he can squeeze out of the franchise. He protects it vigorously, but I don't think that he's in it for the money alone.

I'm inclined to think that he truly does hold an interest in television technology and that if he does release Star Wars in 3-D it will be an experiment to push the technology more than anything else. If he tried it with Howard the Duck would anyone pay attention to it? I doubt it. But Star Wars... that a whole different thing. The world pays attention to Star Wars. And though Lucas stands to make a whole lot of money if he does re-release Star Wars in 3-D I don't think that the money is his main concern. With the attention that Star Wars draws, its name, if re-released in 3-D, will be a big push for 3-D movie technology.

I doubt that we'll ever see episodes VII through IX. There have been enough statements by both Lucas and McCallum stating that those movies will never be made that I believe them. Why would they be? The Clone Wars series is moving forward and there is still a live-action series planned. That alone will create hours of film. Easily more than a trilogy would create. Lucas' main story was the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker. That story concluded at the end of Return of the Jedi and so he has no more story to tell.

Lucas will put out the enhanced unaltered OT on Blu-ray when it has run it's course and the next media format is becoming hot.

That's the ONLY thing I really demand and look forward.

I just hope they don't re-dub the italian version, I'm too emotionally tied to those voices!

Lucas is worth over 3 billion dollars. Just to actually see it... $3,000,000,000.00

He has no need for money. None at all. And so I don't think that he looks for ways to milk Star Wars for every penny he can squeeze out of the franchise. He protects it vigorously, but I don't think that he's in it for the money alone.

Um, Droid Motorola?

Trademarked and making money, Special edition (Starwars) DVD and then again on DVD but the original, music cds, Starwars in concert? Remember these?

Milking a franchise, YES!

Starwars in 3-D I have seen it! I live it everyday at every event at every troop we are the 3-D version. :P

I look forward to seeing the movies in 3-D why? I still can't get enough!

It just won't work. Not like Avatar. To go Avatar, he'd have to do... a... remake... Oh crap! and just use the audio track! NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!!1!1! :(

I'm inclined to think that he truly does hold an interest in television technology and that if he does release Star Wars in 3-D it will be an experiment to push the technology more than anything else. If he tried it with Howard the Duck would anyone pay attention to it? I doubt it. But Star Wars... that a whole different thing. The world pays attention to Star Wars. And though Lucas stands to make a whole lot of money if he does re-release Star Wars in 3-D I don't think that the money is his main concern. With the attention that Star Wars draws, its name, if re-released in 3-D, will be a big push for 3-D movie technology.

I doubt that we'll ever see episodes VII through IX. There have been enough statements by both Lucas and McCallum stating that those movies will never be made that I believe them. Why would they be? The Clone Wars series is moving forward and there is still a live-action series planned. That alone will create hours of film. Easily more than a trilogy would create. Lucas' main story was the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker. That story concluded at the end of Return of the Jedi and so he has no more story to tell.

George Lucas may have assets up to $3,000,000,000. I don't think he has to look at his wallet every time he wants to buy something, but three billion dollars are what assets he has, which include his interest in Lucas Films Limited etc., not what he has in his bank account. You and I really don't really know what interest George Lucas has any other companies. But, I can tell you one thing, that is how people who have money make money. They invest it into other companies. He protects the franchise vigorously because that is his golden ticket. I am not saying the other movies like Indiana Jones saga haven't made him money, but the Star Wars saga's are the ones that he can ride.

You stated that he is not in it for the money. If he is not in it for the money why does he keep putting out another box set and yet another box set. If he is so rich and doesn't care about the money, why doesn't he just put them on the SW website so fans can download it for free. One person could say he is tweaking it out all the time. Other people could say it is like a peek show and will pay the dollars to see what is behind the curtain.

3-D technology has been here for years. If you have ever been to any big amusement park (Disney, Six Flags, etc.) the 3-D technology was already there. Actually 4-D technology has been out there for several years too. for anyone who doesn't know what 4-D technology is, it is 3-D technology with the added 4th dimension or a sense of touch. If you are watching a movie with 4-D technology, and the wind in the movie is blowing, you will feel the wind, if there is a fire in the movie, you will feel the heat, if it is raining in the movie, you will feel droplets of rain, etc. To actually say that Star Wars is a big push for 3-D technology, is actually incorrect. Star Wars in 3-D would be a big push for George Lucas' wallet.

I have to ask you, isn't it ironic that George Lucas has started boasting again about Star Wars coming out in 3-D, right at the time television manufacturers are coming out with 3-D technology. It is all corporate now, there is no heart in it. It boils down to board meetings where the discussion is how can we raise our profit percentage by 4%.

