New recruit from NY, preparing for BBBD!

Hey everyone,

For the longest time I've wanted to build myself an ANH set of storm trooper armor, and years ago I started doing some research, but wasn't at the point in my life where I could justify taking the dive. Today I'm a garbage man (so you know Ive escaped a trash compactor or two), a firefighter, and have myself a family, so of course now is the perfect time, with all that free time I totally have now haha. I enjoy being active in the community with the fire department, and I feel being a member here and doing troops would be a great opportunity to do more.

I've read through the forums and checked out a bunch of the EIB submissions and whatnot and finally ordered my ANH stunt kit from AP, now waiting on BBBD!

The AP kit seems to come with most everything to get me to centurion, and I've been working on ordering a neck seal, boots, possibly an E-11, and a cold and hot weather undersuit, and as I get closer I'll start a thread on https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/ I believe it's the right place.

Probably my biggest concern at the moment is the snaps and rivets, because that's something I haven't worked with before. Any recommendations on how to go about doing the snaps/rivets or what tool(s) to use? Is it much more beneficial to do the 2 snap method? With the way everything gets attached together, I will probably do a belt garter for the legs, or possibly suspenders.I want to be able to practice straps/snaps before BBBD so I've got all the trial and error out of the way and to know how I want to attach all the armor (maybe I'll build a box costume for my daughter as practice).

If there's anything you think I'm missing let me know.

Thanks for having me, and I'm excited for this build and to join the legion!

Edited by Zsleagth

Hello and welcome aboard, great to see you have done some research, here is a great thread full of info and snap setting 

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

• Like 1

Hello Mark and welcome to FISD.

Glad to read you have made your research and your goal is level 3 :peace:.

Looking forward for your BBB Day and Build Thread. Remember we are here to help every step on the way.  Ask all questions , post photos.

Take a look to the index provided by Glen there you will see the 6th  tittle   Strapping Systems  .  :salute:

• Like 1

Having just done the snaps on my AP set that I am building, there is definitely a learning curve to setting them.  As many have recommended, I bought the Tandy snaps as you want quality ones to make sure they hold.  I got the 100 pack and likely wasted 10 to 15 when I started with mistakes in setting them,  there are lots of videos that show you how.  From my experience, don’t hit the snap setting tool too hard as it will bend the snap post and offset the 2 pieces.  Make sure you are on a solid surface.  I used my garage or basement floor which is concrete.  The circular motion with the setting tool is essential to get the snap post to flare out evenly.  Just go slow with the hammering.

justjoseph has a great resource in the all in one TK Index as Glen and Mario pointed out above.

• Like 2

Hello Mark, welcome to FISD.:salute:

While you are waiting for your kit, you can do some research on the forum (check out some of the previous ANH build threads...).;)

Thank you, will do!

I had checked out a bunch of the strapping threads, I guess it's just being nervous because it's that new territory and reading helps, but reading can only help so much until you actually start doing.

Appreciate the support!

Any thoughts on 1vs2 snap straps? I assume it just lessens the weight load per strap? Or does it help keep things in place better?

29 minutes ago, Doggydoc said:

I went with 2. From what I understand it is more for a backup so you don’t have a strap failure. 

That is correct, I had a shoulder bell snap fail once and it would have stopped me from trooping if I didn't have the spare. It is a little more expense but well worth it.

5 minutes ago, Zsleagth said:

So 2 will be the plan then!

Here's @justjoseph63 guide for snap placement

R63O0di.jpg

Welcome, to the home of shiny white armor, Mark!   As a few have mentioned, the 2 snap system is the way to go to ensure nothing comes apart.  Once you get your kit (or even before) I suggest starting a build thread in this section.  You are always encouraged to ask as many questions as you like, but keeping those (and posting LOTS of photos) in one place will help get you answers a lot faster.

Speaking of photos, I can't stress enough how important it is to include them with your questions, especially if you have an issue.

Just take... your... time, hit us up for anything you need, and I look forward to watching your build!

I have a few tutorials under my signature at the bottom that may help. ;)

One question: I've been looking at the humbrol paints and I've noticed that they have a couple different versions. So for example humbrol #85 there's the enamel tin, and the acrylic bottle. Is there a difference between the enamel and the acrylic?

18 minutes ago, Zsleagth said:

One question: I've been looking at the humbrol paints and I've noticed that they have a couple different versions. So for example humbrol #85 there's the enamel tin, and the acrylic bottle. Is there a difference between the enamel and the acrylic?

