New and overwhelmed lol

Hey guys! My name is Connor. I’m k currently in SoCal. I’ve been looking into this the past couple days and I want to build a storm trooper, death trooper, or clone trooper costume. I have looked around a bit at storm trooper costumes and I’m just trying to figure out which one is right for me. (I’m 6 foot 4 inches 220pounds). I’m narrowing down my search a little to Anovos and WTF so far. But just trying to figure all of this out and see what is best for me. But looking forward to picking up a kit and start building. 

• Like 2

Hello Connor, and welcome to the FISD! :jc_doublethumbup:

You're in just the right place for everything Stormtrooper related, and it looks like you've already started to read up a bit on the different types of armors best suited for the taller person! Great!

When you say Stormtrooper, do you mean the ANH (A New Hope) Stormtrooper?

1 minute ago, Nairy said:

Hello Connor, and welcome to the FISD! :jc_doublethumbup:

You're in just the right place for everything Stormtrooper related, and it looks like you've already started to read up a bit on the different types of armors best suited for the taller person! Great!

When you say Stormtrooper, do you mean the ANH (A New Hope) Stormtrooper?

Thanks Nairy! Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes right now I’m looking at ANH storm trooper. I’m still open to something else but I have been mostly looking into ANH

• Like 1

The ANH TK is our most popular costume! I think it is a great choice too with all the different makers available!

This thread might be a good read, if you haven't read it already!

• Like 1

Is there anything specific you'd want to know that we can help you with, just ask away here! :)

1 hour ago, StormPatton007 said:

Hey guys! My name is Connor. I’m k currently in SoCal. I’ve been looking into this the past couple days and I want to build a storm trooper, death trooper, or clone trooper costume. I have looked around a bit at storm trooper costumes and I’m just trying to figure out which one is right for me. (I’m 6 foot 4 inches 220pounds). I’m narrowing down my search a little to Anovos and WTF so far. But just trying to figure all of this out and see what is best for me. But looking forward to picking up a kit and start building. 

Welcome Connor!

As a 6'2" 275lb ANH TK, I can tell you that there is a lot to be said about finding the correct armor. I've built several kits, and all of them required a little something extra to fit me as the original actors (who most of these kit molds are based on) were all under 6' and about 170lbs. That said, just about all of them can be modified to fit anyone with a little bit of shimming and possible some abs paste.

With that said, I will throw my suggestion out there to check out Dave's Darkside Depot on Facebook. Dave is the current maker of the AM kits, and these are designed for "bigger" troopers. He says he even built one for a 6'7" 300lb member. So there is some flexibility. I've used some of WTF's parts to improve my ATA kit, so I know that Walt makes some bigger parts as well. Anovos is IMHO best for someone closer to the original actors sizes.

Best of luck to you on whatever you choose! We are here to provide as much assistance as we can. And I know that there are a lot of active members in SoCal, so be sure to get on their Garrison forums and FB pages. I'm sure they would be happy to provide additional assistance in a local manner!

I look forward to seeing your build thread once you decide on the armor to buy!

:popcorn:

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Connor! 

Looks like others have gotten you started here with some great links, but just wanted to echo that we're all here to help out with any questions you may have along the way!

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Connor, looks like the crew have you well on your way with research.

Enjoy your new journey and ask plenty of questions along the way.

4 hours ago, jsilvius said:

Welcome Connor!

As a 6'2" 275lb ANH TK, I can tell you that there is a lot to be said about finding the correct armor. I've built several kits, and all of them required a little something extra to fit me as the original actors (who most of these kit molds are based on) were all under 6' and about 170lbs. That said, just about all of them can be modified to fit anyone with a little bit of shimming and possible some abs paste.

With that said, I will throw my suggestion out there to check out Dave's Darkside Depot on Facebook. Dave is the current maker of the AM kits, and these are designed for "bigger" troopers. He says he even built one for a 6'7" 300lb member. So there is some flexibility. I've used some of WTF's parts to improve my ATA kit, so I know that Walt makes some bigger parts as well. Anovos is IMHO best for someone closer to the original actors sizes.

