Need help selecting helmet

Help needed. A few months ago when I started looking around for armor, I decided that with my size, almost 6'2" that FX was going to be the best option. I'm very happy with my choice; however, I should have followed everyone’s advice and gone with the FX "lite" version without the helmet, strapping, etc. In the end, I didn't use anything that came with the kit. I used plastic welder, industrial Velcro, suspenders, etc.

Now that I've got it all built. I'm very happy with it except for one thing. To quote Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer" my head ..."looks like an orange on a toothpick".

zXpcatG.jpg

Don't get me wrong. It's not that bad. It actually looks pretty good. (I know that my back plate is slding down my a$$.... I've fixed that and lowered the Cod piece) But I want to improve on the look and make the helmet look a bit more accurate. I don't have a giant head, but it's not tiny either. A friend recommended RT-Mod helmet. I want to be able to have at least one fan and my WalMart Voice Changer/Aerator Speaker system in it too. (Sounds system takes up hardly any room.) I would also like to have at least a little room to breathe. I don't want to have my face pushed up against the front of the helmet.

What would you guys recommend? I have spent a fortune on this hobby so far and my fiancée is probably going to kill me if a buy another item for this obsession. Lol. But I'm going for elite eventually and want it to look better.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I have two TE2 helmets and I have plenty of room in both with fans and my mic, I can wear my glasses in there if I wanted to as well. I have a decent size head so I think you would be ok with a TE2, you can always trim a little more around the helmet opening if its an issue. RT-Mod helmets are nice, but not as screen accuarte as a TE2, AP, or TM.

I got me an AP and a big head - 59cm. cant fit it on with my glasses

in fact I cant even get my glasses into my MRCE - I have a odd all round head - like a watermelon.

I would love a TE2

not tried a TM

remember that these more accurate lids will require the patented trooper screw top insertion :D

other thing to consider - AP is ABS, TE2 is HIPS. TM is now is ABS - I think; sure TM owners or paul will chime in on that one

I got me an AP and a big head - 59cm. cant fit it on with my glasses

in fact I cant even get my glasses into my MRCE - I have a odd all round head - like a watermelon.

I would love a TE2

not tried a TM

remember that these more accurate lids will require the patented trooper screw top insertion :D

other thing to consider - AP is ABS, TE2 is HIPS. TM is now is ABS - I think; sure TM owners or paul will chime in on that one

I can't put my FX on without turning it to the side a little first. I hope my head isn't too big! I'm going to go measure it.... I hope no one sees me. HaHa. OK, I'm a 59.5cm or 23.25inch. I'm guessing that a TE2 might be a better option. (I am assuming that a MRCE is smaller than an AP and TE2????

I can't put my FX on without turning it to the side a little first. I hope my head isn't too big! I'm going to go measure it.... I hope no one sees me. HaHa. OK, I'm a 59.5cm or 23.25inch. I'm guessing that a TE2 might be a better option. (I am assuming that a MRCE is smaller than an AP and TE2????

hey johnny - MRCE hole is definately bigger than the APs

I can fit the MRCE direct w/o any twisting and turning. only problem is its a very symmetrical lid - personally i like it, but lots of stalwarts dont. my AP requires a full 90 degree twist to get it on my melon

TE2 would be the bees knees tbh - gorgeous lid

---------

Here is a size and look comparison of the AP (left), TE2 (middle), MR CE (right). Thanks to David for sharing his collection and posting this originally.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Those helmets are beautiful! i wish we could put my fx next to them for a comparison. I have seen Starwarshelmets.com's comparisons, but not with these 3 together... For the money, the MR CE looks great, is an affordable option (and readily available). You are making my decision harder!

You look fine in the picture, so if you're the kind of guy who gets bugged by small but annoying inaccuracies in your armour, then perhaps an MRCE isn't for you. Yes, it's cheap - but there's a lot of modding to be done to bring it up to spec... Personally, the cost won out for me, but horses for courses and all that.

Man I love this pic...

Gets a ton of use!

CAP, TE2, AP, TM

Ill rate these as of ease of on and off... I have a 7 1/4 Head

----------

The AP is the smallest of the four. You can even tell in the shot its small. To make it fit my noggin I will have to cut out a little of the undercut.

The TM is second in that the Undercut I left pretty deep. That is all in my build though.

