Contraversial belt question

OK so I have been looking on here for a while, although I don't actually post very much. I have managed to learn alot and have tried to contribute where I feel I can, but most of the answers are posted long before I get a chance to answer them lol!!

Anyway...

I have just read and re-read the conditions for ANH elite and I'm very curios as to why there is such an insistence on a canvas belt? I know there were many used for the film but there were also leather ones used so why are they excluded? I tried the canvas belt when I first started trooping and unfortunately it wasn't strong enough to support my holster let alone my holster with the blaster in it. I also read that you are trying to increase your numbers and I thought that this limitation could be perceived as counter-productive. I find it hard to believe that if I add a canvas belt to my FX armour it would be accepted yet my new TM armour(just waiting for clearance) would be rejected. I'm sure you see the point I'm making and I wondered whether others had similar views. Hey I did say it was controversial lol!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my canvas belt from Gundamzeppelin and I have had no support problems with it at all. I could walk around with a scratch built blaster that weighed 4 pounds in mine all day long with now worries. My belt fastens in the back with velcro that GZ sewed onto the belt before it was shipped it. It holds together very well. Give him a shout out.

I would love to see an ANH screen-capture of a leather belt.

Ā 

The canvas belts can be built with reinforced attach points for a holster. Another option (and the one I use) is canvas-covered, which gives you the look of canvas but with the support of the standard FX plastic belt.

I had a 30 gauge piece of plastic made in mine for extra support. It works great and I have it velcro on the inside of the belt and velcro on a few spots on my armor so it doesn't shift. It works great.

Ā 

BTW where did you see a leather belt on screen?

A plastic belt meets the minimum that will get you in the legion. Elite requirements are different. It's a step above the Legion's requirements. ;)

Ā 

There's nothing that says you can't use a canvas belt in your Elite application photos, and troop with the leather one. ;)

If you're having problems with support why not make a hybrid belt? My canvas belt has a 2 inch nylon belt inside and an ABS strip reinforcement at the holster attachment. You could easily wrap a leather belt with canvas and sew the edges as another option.

Ā 

Everything I've seen in the reference is canvas.

Hi Gary,

AFIK the insistance on Elite standards is to have a blanket standard across all troop's who want to aim for that particular set up, regardless of which Armour, it's more in the overall look with specific atributes "ticked".

Yep there are differences between "on screen troopers" & for another example as seen on E-11 Hengstler's but to maintain uniformity a vote was cast on that topic a wile back too.

Ā 

The guy's have already suggested great alternative ways to re-enforce the belt for trooping :)

Ā 

& just like Manny posted, it's above & beyond the entry requirements so should'nt discourage ppl joining up from square one.

If you have screen grab's of the alternative belt's? I'm sure others like me would like to see what you found :)

A well made canvas belt should be able to hold a holster & a resin blaster easy. Also reinforcing a canvas belt is easy enough, take a spare piece of ABS and rivet the holster threw the abs to the belt for ANH. For ESB/ROTJ that's another story the plastic would have to be put inside the belt.

Ā 

I plan on Making belts with a thin but strong flexible piece of Clear plastic on the inside that should be strong enough to handle almost any blaster.

As has been said the point of Elite (or MEPD Police Officer, etc.) is to capture the common details and to clean up a lot of the most glaring inaccuracies of the base 501st standard, not every little exception nor be 100% screen accurate on all details. I'm not aware of a screen cap with a leather belt. The only reason plastic belts are allowed Legion wide is that plastic belts shipped with FX kits and it's only been the past few years that canvas was identified as the correct material.

Ā 

There are great tutorials on how to make belts with inserts on these boards easily enough, and both Gundamzeppelin & FireBladeJedi sell ones with inserts at very reasonable costs.

Until a screen used belt lands in my/our lap its still just an assumption that they were all canvass. There are screen shots showing troopers with what could be leather or canvass. The shot of Luke's belt does look to be canvass but that doesnt mean that all belts were.

Personally, I think both leather and canvass was used. Leather looks better IMHO, its more robust, holds the holster with blaster well and is still screen accurate (prove me wrong LOL)

I think with that in mind it would be fair to allow both leather and canvass in as Elite.