Best of luck to you on whatever you choose! We are here to provide as much assistance as we can. And I know that there are a lot of active members in SoCal, so be sure to get on their Garrison forums and FB pages. I'm sure they would be happy to provide additional assistance in a local manner!

I look forward to seeing your build thread once you decide on the armor to buy!

:popcorn:

Awesome thanks so much! I appreciate all of the info. I’m definitely going to be doing a lot of research but I’m looking forward to finding what I think will be best for me and get to building 

• Like 2

This is probably a stupid question but i see people using "TK" everywhere. What does TK stand for? 

Also i think i have narrowed my costume shopping down to daves dark side depot because im tall and i think his kit will be one of the few that will fit me. I have been watching some assembly videos and assembly seems over whelming as far as adjusting snap plates to the correct position and possibly shimming things. I really want to build one so i can get good at it and start other cool builds down the road but i just dont know if i am way in over my head trying to assemble one of these. i have done rc modeling quite a bit in my life but this just seems like next level. I dont know maybe i am over thinking this. I probably am lol. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StormPatton007 said:

This is probably a stupid question but i see people using "TK" everywhere. What does TK stand for? 

Also i think i have narrowed my costume shopping down to daves dark side depot because im tall and i think his kit will be one of the few that will fit me. I have been watching some assembly videos and assembly seems over whelming as far as adjusting snap plates to the correct position and possibly shimming things. I really want to build one so i can get good at it and start other cool builds down the road but i just dont know if i am way in over my head trying to assemble one of these. i have done rc modeling quite a bit in my life but this just seems like next level. I dont know maybe i am over thinking this. I probably am lol. 

It's from the original 1977 Star Wars, the prefix for Stormtrooper call number.

When Luke and Han are in disguise walking off the Falcaon, the commander in the control room asking why they are not responding to call "TK-421 why aren't you at your post?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StormPatton007 said:

A couple of threads on the subject

It can look daunting at first but if you've delve into RC or any plastic model kit building you will be just fine. There are plenty of great builds and people ready to lend a hand, we also have gallery areas full of references and sizing.

Many have DDD (AM) armor and are very happy with it.

• Like 3

Hello Connor,  welcome to the most fun and exciting hobby you will ever know.  Imagine putting on your completed helmet for the first time, looking in the mirror and smiling from ear to ear, then grabbing your blaster and running through the house yelling pew pew pew.  
Great choice starting with the storm trooper. I also did my TK first and then did a death trooper.  The death trooper was definitely a tougher and more technical build. Here at FISD, you have a great team of people that will help you to succeed. Never be shy to ask questions even if they seem silly.  We all want you to succeed and look your best trooping for the 501st.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StormPatton007 said:

I really want to build one so i can get good at it and start other cool builds down the road but i just dont know if i am way in over my head trying to assemble one of these. i have done rc modeling quite a bit in my life but this just seems like next level. I dont know maybe i am over thinking this. I probably am lol. 

The adage "one step at a time" applies here. Looking over a full kit can be overwhelming, especially if it is your first kit. Thinking about a kit in terms of its sections is helpful in giving you something smaller and seemingly more manageable to focus on. Conveniently, the Costume Reference Library (CRL; the document you will need to refer to when building to make sure you meet the 501st Legion's costuming requirements) for each stormtrooper is broken down into the different sections of each armor. As you bring more and more pieces to completion, you can then be a bit more confident when thinking how everything will come together.

Have you reached out to your local garrison? In addition to the forum here, the folks in your local garrison can be super helpful in-person, and you may be able to join an armor party (a gathering to work on armor)!

Southern California is split among two garrisons. The Imperial Sands Garrison covers San Diego County and Imperial County, while the Southern California Garrison covers the Los Angeles area and much of the rest of SoCal. Here are their websites:

Imperial Sands Garrison: https://imperialsandsgarrison.com/our-garrison/

Southern California Garrison: https://southerncaliforniagarrison.com/home/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doggydoc said:

Hello Connor,  welcome to the most fun and exciting hobby you will ever know.  Imagine putting on your completed helmet for the first time, looking in the mirror and smiling from ear to ear, then grabbing your blaster and running through the house yelling pew pew pew.  
Great choice starting with the storm trooper. I also did my TK first and then did a death trooper.  The death trooper was definitely a tougher and more technical build. Here at FISD, you have a great team of people that will help you to succeed. Never be shy to ask questions even if they seem silly.  We all want you to succeed and look your best trooping for the 501st.  

