ANH Stunt "fitting/adjustment" thread (AP)

BAZINGA

Because of bad travelling conditions my family postponed Christmas day so I puttered around with my arms.  I moved up the forearms about 1/2 inches which didn't translate to the same at the wrists, but there was an improvement.  I found if I moved the bicep up about half an inch I had the best fit for spacing and comfort so despite not wanting to do anymore adjusting I am and have adjusted the bicep snap again.  This now must be the last adjustment before I drive myself crazy.

Forearm still not centred to my liking:

8YoDeqv.jpg

Pulled the bicep up a bit and it feels better here:

4DKgrVm.jpg

Beginning to think my arms change length every day since this shouldn't be this hard to find the happy spot for this:

PDAER8N.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so after strap adjustment number 4 or 5 I think I have the forearm centred nicely top to bottom so elbow and wrist seem about the same gap, with normal and expected movement, and the biceps in such a position that I feel fairly comfortable when bending my arm.  Still lacking some padding in the forearms but that is an easy one to do.

I think I can move on to fitting the rest now.

- Duplicate the right arm to the left for strapping positions.

- I have ordered modified shoulder elastic from AP that will hopefully rotate them forward a bit.

- I am going to add the butt plate v-tabs today to try and see if that is enough to reduce the bit of butt flare I'm seeing.  I haven't found any other threads that seem to apply or give me additional ideas.

- Still thinking on the drop box move over fix.

- Waiting on the neck seal to finish the top and the harness so I can fit the thighs correctly.

- Will add the velcro tab on the front of the boots and inside the shins for rotation fix.

- I have the white elastic for the back of the shoulder straps but just can't position it well on my own yet (But all considered I'm able to dress 90% of myself now which is way better than when I started).

Thoughts?

Bart

B6XOdts.jpg

PwU4AhW.jpg

This is me smiling because I think I am done with the arm sizing and see the light at the end of the tunnel (at least I don't think it is the train coming down) for the rest of it.  I felt somewhat closer to stromtroopery look this morning.

I know I can paint the front of the tips white to keep moving it forward in accuracy.  Again, easy to do.  Does the height of the helmet look correct?  This is unaltered.   It just has the padding it comes with from AP on the top and sides.  I am going to use a hard hat harness ultimately to snug it onto my head to reduce the bobble head feel for me.  As it sits right now I'm looking pretty much dead centre out of the eyes (not that I can see a lot).

KdfEDnQ.jpg

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Bartman:

Ok, so after strap adjustment number 4 or 5 I think I have the forearm centred nicely top to bottom so elbow and wrist seem about the same gap, with normal and expected movement, and the biceps in such a position that I feel fairly comfortable when bending my arm.  Still lacking some padding in the forearms but that is an easy one to do.

I think I can move on to fitting the rest now.

- Duplicate the right arm to the left for strapping positions.

- I have ordered modified shoulder elastic from AP that will hopefully rotate them forward a bit.

- I am going to add the butt plate v-tabs today to try and see if that is enough to reduce the bit of butt flare I'm seeing.  I haven't found any other threads that seem to apply or give me additional ideas.

- Still thinking on the drop box move over fix.

- Waiting on the neck seal to finish the top and the harness so I can fit the thighs correctly.

- Will add the velcro tab on the front of the boots and inside the shins for rotation fix.

- I have the white elastic for the back of the shoulder straps but just can't position it well on my own yet (But all considered I'm able to dress 90% of myself now which is way better than when I started).

Thoughts?

Bart

B6XOdts.jpg

PwU4AhW.jpg

This is me smiling because I think I am done with the arm sizing and see the light at the end of the tunnel (at least I don't think it is the train coming down) for the rest of it.  I felt somewhat closer to stromtroopery look this morning.

I know I can paint the front of the tips white to keep moving it forward in accuracy.  Again, easy to do.  Does the height of the helmet look correct?  This is unaltered.   It just has the padding it comes with from AP on the top and sides.  I am going to use a hard hat harness ultimately to snug it onto my head to reduce the bobble head feel for me.  As it sits right now I'm looking pretty much dead centre out of the eyes (not that I can see a lot).

KdfEDnQ.jpg

That's some nice work on your arms, good to see how much the over-all look has improved!

I, personally, would recommend getting the helmet as low as possible, so you can view through the inner upper corners of your lenses. This gives you the best field of view to the sides and downwards, so you don't end up tackling too many small kids :rolleyes::laugh1:

Maybe try what it feels like without the padding at the top and if that works for you? OT Troopers did have their helmets extremely low, here shown with the reference pics from Joseph's CRL Reference Guide:

oZJo3tr.jpg?2vCMA48e.jpg?1KzPKam5.jpg?1FAKhPZ2.jpg?1AK9w0mr.jpg?1B3vL4VO.jpg?1

Although there's really no need to go quite this low with the helmet, I think it helps with the overall appereance.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Morgi said:

That's some nice work on your arms, good to see how much the over-all look has improved!

I, personally, would recommend getting the helmet as low as possible, so you can view through the inner upper corners of your lenses. This gives you the best field of view to the sides and downwards, so you don't end up tackling too many small kids :rolleyes::laugh1:

Maybe try what it feels like without the padding at the top and if that works for you? OT Troopers did have their helmets extremely low, here shown with the reference pics from Joseph's CRL Reference Guide:

oZJo3tr.jpg?2vCMA48e.jpg?1KzPKam5.jpg?1FAKhPZ2.jpg?1AK9w0mr.jpg?1B3vL4VO.jpg?1

Although there's really no need to go quite this low with the helmet, I think it helps with the overall appereance.

Thanks.  I do feel the arms are working good now.  Probably easier to sort out than it ended up for me, but once I got my head around the strapping it wasn't too bad to work on.  I can say I had a personal hand in a small amount of the work to get it looking good!

Yes that is easily done removing the helmet foam.  The top padding is fairly thick.  Once I puzzle out how I'm going to do the hardhat suspension I hope to have that held in with velcro so I can play with the higher/lower position easily and find the sweet spot.  I can probably lower it at least a half inch yet and still see through the tops fairly well maybe even more once it sits secure on my noggin. 

Bart

Morgi's is a huge suggestion. Having the helmet as low as possible is extremely helpful for your vision. Also try to get your eyes as close to the lenses as you comfortably can. Both of these fitting tricks really help you to actually live happily inside the armor. My own bucket has only some fuzzy velcro on the top to allow it to sit as low as possible and my lenses fit like glasses - very close to my eyes.  I have no problems seeing and really enjoy being inside the bucket.

Your arms are looking great! I hope to see them both on shortly. :peace:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

Morgi's is a huge suggestion. Having the helmet as low as possible is extremely helpful for your vision. Also try to get your eyes as close to the lenses as you comfortably can. Both of these fitting tricks really help you to actually live happily inside the armor. My own bucket has only some fuzzy velcro on the top to allow it to sit as low as possible and my lenses fit like glasses - very close to my eyes.  I have no problems seeing and really enjoy being inside the bucket.

Your arms are looking great! I hope to see them both on shortly. :peace:

Hey I can get one arm on by myself now in under a minute.  Two is going to be asking a lot!  I'm still celebrating arms today.  It's arm day and Star Wars has been playing just about non-stop on Showcase so listening to that for inspiration as I putter around.

It's my darn glasses that will be the biggest hold back on where the helmet can finally sit.  I can't not wear them or I'd have a headache and be walking into everything.  I like the idea of looking through the tops of the lenses instead of the middle and I think that is achievable.  Getting close to the lenses with my glasses maybe not so much.  I'll see.  No pun intended.  I wish I could wear contacts, but that's not an option for me either.  Stupid eye problems.

I have the helmet padding now from Amazon so can play with that a bit too.   There is padding over each ear as well which I probably need to reduce too as it interferes with getting my head in the thing.  I've been told I can have an ego, but I didn't think it was enough to actually physically swell my head. 

Slowly but surely.

Bart

• Like 1

Personally I only have a bit of foam about an inch high and the width I don't know - it's running along my whole forehead (just over the lenses) and in this way I get more space in the front of my helmet for various electronics - and I have no issues! I could probably fit some glasses if they are of a small variant that sit tight against my head! With just the chin strap in the first position the helmet follows my head movements and sits low enough to even hide if I wear a neck seal or not! (of course I do, but still) :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Nairy

10 minutes ago, Nairy said:

Personally I only have a bit of foam about an inch high and the width I don't know - it's running along my whole forehead (just over the lenses) and in this way I get more space in the front of my helmet for various electronics - and I have no issues! I could probably fit some glasses if they are of a small variant that sit tight against my head! With just the chin strap in the first position the helmet follows my head movements and sits low enough to even hide if I wear a neck seal or not! (of course I do, but still) :smiley-sw013:

I do not have a chin strap. Did you add one yourself?  I would add that if after doing everything else I am still getting too much bobble.  

Bart

6 minutes ago, Bartman said:

I do not have a chin strap. Did you add one yourself?  I would add that if after doing everything else I am still getting too much bobble.  

Bart

I didn't add it myself on this helmet but it is very raw in its construction! Just a popper with two elastic straps, a male on one and a female on the other, and it sits inside the helmet by just utilizing the screw, nut and washer that is already there!

Edited by Nairy
  • Like 1

Regarding glasses: I too wear glasses. Thick padding in the front of the helmet (similar to what @Nairy said) works wonders. I got absolutely no problems wearing them inside the helmet due to the padding. Just gotta get enough distance in the front of the helmet. 

You can try out chinstraps, but I found that they left me with headaches and troubles moving my jaw. If you add enough padding on the sides of the helmet, there shouldn't be too many bubblehead feelings. A lot of that is personal preference (comfort vs appereance).

• Like 2

oqUwIDd.png

This is my stunt helmet, and almost everything here is outdated (image taken when test fitting my mic system), except the foam on the forehead - and here you can see how it looks! I've done the same in my Hero helmet which is my main costume!

And personally, apparently having a buckethead for a head I don't have any issues moving my jaw or issues with headaches and such regarding the use of chin straps! Maybe there is something wrong with me! I can even use my Hero helmet for hours without a hint of a headache! :laugh1: @Morgi

Edited by Nairy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morgi said:

Regarding glasses: I too wear glasses. Thick padding in the front of the helmet (similar to what @Nairy said) works wonders. I got absolutely no problems wearing them inside the helmet due to the padding. Just gotta get enough distance in the front of the helmet. 

You can try out chinstraps, but I found that they left me with headaches and troubles moving my jaw. If you add enough padding on the sides of the helmet, there shouldn't be too many bubblehead feelings. A lot of that is personal preference (comfort vs appereance).

I go to the hard hat suspension for a couple reasons.  One, I wear one at work and am used to how they feel and can keep the hardhat stable and two, what some of the local TKs are doing so I see their stuff and get their take on it.  The final fit is still up to debate.  I'm going to experiment for sure as this is one area that everyone will have a different comfort level with.

For basic approval I don't have to have the interior finalized and I fully expect some additional tweaking for comfort will happen over time.  Would be very hard to hit the ground running and expect no further adjustments.

As I'm adding fans too there is a bit of fiddling yet for the helmet.  I'm looking forward more and more every day to getting pre-approval photos up.  I feel it is within reach now.  Two weeks ago I didn't think it was ever going to get there.

Bart

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nairy said:

oqUwIDd.png

This is my stunt helmet, and almost everything here is outdated (image taken when test fitting my mic system), except the foam on the forehead - and here you can see how it looks! I've done the same in my Hero helmet which is my main costume!

And personally, apparently having a buckethead for a head I don't have any issues moving my jaw or issues with headaches and such regarding the use of chin straps! Maybe there is something wrong with me! :laugh1: @Morgi

There is foam in this photo?

No judgement if you head fits the shape of this interior.  Good for you! haha.

I laugh when I wear the helmet as is because it looks exactly like a bobble head on me.

I don't know if I am going to put the icomm in the helmet yet.  I see pros and cons to extra devices in there.  but that isn't decided yet either.

Bart

If we're sharing outdated pictures of our helmet interiors, I can join in:

IPdexM7.jpg

Taken a long time ago, but aside from removing my chin straps nothing changed. The front padding is at around 3.5cm and at the back I got two 5mm strips, fit around the curve of my head.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Bartman:

I go to the hard hat suspension for a couple reasons.  One, I wear one at work and am used to how they feel and can keep the hardhat stable and two, what some of the local TKs are doing so I see their stuff and get their take on it.  The final fit is still up to debate.  I'm going to experiment for sure as this is one area that everyone will have a different comfort level with.

That's good to hear. I can't stress enough how important a comfortable helmet is, when you're running around in it for up to 10 hours... :smiley-sw013:

@Nairy is magic, you can take his helmet comfort and compare it to my mobility. Possible, sure, but not at all the norm :laugh1:

EDIT: Comfort doesn't just mean headaches. I found it incredibly difficult to put on and remove my helmet if I always have to open/close the chinstraps. Just pulling it on and off is way easier if you don't have to deal with the chinstrap. Especially, in cases of medical emergencies. If you tend to get dizzy spells or something like that, your chin straps might mean the difference between getting an emergency glucose and crashing to the ground in full armor. I oftentimes get trouble with my blood sugar and for me it's essential that I can pull of my helmet in seconds at times.

Edited by Morgi

1 minute ago, Morgi said:

If we're sharing outdated pictures of our helmet interiors, I can join in:

IPdexM7.jpg

Taken a long time ago, but aside from removing my chin straps nothing changed. The front padding is at around 3.5cm and at the back I got two 5mm strips, fit around the curve of my head.

That's good to hear. I can't stress enough how important a comfortable helmet is, when you're running around in it for up to 10 hours... :smiley-sw013:

@Nairy is magic, you can take his helmet comfort and compare it to my mobility. Possible, sure, but not at all the norm :laugh1:

I will  look at every helmet interior no matter how dated!

That is a big bit of foam, more than I would have guessed.  Interesting.  I may need that as I do find the front of the helmet bottom edge seems tight against my throat so moving it forward is probably a good thing.

Bart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

It's my darn glasses that will be the biggest hold back on where the helmet can finally sit.  I can't not wear them or I'd have a headache and be walking into everything.  I like the idea of looking through the tops of the lenses instead of the middle and I think that is achievable.  Getting close to the lenses with my glasses maybe not so much.  I'll see.  No pun intended.  I wish I could wear contacts, but that's not an option for me either.  Stupid eye problems.

Do you own or have you considered some sports goggles? I only wear glasses to read (like now, typing at the screen), but have known folks who wear a type of goggles while doing sports. Specifically ground fighting.... so they REALLY stay in place. They look similar to swim goggles, but without quite the same seal to the skin. They're also impact resistant.

Hmm. Googling seems to indicate they are indeed called prescription sports goggles. Might be worth looking into for trooping? Most are extremely low profile, so they should fit in the bucket well.

And lastly, I gotta get in on the bucket interior pic parade. :laugh1:

tk81.jpg

Mine is a VERY tight fit, but that's all the junk in my bucket.

- Modified pads for my ears which contain hacked apart studio headphones for

- The rear mounted hearing assist (usually has a piece of black fabric over top

- amp and iCOMM mounted up high

- fans at the very front by the hovi speakers with battery mounted at the chin :smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

Do you own or have you considered some sports goggles? I only wear glasses to read (like now, typing at the screen), but have known folks who wear a type of goggles while doing sports. Specifically ground fighting.... so they REALLY stay in place. They look similar to swim goggles, but without quite the same seal to the skin. They're also impact resistant.

Hmm. Googling seems to indicate they are indeed called prescription sports goggles. Might be worth looking into for trooping? Most are extremely low profile, so they should fit in the bucket well.

And lastly, I gotta get in on the bucket interior pic parade. :laugh1:

tk81.jpg

Mine is a VERY tight fit, but that's all the junk in my bucket.

- Modified pads for my ears which contain hacked apart studio headphones for

- The rear mounted hearing assist (usually has a piece of black fabric over top

- amp and iCOMM mounted up high

- fans at the very front by the hovi speakers with battery mounted at the chin :smiley-sw013:

I don't think I'd care for it to be that full!

I'd have to look into the goggles however the last time I had something similar they were for swimming and they couldn't actually make them to my prescription requirements.  They were okay for a bit of swimming, but to wear them for anything else I wouldn't want to.  I have not great eye problems and just to have glasses that aren't Coke bottle bottoms thick is a challenge.  I'd prefer just having my normal glasses.  Not ruling anything out yet.

Bart

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bartman said:

IThat is a big bit of foam, more than I would have guessed.  Interesting.

In my image you can see white foam that is pretty much this exact size :D

1 hour ago, Nairy said:

In my image you can see white foam that is pretty much this exact size :D

Yes after I really looked close I could see the white foam.  Almost invisible!  I have some white foam about an inch thick so if I need to go the same route I should be covered.  I'm currently thinking if I should swap the current lens material for the thicker variety.  I bought some from Trooperbay in the event I do this.  I don't know if it should be done first or after everything else is installed in the helmet.  I also think that maybe that is advanced work and I should just leave it alone for a bit!

Bart

18 hours ago, Bartman said:

I'm currently thinking if I should swap the current lens material for the thicker variety.

Any particular reason why you'd swap it out? My brain is just going: Thicker lens => Less space inside in front of your face, will you be able to see out of it? (thinking a bit about the current material that is already darkening everything a lot)

Edited by Nairy

3 hours ago, Nairy said:

Any particular reason why you'd swap it out? My brain is just going: Thicker lens => Less space inside in front of your face, will you be able to see out of it? (thinking a bit about the current material that is already darkening everything a lot)

By thicker I just mean not the plastic film type.  It's not that thick, but no chance of wrinkles and less distortion.  I also am trying to have the same overall look as the local TKs that I'll spend the most time with.  Keep the group appearance the same.  But as with everything, nothing is written in stone just yet.  I'm going to remove the padding in the top in the next day or two and start working with the fit first.  Bart

• Like 1

Hello There! 

First of all , I want to thank you Bart for starting this thread and I want to thank everyone for their feedback and advice on Bart's journey. I recently acquired a secondhand set of ANH Stunt armor made by WTF and this thread in particular has been very informative in helping me understand what I need to do to get the armor to fit me properly. I do still have a lot of questions though and I am wondering if this thread would be a good place to ask them since most of them are related to fitting and adjusting, or of I should start my own new thread as to not hijack Bart's thread?

Thanks again to all  

• Like 1