Ā 

If someone can definitively prove to me that they were all canvass then I'll swap out my leather belt for a canvass one. Til then I'm sticking with leather ;)

Until a screen used belt lands in my/our lap its still just an assumption that they were all canvass. There are screen shots showing troopers with what could be leather or canvass. The shot of Luke's belt does look to be canvass but that doesnt mean that all belts were.

Personally, I think both leather and canvass was used. Leather looks better IMHO, its more robust, holds the holster with blaster well and is still screen accurate (prove me wrong LOL)

I think with that in mind it would be fair to allow both leather and canvass in as Elite.

Ā 

If someone can definitively prove to me that they were all canvass then I'll swap out my leather belt for a canvass one. Til then I'm sticking with leather ;)

You see that's the thing I was actually talking to someone who was a TK in ANH and as far as he recollected the bellts were leather. Now I know for a fact he was in it and a TK so why would I disbelieve him?

Looks like it's you and me against the world Simon lol!!!

Now I know for a fact he was in it and a TK so why would I disbelieve him?

Ā 

Well ANH was a long time ago and time has shown people to have fuzzy memories, and unfortunately some people (Joe Johnston and others) have even lied about some major details from Star Wars.

Well ANH was a long time ago and time has shown people to have fuzzy memories, and unfortunately some people (Joe Johnston and others) have even lied about some major details from Star Wars.

Jeremy Bulloch has been known to tell people that the Boba Fett armour and helmet were made out of metal.

The shot of Luke's belt does look to be canvass but that doesnt mean that all belts were.

Ā 

As has been said the point of Elite (or MEPD Police Officer, etc.) is to capture the common details and to clean up a lot of the most glaring inaccuracies of the base 501st standard, not every little exception nor be 100% screen accurate on all details.

Ā 

Elite is not about being all screen accurate, but about reaching a certain level of uniformity and trooper costumes that capture the essence of what is seen on screen. Keep in mind noone forces you to go Elite, nor does it make you a better man. If you disagree with the Elite standards, fair enough, they're just another set of rules made up by a bunch of nerds ;)

i would never think of putting is pcs of ABS inside the canvas belt to make it stronger . im going to have to make another one now.

Ā 

You can also use Styrene. ;)

Ā 

Ā 

David prowse Has been know to get a lot of Vader details wrong even the color of the lenses.

I guess if you guys are stuck on Canvas so be it, everyone has their own ideas on what works best.

I myself will stick to leather as I think it looks much better.

Honestly, did you think minds would be changed without showing a picture or screen cap? While leather looks nice, but I've never seen evidence that they were used.

Ā 

Both are totally acceptable for the Legion though.

Honestly, did you think minds would be changed without showing a picture or screen cap? While leather looks nice, but I've never seen evidence that they were used.

Ā 

Both are totally acceptable for the Legion though.

Ā 

apart from TE's testimonial (and he has been known to make some not so accurate claims before) theres no evidence that says they were all canvas.

Ā 

You see, thats the thing. With the exception of the Luke belt pic, all the other screen caps I've seen indicate to me the belts were leather or at least I perceive them to be leather.

TE was said to have held one of the screen used belts and stated it was canvass. That doesnt prove they were all canvas does it?. I'm not saying they werent I'm just saying its reasonable to assume that some were leather and to not allow leather on the shakey assumption that they were canvas from one persons word is bizzarre. Plastic no, canvas or leather yes.

As GML for the UKG I'm always trying to push people to the higher levels of accuracy and fully support 'Elite' status but I do think some of the requirements are a little too far.

Being MEPD deployed and the second ever Lancer the point isnt lost on me at all so I'm not bemoaning the FISD standards I just think there has to be a comprmise on details where doubt is present. If you were to apply the same strict rules on details to the sandies of the MEPD there would be no MEPD officers at all. Especially where doubt on what some details were are present. I think the MEPD got the balance right and the other 'elites' have taken it to the just too far level.

This is why I dont have FISD elite. I dont think the canvas belts look right, I'm a stickler for accuracy and I think my leather belt looks more accurate so I 'm sticking with it and am happy.

B)

One mans canvas is another mans leather I guess.

Hi Simon,

Ā 

I can totally understand where you are coming from. MEPD allowed this and it was actually the route I went (thank you TK409!) when I did my TD. As long as there is a screen shot to support the ask, Iā€™d be open to changing the Elite standard.

Ā 

Paul