Yes the enamel gives you a more full gloss finish, the acrylic paint dries dry/matt in appearance. With the enamel you will need to apply a couple of thin coats as if you go to heavy it can wrinkle when drying, also give a day between coats just to make sure the first coat is fully dry.

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Yes the enamel gives you a more full gloss finish, the acrylic paint dries dry/matt in appearance. With the enamel you will need to apply a couple of thin coats as if you go to heavy it can wrinkle when drying, also give a day between coats just to make sure the first coat is fully dry.

Great, something to consider for sure if I use the enamel paint!

I haven't seen much discussion on it, but is there a preference as far as screen accuracy?

Most of what I've seen hadn't specified either which way, though being I've only been digging around a short time, it's totally possible I just haven't come across it yet.

1 hour ago, Zsleagth said:

Great, something to consider for sure if I use the enamel paint!

I haven't seen much discussion on it, but is there a preference as far as screen accuracy?

Most of what I've seen hadn't specified either which way, though being I've only been digging around a short time, it's totally possible I just haven't come across it yet.

Enamel is what is believed to have been used so it's the more screen accurate. 

Hey Mark,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have your hands full in life. As with many of us, you’ll be juggling TK stuff in amongst the daily grind.

Regarding the paints, all of mine for TKs are Enamel. I find that these give a very authentic finish.

1bfa50fd845c1d441f424f7d0b339625.jpg

If you’d like any tips on hand painting an ANH Stunt helmet, please feel free to check out my recent video series:

Regarding Snaps (commonly referred to as “poppers” in the UK), I found this video very useful. This maker uses single snaps, but there is no reason why you couldn’t double up if you need to. (I’ve never felt it necessary, but, many choose double snaps).

Great to have you join the forum and great to see you’re asking lots of questions. You’re on the path to the dark side, for sure.

Best wishes,

CableGuy
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 1:38 AM, CableGuy said:

Hey Mark,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have your hands full in life. As with many of us, you’ll be juggling TK stuff in amongst the daily grind.

Regarding the paints, all of mine for TKs are Enamel. I find that these give a very authentic finish.

1bfa50fd845c1d441f424f7d0b339625.jpg

If you’d like any tips on hand painting an ANH Stunt helmet, please feel free to check out my recent video series:

Regarding Snaps (commonly referred to as “poppers” in the UK), I found this video very useful. This maker uses single snaps, but there is no reason why you couldn’t double up if you need to. (I’ve never felt it necessary, but, many choose double snaps).

Great to have you join the forum and great to see you’re asking lots of questions. You’re on the path to the dark side, for sure.

Best wishes,

CableGuy

Awesome, thanks! I'll check them out. I spent a bunch of time over the years painting Warhammer models, but my only weak spot is freehand painting, so those tube stripes are gonna give me a bit of a pause, but I'm sure they'll come out great once I figure out the angle.

• Like 1

I bought stencil templates from trooperbay and they worked great. 
I thought about this, but since AP provides the decals, I might just cut out the stripes and use that as a stencil

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zsleagth said:

I thought about this, but since AP provides the decals, I might just cut out the stripes and use that as a stencil

Hand painting is more screen accurate for sure, I have unsteady hands so I went with the Dave M decals from trooperbay which give the appearance of hand painted. 

If using templates if you paint white first it will fill any areas which may bleed then apply color coats after completely dry.

• Like 1

I'm just curious while I'm waiting for everything to come in, if there's anything I can realistically do while I wait. The only thing I can think of that isn't directly part of the armor is the straps, but I probably don't want to do any of them without the armor present because I would want the straps to be a particular length so that everything fits the way I want to. Then again, I could probably make some of the smaller straps that attach the chest/ab/kidney, and just place them accordingly I would think? I'm done with fire school for the year and I don't have anything in particular to do while I wait so I'm probably just overthinking things .

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hi Mark,

Personally, I’d probably just use this time to do more research. Check some other AP builds, visit starwarshelmets.com and check out the original trilogy Stormtroopers, watch some build tutorials etc. All of this will help you with a better build.

Although you’ve ordered AP, this series of videos from RS is worth a watch. Very informative and discusses details of the original suits throughout.
You won’t be able to follow all of it as the AP armour will be a little different, but, the overall process is pretty good to watch.

• Like 1

Well hello Mark. I just saw your post on the ECG forums and here you are on the FISD. As you can see the folks here have started you on the right path. Like my buddy Dan has mentioned, the best thing to do now while you are waiting is research.  I know Dan probably won’t mention it but there are a lot of great videos on YouTube from this guy named CableGuy. Check it out. 

Also some other informative videos can be located on trooperbay.com. Research is key at this point. Time to study up. 

• Like 2