About Episodes 7 through 9, even though George Lucas says he is not going to do that, he may wait another 10 years and say I have had so much fan mail wanting to see another trilogy, and we now have the technology to put you in the middle of it, that we are going to go ahead and do Episodes 7 through 9. If you look at Hollywood, they are bleeding to try and get decent movies out there. If there is a label or brand that already has a strong fan base, they will find a way to make them.

Lucas keeps on changing the story from being about Luke Skywalker to being about Anakin Skywalker. If anyone remembers the original concept, "Journal of The Wills" which was about Luke Skywalker's journey, not Anakin's. When the prequels pop up the whole saga is about Anakin. I have video that came off of the Biography Channel, where one of George's childhood friends recounted where he and George had made up a haunted house and charged all the kids in the neighborhood admission to come see it. After the kids had seen the haunted house and it is was not new to them anymore, and no one was coming to see the haunted house anymore, George got the bright idea to change up the haunted house and to spark new interest in it. It was still the same haunted house with some things changed around. It was announced to the neighborhood that there was an all new haunted house (George's first special edition. ever). The kids were interested and came and paid their money to go through the haunted house again. George's childhood friend said they kept on doing that for several years and the childhood friend said "I guess George kept the same haunted house promotional concept with his movies". So in it for a "buck"? I guess he has been that way since he was five years old.

BTW, I do know the LFL has been working on the Prequels re-doing some CG stuff. I saw at Star Wars in Concert, the new CG Yoda footage for the The Phantom Menace. NO Yoda puppet, ALL CG NOW.... :o

Just for the record;

The entirety of Yodas performance in TPM WILL be replaced by CGI in the upcoming "Ultimate" realease ( due out this Xmas word has it).

The footage was made during production of EpII and was part of that films budget.

Trust me, I have a relaible source. ;)

Anyone wanna buy Lucas' mini fridge from his EpII/III office in Oz? :lol:

That's the ONLY thing I really demand and look forward.

I just hope they don't re-dub the italian version, I'm too emotionally tied to those voices!

Lucas will put out as many variations as he possibly can.

I'd love to see SW in 3-D, if only to see it on the big screen again. Actually my fav version is the one done by that dude who cleaned it up on his own - name escapes me now.

Golf clap!!!!, I would rather has some of the money back for lucas for all the different editions he put out...........

And quit FN around with the movies and show some true artistry. I guess Lucas is not confident enough in his ability as a writer, director when he has to keep going back and changing things on a regular basis. If it had not been for the talented people, that were the true artist of the Star Wars Universe, who got very little credit for steering the movie, and Lucas' ex-wife, who help guide the original Trilogy, there would not be any reason for these prequels and and no need for the doors at Lucas Film Limited to be open at this time.

Just for the record;

Was his name, ADYWAN

Lucas will put out as many variations as he possibly can.

I'd love to see SW in 3-D, if only to see it on the big screen again. Actually my fav version is the one done by that dude who cleaned it up on his own - name escapes me now.

Just for the record;

The entirety of Yodas performance in TPM WILL be replaced by CGI in the upcoming "Ultimate" realease ( due out this Xmas word has it).

The footage was made during production of EpII and was part of that films budget.

Trust me, I have a relaible source. ;)

On one of the Making-of Documentaries on the ROTS DVD you can see what the Digital Yoda looks like in TPM.

This Yoda talk scares me. Can you imagine?.... what if GL decides to digitally replace Yoda in ESB and ROTJ too?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with a puppet. That's part of the charm. He didn't replace the stop motion Tauntauns (thank god) I just want him to STOP changing stuff.

The only things that should have happened with the special editions, is salvaging the original negative for archival sake, and fixing matte lines around ships. The rest was fine on it's own, un-altered!

That being said, if the 3D release happens and there were trooping opportunities, how could I NOT troop at them? It'd be a great opportunity.

I am with you, Panda. Lucas loves this CGI stuff to the point that the movie looses its soul. I remember Ron Howard talking about his audition for American Graffiti. When he sat down and was telling Lucas that he was going to film school, George told him, oh that's wonderful. Once you get in there, get into the animation department. That's where it's just you and nothing else, You don't have to worry about actors and the crew. Ron recounted that was kind of ironic that Lucas wanted to be a director, but didn't want to deal with actors, the crew and everything that it takes to make a film. So I guess if George could have his way, he would replace everyone in the Star Wars Saga for CGI characters. If you can hear me George, please leave well enough alone!!

This Yoda talk scares me. Can you imagine?.... what if GL decides to digitally replace Yoda in ESB and ROTJ too?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with a puppet. That's part of the charm. He didn't replace the stop motion Tauntauns (thank god) I just want him to STOP changing stuff.