Yeah I’m definitely going to build it man. I think I’m going to order my kit this week. I just need to start looking at a lot of build threads and watch alot of videos. I want it to come out as nice as it can. Thanks man!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tilheyra said:

The adage "one step at a time" applies here. Looking over a full kit can be overwhelming, especially if it is your first kit. Thinking about a kit in terms of its sections is helpful in giving you something smaller and seemingly more manageable to focus on. Conveniently, the Costume Reference Library (CRL; the document you will need to refer to when building to make sure you meet the 501st Legion's costuming requirements) for each stormtrooper is broken down into the different sections of each armor. As you bring more and more pieces to completion, you can then be a bit more confident when thinking how everything will come together.

Have you reached out to your local garrison? In addition to the forum here, the folks in your local garrison can be super helpful in-person, and you may be able to join an armor party (a gathering to work on armor)!

Southern California is split among two garrisons. The Imperial Sands Garrison covers San Diego County and Imperial County, while the Southern California Garrison covers the Los Angeles area and much of the rest of SoCal. Here are their websites:

Imperial Sands Garrison: https://imperialsandsgarrison.com/our-garrison/

Southern California Garrison: https://southerncaliforniagarrison.com/home/

Definitely! I’m trying to just think about it one step at a time. Looking at it as a whole is pretty over whelming lol. I have not talked to my local garrison. I will join them and see if they have any build nights coming up soon. Thanks for the help!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, StormPatton007 said:

Definitely! I’m trying to just think about it one step at a time. Looking at it as a whole is pretty over whelming lol. I have not talked to my local garrison. I will join them and see if they have any build nights coming up soon. Thanks for the help!

I'm an IT guys, I don't do a lot of work with my hands. If you had told me 4 years ago that I would have built my own, plus 3 others and am currently working on 2 more, I would not have believed you. I still have issues with the Helmet, the ears are just something I can't seem to grasp. The first I had a lot of local garrison help, the next few only help with the helmets. The 2 I'm working on currently I'm taking all that I learned and trying to make them meet our EI levels. So don't be to worried about it. Lots of help here, and I'm sure your garrison will be able to help you as well.

Biggest suggestion I can make is small cuts. If you have to cut it a couple of times, or sand it down some, it is a lot easier than adding it back on. ;)

You've got this! And we are all here to help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StormPatton007 said:

One recommendation I would give you when ordering that I did and it was a life saver is to ask for an extra set of ear pieces and some extra cover strip material.  I messed up my first ear trying to countersink the screw and went right through. 

1 hour ago, jsilvius said:

I'm an IT guys, I don't do a lot of work with my hands. If you had told me 4 years ago that I would have built my own, plus 3 others and am currently working on 2 more, I would not have believed you. I still have issues with the Helmet, the ears are just something I can't seem to grasp. The first I had a lot of local garrison help, the next few only help with the helmets. The 2 I'm working on currently I'm taking all that I learned and trying to make them meet our EI levels. So don't be to worried about it. Lots of help here, and I'm sure your garrison will be able to help you as well.

Biggest suggestion I can make is small cuts. If you have to cut it a couple of times, or sand it down some, it is a lot easier than adding it back on. ;)

You've got this! And we are all here to help.

Ok sounds good I am a machinest but when it comes to stuff I’m excited about like rc cars and now Star Wars costumes I am so excited to finish it and use it that I normally rush things and mess up. I just need to take this slow and just be patient

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Doggydoc said:

One recommendation I would give you when ordering that I did and it was a life saver is to ask for an extra set of ear pieces and some extra cover strip material.  I messed up my first ear trying to countersink the screw and went right through. 

Noted! I will definitely do that if I end up building the helmet. The helmet is the one thing I’m thinking I might not build. I was thinking I might have Dave build it and out the voice changer and fan in it and then I would paint it. Idk. The helmet does seem scary to build. But I really do like how nice the inside of the helmet looks when Dave puts all the electronics in it 

• Like 2