The CAP is next Then the TE2.

The TE2 is the best on and off lid. Fits the best. 4510 put it together. Beats out the CAP by a little bit though. Both are pretty easy to twist off.

The TE2 Looks great on an FX.

See...

----------

All screen accurate Lids are twist off, and are smaller. Thats the binnie. I don't mount anything in my lids, but a fan will fit just fine in all of them.

I had the MRCE, did not really like it. Its ok. Now Kevs ANHV2 is an option as well. Right smack in the middle of the FX and the Screen lids. I loved mine, kinda wish I hadn't sold it.

Edited by gmrhodes13

solve ur problem - do wot TK9135 did, get em all!!! you know u will in the end, stop avoiding it.

I had a FX, MR and now a AP. I am building myself up to the ultimate TE2 or CAP experience (prob both)

I am actually scared of using my AP cos of its cost; and like I said - I like the MRCE. other thing is, my props get a far bit of handling (ie not on official 501 buisness etc); and feel a lot better letting people muck abt with my MRCE than my AP.

of course - another point is; MRCE despite its draw backs - can be used to apply for Elite status too (after modding of course)

I feel your pain, I have a big head and my FX is actually a reasonable fit. I'm currently redoing an MRCE and I can't wear my glasses in it. I haven't yet tried any of the other helmets, but I've been leaning towards RT for my next kit because I'm a bit larger than an English stuntman in 1977.

ThayNerd said:
----------

Here is a size and look comparison of the AP (left), TE2 (middle), MR CE (right). Thanks to David for sharing his collection and posting this originally.

Great piccy. I woudnt mind adding some like tohis to my site - can "David" drop me a pm?

BTW I recently got a set of TE2 Armor + Helmet - I'm very impressed!

Cheers

Jez

Edited by gmrhodes13

You could go with any of the lids already listed in the thread I guess. Just as long as you don't go with an FG lid, you'd be able to trim the underhang to suit like Nate previously mentioned.

The MRCE was the only lid I could put on without resorting to the screw top method but once on all the rest are much of a muchness depending on assemly, in my limited experience. :)

Great piccy. I woudnt mind adding some like tohis to my site - can "David" drop me a pm?

BTW I recently got a set of TE2 Armor + Helmet - I'm very impressed!

Cheers

Jez

TE2 quality is top notch. I don't think David would mind, he's a member on here. His username is TK-2416.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've contacted a few people about pricing and availability on TE2 and haven't been able to find out much. Seems that they are not going to make any more until summer? -Or am I just not contacting the right person.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've contacted a few people about pricing and availability on TE2 and haven't been able to find out much. Seems that they are not going to make any more until summer? -Or am I just not contacting the right person.

Armor makers sometimes make limited runs of armor and helmets. TE2 just had one recently so it might be a while till the next one. Making armor is usually a hobby or second job so there can be a wait at times. Just have to be patient.

Everyone has their preferences, and some buckets just aren't made for everybody. Some may give you a bobble head look (think FX) and some may make you look like you've got a shrunken head on your shoulders (for me, the AP). I would suggest getting with some folks and trying on the various helmets so you can be sure what fits your head and looks right with your build. Personally, the budget MRCE (modded, of course) is my choice, as it's large enough for my huge grape but small enough that it looks right sitting on top of the armor. But that's me. Like I said, everyone has their favorites, but only you can determine what's right for you.

i have try ed on a few . and i have a big fat head (like a apple with eyes ). ok and a fat body to lol . so the fx lid did not make me look like a bobble head . with me being 5' 11" and 2** # i just look like a fat trooper . i even got "your a bit fat to be a stormtrooper " and sandeman said it right only you can pick the one for you . once you start putting everything inside it you start running out of room fast .

Thank you. That is good advice to try other trooper's buckets. So far I have only ever met one trooper 2 years ago when I was Boba Fett on Halloween and he had an FX bucket. Lol. Hopefully my local garrison will do something in the near future so that I can try on different lids. It doesn't look like any TE2's are going to be made until late spring/early summer so I have a lot of time if I got that route. It would be nice if someone with several TE2's would simply sell one!!! Quit hording them all. Nudge nudge. -You know who you are! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am sitting in an Airport bar in Maryland and I was just informed that I have a rather large box waiting for me at home from Hawaii!!!!!! Guess what that could be?? :-)