Who can identify this helmet?

They are in storage right now, but this weekend I'll try to take some and throw those up on here too. My friend who sculpted the armor bucks did not work for Lucas at all but somehow they contacted him for copies. I think, if I remember correctly, he had worn it to a local (Hollywood) costume party and someone saw it. So much time had passed since ROTJ that the other suits were all trashed or something and it was easier to use his than to make more? Now this is all hearsay and from my memory of events so I don't want to say anything is definite, but it is all interesting nontheless. I'm trying to remember when I got my suit and helmet and I'm pretty sure it was'96-'97. We were making all this in our spare time and it took some time to produce them all. I think we made five suits and I have no Idea how many were made for the ad campaign or when.

Thats very interesting. Your buddy must of made a pretty penny making those suits.

Ill be keeping an eye out for those photos, i think a lot of us would like to check them out.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copy that! I will try to get them up as soon as I can...Where should I post them so you guys can know what they are?

Uggh...Feel so stupid asking those kind of questions. I'll title it "Mystery Armor". Keep an eye out, I'll get them up soon.

Post them here in the Armor and Helmets discussion.

As for the subject of this thread, I have to agree with Joe that this is possibly one of the Fiberglass copies of TE's rotj background helmet. Id still say this helmet is pretty rare, especially since only a few fiberglass casts have been taken from it.

caleb

If you take a look on the tears and cap and back notches (trapezoid), you can guess the marks of the decals.

-----------

I can't pretend that I'm sure it's a copy of this original...but both are close!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Ok! According to JoeR, a friend of T*E made some fiberglass copies of the original ROTJ helmet. It's one thing that I didn't know (always a pleasure to learn new parts of the story).

So I can say that the original helmet exposed by The Prop Store of London is the one that T*E has owned. Thus we can say that this fiberglass replica and T*E's ROTJ helmets came from this original ROTJ helmet.

On the top, picture taken when T*E had the original helmet. On the bottom, picture of the ROTJ helmet from The Prop Store of London.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Super nice bud.

Good eye! Deco the same, although as decals show they must have taken copies from the outside. I wonder if they did moulds from the inside too? They would have had to ruin the rivets and unglue the ears, so maybe he did just do the outside. Will have to ask the big man himself.

I know that T*E had some issue with the ears (according to him). It's why he used ANH ears molds since it's the same shape as this ROTJ lid, which seems to be a mix between style 1 ad 2: ANH ears but machined mic tips.

That will be great when we will be able to compare it with your own replica Joe!

You talk about rivets...I always thought that ROTJ helmets (faceplate and cap and back) were just glued....

According to some pictures of original helmets with missing ear, there is no rivet :blink:

That helmet is not from the Matizza moulds. Those did not include the brow, or neck trim in the casting like this one does.

Super nice helmet mate.. quite a mystery as to where it came from

But no doubts it is from that Jedi bucket, it matches up perfecty.

Very interesting piece! I wonder what it'll look like finished off ROTJ stylee. :)

I started out hating the ROTJ bucket, but like all the others I'm coming around to it's unique look.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It was while tracing the decal details that I realized it couldn't possibly be from that TE owned original. I wanted to see how much of the original detail was still there... and it turns out that it's a lot... though, there are areas that are completely washed out... the rear area of the left tube stripes, for instance, is completely guesswork, as there's nothing there on the surface to go by... basically the three-four last stripes towards the ear.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I'd say it is cast from the same one Matt owned. It's the only helmet with a round frown with the ESB Mk2 ears, no other helmet that I have seen has these ears. I've always said that it was more like an ESB Mk2 but with a round frown and hard hat liner. True ROTJ helmet have the new sculpt left ear, your cast does not.