Q: How to represent dual/triple EIB on the IE page

Daetrin

Now that we have some dual EIB with more in the works, the question came up on how best to represent this on the EI page.

To date we've used the background to denote EI cohort, e.g. an ANH background for ANH troopers.

One thought was to use an animated gif or similar that would rotate between pix, but we're open to other ideas.

What do you guys think?

I like the animated GIF idea. Would it be too much to add a tag in the corner? Like, ANH or ESB, etc..

I know this sounds like a lot, but in photos it will be simpler to see:

a color change of the DLT-19 to denote a multi-EIB award.

the star for multiple is a nice touch and should be kept.

a military style marker across the EIB badge itself, a rotating gif for the different poses.

lower left hand colored numbers.

keep in mind that with all of the classifications of EIB's possible I know that I can do 3 versions of the EIB

program just with ANH and ESB regular TK.

with the other EIB programs it might be interesting to have markers on the EIB in roman numbers.

with IV V and EU so a multiple EIB badge might be represented thus:

post-2173-1263782330.png

you could have silver for 2 gold for 3... use red roman numerals... ect.

rotating poses of the costume with backgrounds that are movie specific?

a marker in the upper corner like a trading card. showing the movie number

and costume classification letters.

I think it would be cool to have a trading card like option to have the photo

rotate on the front for each costume, and then when the card is clicked you'd

get a "reverse side" image with all the details and screenshots of a trooper.

this reverse side image would be presented in a front/back design with

options to print. the card graphic would resize larger when clicked

allowing it to be zoomed, printed or scrolled. the rest of the page

would be in the background but not clickable.

below the trooper's "card" we could have a legend like a map icon.

(the roman numerals) or TK classification icons.

if a trooper had 2 EIB's in ANH alone then how would you represent that?

I'd have the letters progress from black to red to gold

the IV marker would be colored for the appropriate number of ANH costumes EIB'd

Black = 1

gold =2

red =3

a key would explain the badge, and it's markers graphically with text descriptions.

I can show more examples and even code some working examples.

The transition is a bit slow IMHO, and also you're larger in the pix then the rest of the troopers. Normally there is more room for the background. Ideally it would be great if they were consistent with the other 90+ folks. :)

Still you whipped this out fast - perhaps you could lend Terrell a hand?

The transition is a bit slow IMHO, and also you're larger in the pix then the rest of the troopers. Normally there is more room for the background. Ideally it would be great if they were consistent with the other 90+ folks. :)

Still you whipped this out fast - perhaps you could lend Terrell a hand?

I'd be happy to make any edits you'd suggest.

standards are good to follow.

I'm willing to do a lot of suggestions. looks like one of my posts in the tech center got erased.

hmm...

I guess some don't know about this new conversation.

I'm sure that Terrell has a faster setup for the blend. I can make images available for him if needed.

I'm sure that Terrell has a faster setup for the blend. I can make images available for him if needed.

That would be great, removing the background from images is what is most time consuming. If I have a file of the isolated trooper or even on a SW background getting it into the frameset only takes a few minutes.

That would be great, removing the background from images is what is most time consuming. If I have a file of the isolated trooper or even on a SW background getting it into the frameset only takes a few minutes.

yeah, I'm working on getting photos with the right size to compare with the other photos on site.

I can see the dimensions used, and the size of the trooper compared to the background

is key to getting paul's suggestions correct.

I wrote a post in the tech center and someone ERASED THE POST, and wrote me a silly letter which has

a tone like I've done somthing "WRONG" by coding and putting up an example of my suggestion

for the EIB page.

I wrote a letter to paul previous to this whole conversation and he asked me to post my examples for

coding into the tech center.

so it looks to me like some of the staff just make snap judgements and erase posts, and then

send nasty letters. very childish. the letter assumes that I need some kind of "permission"

to help the site improve. the letter makes several assumptions. I've removed any referance to

exactly WHO sent this letter because I want to keep that part of this discussion private

out of respect for the person who acted in this manner.

the first assumption is that I made a page without permission.

the second assumption is that I didn't have any conversations with command staff

the third assumption is that the page is public and intended to somehow "replace"

the actual correct page.

copies of the letter can be provided to any command staff who wishes to look.

please take a moment to check out this code I created for the EIB page.

it properly credits the code found at: Dynamic Drive Expando script.

screenshot.jpg

the example page can be found here.

this idea, once accepted or rejected will be removed from my servers.

thanks.

vern

I think we're all agreed then to use animated gifs. This is what we're doing now for profile pix, so we'll just continue to do so.

I wrote a post in the tech center and someone ERASED THE POST, and wrote me a silly letter which has

a tone like I've done somthing "WRONG" by coding and putting up an example of my suggestion

for the EIB page.

Vern - this was sent by an FISD staff member and while it's great having you here, it's pretty impolite to disparage others, most especially those who work tirelessly to make this a better place for others. That kind of comment is certainly not in the spirit of "troopers helping troopers".

I'm pretty meticulous in picking staff and we work as a team. If you say something unkind about one, you're really taking us all down.

I can do animated gifs if you need them for dual or multiple EIB's

Currently Terrell (SuperTrooper) is the person who does all the photoshopping. I'd suggest that anyone who wants to help out give him a ping and see what help he needs. For example, the thumbnail pix are all devoid of any decoration other than a background. If we were to make them look more like MEPD, e.g.

td8020_thumb.jpg

Then this is a bunch of work he could have help with.

There was a suggestion about putting EIB info directly in the image but my concern about this is the rework that would need to be done should someone's status change, and to be honest I like that the background is a subtle method of making this distinction.