The only things that should have happened with the special editions, is salvaging the original negative for archival sake, and fixing matte lines around ships. The rest was fine on it's own, un-altered!

That being said, if the 3D release happens and there were trooping opportunities, how could I NOT troop at them? It'd be a great opportunity.

A 3D SW? Hmmm and you have to have the goofy blue/red eye wear? What a waist of time and money. Out of one side of his face he tell's any one who will listen that "Star Wars is dead" No more SW movies. Then he pop's up some where with "Re-Do" the first movies. The a re-done set with the real or first characters replaced with CG and have it end up looking like crap. I can see doing some re-work or adding thing's he couldn't do in '76 but he go's too far. CG can add some good support to a movie, and if it's all 'toon then ok, but he's trying to replace all with CG. That's why the trooper's in the first 3 look far better then the clone's on the big screen. And I luv da clone's! :P No Uncle George, do new movie's not re-makes! And I think that the Clone Wars stuff on TV show that you can have a SW subject move that's about any thing other then "Jedi" and do very well.

A 3D SW? Hmmm and you have to have the goofy blue/red eye wear? What a waist of time and money. Out of one side of his face he tell's any one who will listen that "Star Wars is dead" No more SW movies. Then he pop's up some where with "Re-Do" the first movies. The a re-done set with the real or first characters replaced with CG and have it end up looking like crap. I can see doing some re-work or adding thing's he couldn't do in '76 but he go's too far. CG can add some good support to a movie, and if it's all 'toon then ok, but he's trying to replace all with CG. That's why the trooper's in the first 3 look far better then the clone's on the big screen. And I luv da clone's! :P No Uncle George, do new movie's not re-makes! And I think that the Clone Wars stuff on TV show that you can have a SW subject move that's about any thing other then "Jedi" and do very well.

Steve, have you seen any of the new 3D stuff? No more goofy red/blue! It really is a GREAT effect! I'd love to see the Death Star battle in 3D, or the Millennium Falcon zooming through the Asteroid belt!

I agree with the points, but personally, I'd love to have a SW movie in the theaters that I could wear my armor to! B)

Hey Steve, here is some info about the new 3-D technology:

RealD 3D cinema technology uses circularly polarized light to produce stereoscopic image projection. Circular polarization technology has the advantage over linear polarization methods in that viewers are able to tilt their head and look about the theater naturally with no loss of 3D perception, whereas linear polarization projection requires viewers to keep their head orientation aligned within a narrow range of tilt for effective 3D perception; otherwise they may see double or darkened images.[6]

The projector alternately projects right-eye frames and left-eye frames 144 times per second. [6] It circularly polarizes these frames, clockwise for the right eye and counterclockwise for the left eye. A push-pull electro-optical liquid crystal modulator called a ZScreen is placed immediately in front of the projector lens to switch polarization. The audience wears spectacles with oppositely circularly polarized lenses to ensure each eye sees only its designated frame, even if the head is tilted. In RealD Cinema, each frame is projected three times to reduce flicker, a system called triple flash. The source video is usually produced at 24 frames per second per eye (total 48 frames/s), which may result in subtle ghosting and stuttering on horizontal camera movements. A silver screen is used to maintain the light polarization upon reflection and to reduce reflection loss to counter the inherent losses by the polarization filters. The result is a 3D picture that seems to extend behind and in front of the screen itself

And here is the style of 3-D glasses... B) not the old red and blue that give ya a headache :6:

800px-REALD.jpg

And the 4-D cinemas are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, no matter when it happens, I'm trooping the premiers'!

Amen !!to that. I like how george simply replied to the press about avatar. "I make films like this" ...sounds like he has something big to pull out of his sleeve. Boy, 3d is going to be kick butt! Go LFL go

LOL, I guess Im the only one having love for Lucas nowadays.

Im glad he releases new stuff as it keeps the franchise fresch and alive.

Eg Im pretty sure the fan community wouldnt be so big now if it werent for the prequels, yet fans bash them all the time.

Bah, time to go rewatch ROTS. ;)

Let's stop and think about how the 3D releases would impact us as troopers: this would introduce another younger generation to classic star wars that has been living solely off the prequels and clone wars only. Remember what the re-release back in 1997 did? It got the entire 501st legion going! How awesome would it be to have younger kids know and recognize all of the classic characters they see at troops instead of just the clone troopers and other prequel characters? Let's put Lucas' motives aside and realize that this would be a huge boost to the recognizability of the 501st and also provide many more trooping opportunities, not just at the screenings, but there would be a big influx of 501st requests at various events and charities. :0Lighten: