ANH Stunt "fitting/adjustment" thread (AP)

BAZINGA

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

I also feel the shoulder will need to rotate a bit more forward but, again, I want to get the length correct then have a second set of eyes on me when I am fitting to figure out the shoulder adjustment if required.

Bringing the snaps further forward on the should strap elastic will help the shoulder bells to pull forward when moving your arms back to rest position

1MTWUi1.jpg.d1ff9aa19e4f47cee21e98ccf000e7a2.jpg

That would be another thing I'd have to find a different solution for.  I don't have the ability to make new shoulder elastics to reposition the snaps.   I'm hoping after the arms are fitted properly and I can get help to put both on at once the position aligns as it should.  Something on this has to work out if for no other reason then the law of averages.  Bart

Am I making any headway?  I dropped the bicep about an inch.  It seems right for position.  I taped up the forearm to the bicep to get an idea of where to centre it.  It's better, but not perfect.  Where should I further adjust?  Fighting a sinus infection so feel like crap so just making very small adjustments so I feel like I am making progress even if not a lot of it.  No padding added yet.  I know I will need some padding.  Bart

oUpkMoB.jpg

kxWJcDv.jpg

The bicep looks good to me. Good height for it. Does it feel good?  You might hook the shoulder bell onto your torso for test fitting each time since you'll be wearing it that way. The arm can slouch down on its own if not strapped at the top.

I run my bicep-forearm strap at the very front, basically along the cover strip. Though it doesn't seem like it would be out of the way there, it is indeed out of the way there and helps keep things aligned correctly. There should be about a finger's width between the bicep and forearm. Like 2cm or so.

Your forearm looks raised quite a bit above your hand armor. If you moved the strap around and lowered the forearm, I think it would be more comfy and look better.  And you might wanna just use tape to hold the forearm elastic in while you're moving it around trying to find a comfy spot for it. That way you're not blowing through a lot of elastic, e6000 and time.

Reference of the strapping position, on top just off center, this keeps the spacing about the same when moving, it will change drastically if you have strapping on the inside or outsides of the arms. Reduce the gap at the wrists by bringing the forearm down a little more. Take a look through some of the Centurion threads, compare the spacing on their arms ;) 

gallery_12157_59_184989.thumb.jpg.6f515da13e66612724095bd2e8235e84.jpg

21 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

The bicep looks good to me. Good height for it. Does it feel good?  You might hook the shoulder bell onto your torso for test fitting each time since you'll be wearing it that way. The arm can slouch down on its own if not strapped at the top.

I run my bicep-forearm strap at the very front, basically along the cover strip. Though it doesn't seem like it would be out of the way there, it is indeed out of the way there and helps keep things aligned correctly. There should be about a finger's width between the bicep and forearm. Like 2cm or so.

Your forearm looks raised quite a bit above your hand armor. If you moved the strap around and lowered the forearm, I think it would be more comfy and look better.  And you might wanna just use tape to hold the forearm elastic in while you're moving it around trying to find a comfy spot for it. That way you're not blowing through a lot of elastic, e6000 and time.

I'm not sure if any of this armor feels good when being worn, however nothing is uncomfortable to the point it is sticking me.  I didn't put on the torso tonight as the sinus infection has me a bit dizzy at times and I didn't want to end up falling over in it.  I was just after an approximation tonight to ensure I was on the right path.

I put the bicep to forearm strap where it would be on the inside of the elbow.  That was its original placement when I got the armor.  You're saying that is wrong?  

I have just been using tape for the forearm strap.  I'd like to find the happy spot so I could glue it in and move onto the next thing.  

Bart

22 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Reference of the strapping position, on top just off center, this keeps the spacing about the same when moving, it will change drastically if you have strapping on the inside or outsides of the arms. Reduce the gap at the wrists by bringing the forearm down a little more. Take a look through some of the Centurion threads, compare the spacing on their arms ;) 

gallery_12157_59_184989.thumb.jpg.6f515da13e66612724095bd2e8235e84.jpg

So you are saying move the strap to just inside the cover strip?  This photo seems to suggest that on the bicep side, but not on the forearm side which seems another width away from centre.  This is confusing.  I got it with the straps dead centre on the inside elbow side so I just put them in the same place.  I've been looking at dozens of photos trying to sort out the forearm centering distance.  I'm just trying to hit the spot that keeps it about centred on my forearm.  I've been moving the tape around with the elastic to try and find it, but now I'm gathering I have to move the position of it completely on both the bicep and the forearm.  Bart

In the image the elastic has dropped down slightly under the forearm, it should be the same position as on the bicep. The elastic goes under the top, off center, so it's towards the inside of the arm. Many don't get the elastic right and doesn't allow full comfortable movement. 

Ok so I will redo that and move it maybe so the cover strip edge meets the elastic edge on the inside.  Does that sound right?  Am I understanding the position?  I looked at another photo and that seems to be a fair estimate on the position.  Bart

• Like 1

I was able to score some 2" heavy duty elastic locally.  The wide stuff would be preferred and more screen accurate?  I'm going to try and size some arms up tonight if possible.   Hoping for a better fit now with the planned connection point move.  Bart

The arm elastic linking the forearm and biceps are 50mm 38 cord - one arm elastic total length was 230mm the other was 240mm. Gallery

Feeling much better about the arm progress tonight.  I taped in the 2" elastic on the front cover strip so it covers that space and towards the inside arm.  The cover strip alignment instantly corrected between the bicep and forearm which was nice.  The visible elastic from the other attempt I think would hide nicely with the undersuit in this new position.  I'm not 100% sure I would need to use the 2".  It would certainly have a big gluing area.  Spacing seems better on the forearm top and bottom.  Not sure what the camera was trying to focus on, but you get the general idea.  Should I proceed with some gluing or still not right?  Go with the 2" or the more popular 1" elastic?  This stuff is pretty heavy duty.  Apparently used to make suspenders.   Bart

lU3Xx6g.jpg?5

SkltLjz.jpg?1

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

Feeling much better about the arm progress tonight.  I taped in the 2" elastic on the front cover strip so it covers that space and towards the inside arm.  The cover strip alignment instantly corrected between the bicep and forearm which was nice.  The visible elastic from the other attempt I think would hide nicely with the undersuit in this new position.  I'm not 100% sure I would need to use the 2".  It would certainly have a big gluing area.  Spacing seems better on the forearm top and bottom.  Not sure what the camera was trying to focus on, but you get the general idea.  Should I proceed with some gluing or still not right?  Go with the 2" or the more popular 1" elastic?  This stuff is pretty heavy duty.  Apparently used to make suspenders.   Bart

lU3Xx6g.jpg?5

Gaps look much better, 2" is more accurate but many use the thinner elastic, it's not something which gets picked on at basic or in fact higher levels.

See a little persistence and you are almost there ;) :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks.  The OCD has been very, VERY rough though.  If I take it slow the task doesn't get as overwhelming.   I have a hard time deciding on what elastic to use though. Tomorrow I'm hoping to put the torso back on and snap in the arm again with these changes then get opinions then get to the glue.  Getting the arms right puts me at 75% of the top half being fitted nicely which is a milestone for me.  Bart

• Like 1

I also have just about got the back gap to something less wide after adjusting the snap position.  I think when both arms are on it will level the rest of it.  Clearly the shoulder bells are rotated more back than forward but I am weighing that fix too.  I also do not have elastic yet for the shoulder straps, but some hot water got those much better too.  I removed the velcro too.  And regarding the comment about the drop box alignment.  The way they are on the belt seems to give them half an inch movement forward or back so I think I can easily fix that once I get the other areas whipped into shape.  Bart

b737r3U.jpg?1

Decision time.  I'd like to finish the arms this weekend.  This is the best fit yet using the 2" bicep to forearm elastic on the cover strip and inside the cover strip.  Do I need to make further adjustments or am I beating a dead horse now?  I'm a bit lopsided yet because I can't get both arms on by myself.

Things to do yet on the top half of me:

1) Return edges on the butt plate to remove.  I think I have arranged some in person help and guidance for that and the thigh return edge removal.

2) Figure out the drop box thing.  I think it's just a case of some glue.  They slide an inch in either direction.

3) Rotate the shoulders a bit forward.  I think 1/2 inches would fix up that gap.

4) You guys tell me,

What I've done so far (much to my amazement because I'm out of my wheelhouse here):

1) Dropped the chest over the abs.

2) Dropped the back to the butt plate.

3) Added a right side overlap prevention latch.

4) Got used to removing glued strapping and regluing.

Yes, small miracles in my mind.

Bart

VS6ObXo.jpg

MOwxIJz.jpg

jxBAUJP.jpg

PBdRghn.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!  Is it great?  At this point my OCD with fitting everything right has exceeded my ability to make a critical decision regarding it.  That might not make sense unless another OCD reads it.  Or you are just being nice and tired of my OCD?  I couldn't blame you.

You know, I can't tell you if it felt good or not so I'm going to say it must have been comfortable enough that I didn't take notice of anything uncomfortable so that's a positive.  I have to add a bit of padding in the forearm I think just to space it around my arm nicely.

I can still make adjustments.  Nothing is welded in yet except the strap snaps on the top of the bicep and I can yank those up and move them if need be.  

Bart

Trust me, I know from OCD. I know it too well. I used to polish my armor after literally every troop until I decided I liked it weathered in a certain way. Now I try to maintain that weathering... OCD can be brutal.

It took me about 10 troops to get my armor truly feeling GOOD and fitting me as I wanted it. That involved those cheap tactical paintball helmet pads in various spots. I like them because they're about $15 for a full set (amazon), stick onto velcro dots, and can be easily removed for washing and moved around for the perfect fit.

I have padding on the inside edge of my forearms. The inner elbow edge (elbow armpit?). With padding there and how I have my bicep-to-forearm strap, it keeps any armor bites from happening. The forearm armor touches the bicep armor without any pinch happening on the inner forearm.   This works well for me. Others have padding on the elbow itself to keep the forearm smooshed up against the armor and prevent bites that way. Others have no padding at all and don't seem to have issues.

For your drop boxes, I think a little elastic needs to come out to keep the boxes in their correct spot. Where that trimming needs to be done is hard to say, but it looks just ever so slightly long.

Back gaps look great to me.

• Like 1

Happy you understand!

I was going to use some of the dense weather stripping that I can stick on but maybe I will try amazon Canada for these pads you speak of instead.  If you have a link to the USA Amazon for them that would be helpful.

I had no pinches when I bent my arm with the current fitting.  I am most concerned about the gaps being within "ideal".  I was very happy to see how the moved elastic lined up those cover strips forward so nicely.  I did admire that victory for a bit.  haha.

The belt snaps on this seem to be exceptionally strong.  So much that normal force can't unsnap them so I haven't tried to force them off to get a good look how the drop boxes are attached.  I don't think the elastic is too long though.  I might need to post some video.  I'll get those sorted for sure once I get the arms and butt plate done right.

I had arranged to help out the local Garrison with a fundraiser tomorrow.  I wasn't going to be wearing this armor but I was going to get to watch/learn/be a helper with others armor which would have been very valuable, but this stupid sinus problem and now potential weather problems for travel is going to keep me away.  I am not happy about missing it.  I'll get the arms done instead which is still a win in one area.

Bart

1 hour ago, revlimiter said:

Trust me, I know from OCD. I know it too well. I used to polish my armor after literally every troop until I decided I liked it weathered in a certain way. Now I try to maintain that weathering... OCD can be brutal.

It took me about 10 troops to get my armor truly feeling GOOD and fitting me as I wanted it. That involved those cheap tactical paintball helmet pads in various spots. I like them because they're about $15 for a full set (amazon), stick onto velcro dots, and can be easily removed for washing and moved around for the perfect fit.

I have padding on the inside edge of my forearms. The inner elbow edge (elbow armpit?). With padding there and how I have my bicep-to-forearm strap, it keeps any armor bites from happening. The forearm armor touches the bicep armor without any pinch happening on the inner forearm.   This works well for me. Others have padding on the elbow itself to keep the forearm smooshed up against the armor and prevent bites that way. Others have no padding at all and don't seem to have issues.

For your drop boxes, I think a little elastic needs to come out to keep the boxes in their correct spot. Where that trimming needs to be done is hard to say, but it looks just ever so slightly long.

Back gaps look great to me.

Aoutacc Universal Airsoft Helmet Pads, Helmet Replacement Foam Padding Kits Set Accessories Mats for Fast/Mich/ACH/USMC/PASGT Helmet (EVA Foam, Black) : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

is this what you mean for padding?  Bart

Wow, that's at least a double kit. That's not bad at all!!!

And yeah, that's the stuff. They're about half the thickness of real military helmet pads and are perfect for padding arms, knees, and even bucket areas that don't need thick stuff. That double pack will last you for a while if you get it.

• Like 1

89400-cent-30.jpg

That's my belt strapping for reference. Even after a year of troops it still sits this way. Those drop boxes won't stretch elastic much themselves.

You can see the discoloration on my canvas belt. That's from superglue. My straps CANNOT go anywhere but the correct place. There's no allowance for any slop. However, they're also not too tight. They're just right.

When and if you adjust yours, make sure to account for their position when worn. The leg armor makes the boxes move forward a bit. They don't just hang down straight, they hang down and out a bit when worn with the thigh armor.

Of course, there's many ways to skin this cat. This is just mine as done by @Scimitar.  When I was building the spare belt for my HWT, I marveled at how nicely Eric built this one and really labored to reproduce it.

• Like 1

I'm going to hazard a guess that the backs of mine aren't glued and the movement I can see is just as it tries to stretch around the snap.  If I can figure out why the snaps are so darn tight that I can't unsnap them then the fix would be super easy.  It will get done.  By the end of the year I am hoping to be able to have all aspects fitting correctly to me then I can tweak the smaller details.  

Immediate OCD is to glue or not to glue the arms as shown.  Is there a voting method here???

Bart

P.S. just ordered the single kit foam because the double set was up to 6 weeks away and I'll want them sooner.  Can always order another if need be, but one should fit the arms easily enough and maybe some of the leg area if needed.

The arms turned out fantastic, Bart!  Yeah, the drop boxes could definitely be raised a bit and moved toward the rear.. in a perfect world they should look like the diagram below.

Not to add to your list of woes, but I have 2 other easy to remedy suggestions if I may.

1.  In the first pic it shows the top of your ABS belt covering the bottoms of the ab/button panels, but in the second pic it shows it sitting a little low.  Not a requirement for Basic, but since the snaps that connect the cloth belt are already set, what you can do is use a piece of industrial Velcro (bottom photo).  I use this same method.  I borrowed Adam's pic to illustrate this.

2.  In the second photo, I noticed that you have a point on the inside of the top of the forearm.  This will poke into you, especially since while trooping we have our right arm bent in most of the time while carrying an E-11.  I would suggest taking some sandpaper and rounding that off. ;)  Trust me.

sCoQQ4j.jpg      2Vukvsh.jpg      ERDwSO6.jpg   

Axz7vGi.jpg

On a side note:  DANG I'm glad to see what a great job you did removing all those return edges!  :D  Keep up the great work, Bart.. you are doing fine!

6 hours ago, revlimiter said:

Trust me, I know from OCD. 

The inner elbow edge (elbow armpit?).

I still say we need to start an OCD support group here.  I'll be the first to sign up.. :laugh1:

It's called the antecubital fossa, but elbow armpit sounds perfect.  I am so going to steal that phrase, Adam.

• Like 2