ForeverFan's ANH Anovos Stunt build

TK88667

It started a long long time ago - 1977 to be exact.  It wasn't far far away- just Albuquerque NM.  But I saw THAT movie - and those white gladiators on the screen - never-mind they often seemed to be getting blasted and didn't shoot very accurately.  I was hooked on Stormtroopers!  That shiny white armor - the cool grimacing frown...  That summer and fall, I cut, shaped, rolled stapled  and painted cardboard pieces into makeshift armor.  I was in 3rd grade and built a very crude TK armor set for Halloween that year.  My only regret is I don't have a picture to share (moms Polaroid was out of film).  Ok, Ok - i'm dating myself here, but the point is I've wanted to be a Stormtrooper for a long long time. I married young, and money was always tight - so the cost of armor kept it out of my reach, until this last Christmas.  Thanks to a generous girlfriend - I was gifted an Anovos TK kit.  She found it second hand on Ebay.  Honestly, i'm not even sure it's an authentic Anovos kit.  But it arrived in early Feb - and I've been tinkering with it ever since.   I fully intend to join the 501st, and have connected with my local garrison.  They have helped along the way, and I'm grateful for the input.  I always find myself checking back with here as i over analyze the details.  So today - I finally said F%@K it.  I'm going to put myself out there and post pics of my progress.  I'm getting close with the body armor - but have left the helmet to last.  So i'm here for feedback, guidance and insight.  I'll post some back pics of progress, and get myself current on my build.  Then I can post pics of this helmet build. 

Here are the pics of my BBB.  As I said, I'm a ways past that day - and thanks to threads from Justjoseph63, UKswrath and CableGuy to name just a few- there has been serious progress.  More photos to come.  Looking forward to sharing. Thanks in advance for you patience with this old dog wanting to learn new tricks.  

60248411553__CD9424BE-E35E-4633-A671-5DA50A40AEFA.JPG

60248412530__F2367E37-C826-4F67-B456-1373BDC792F8.JPG

60248414563__A4968E40-9E22-4B83-97D7-6F59B5CEC788.JPG

• Like 1

Congratulations and welcome to FISD. 

As many of us, you are on the way of make a dream come true and at the same time do good. 

Keep on posting photos of your advances and feel free to ask questions. 

We are here to help. 

Cheers. :salute:

• Like 1

Congrats for starting the journey to TK!  It's a blast! 

Post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions - we are here to help. 

You will want to get a Imgur or Tapatalk or... whatever account to host pictures.  The forum does not allow a lot of room for images.  Here is a link for Imgur.  Tapatalk can be more buggy (in my experience) but you can post directly from your phone.

• Like 2

Thanks Greg.  I'm loaded up with Imgur and i'll start posting pics tonight.  I need to get to the helmet, as i don't want to wait anymore and need some input.  :-)

• Like 2

OK - guys, need some feedback.  Working on my helmet now.  This one has been challenging. First and foremost - eyes and mouth cut outs.  How are the eyes looking?  Do  I need any more trimming? Any feed back would be appreciated?

AKB0ncZ.jpg

Eye cutout

F6fgzTY.jpg

gXEfNHN.jpg

Also  the teeth/mouth?  more?  Less?  

GzSdQo6.jpg

qrlEoHb.jpg

gXEfNHN.jpg

Will the Grey paint fill in /hide any of the small imperfections?  Are the openings large enough (2nd, 3rd & 4th openings from the middle)

Edited by ForeverFanFirstTimeRecruit

34 minutes ago, ForeverFanFirstTimeRecruit said:

Will the Grey paint fill in /hide any of the small imperfections?  Are the openings large enough (2nd, 3rd & 4th openings from the middle)

They're ok. 

6vKWiBO.jpg

sfS9Av2.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good so far, Ken.  I must say that this is the first Anovos helmet I have seen that has to be assembled.  All of the ones I've seen so far were assembled at the factory.

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Looking good so far, Ken.  I must say that this is the first Anovos helmet I have seen that has to be assembled.  All of the ones I've seen so far were assembled at the factory.

Joseph,

Let me just say that I'm honored to have you reply to my post.  I've been scouring your posts ever since I found out I was receiving armor (Dec 25th). 

Regarding the armor - I'm sure you know much more than me. This is my first armor set/build.  The question came up with my local garrison while I was corresponding on FB.  Short answer is I don't know.  The armor was a Christmas gift from my girlfriend who bought it used on EBay.  She was told it was "Anovos" armor.  It did not have numbering stickers on it but some of the pieces had been been trimmed so  I just assumed the previous owner had removed it?   To that end, I'm not sure of the maker?  i've been following UKswrath Stunt build and it seems to be working.  Do you have suggestions what I should follow to build the helmet?

4 hours ago, ForeverFanFirstTimeRecruit said:

Do you have suggestions what I should follow to build the helmet?

Building a helmet is pretty much the same thing regardless of were you got it from but if you follow the link above he also have videos of him building it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSwede said:

Anovos do sell helmet kits.

Maybe so, but that face plate is not Anovos and the shoulder bridges are very soft. Could actually be an RS. I'd have to see more parts to have a better chance of positively identifying the maker of the kit. Either way, building it is the same no matter who made it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

... the shoulder bridges are very soft. Either way, building it is the same no matter who made it.

I agree with you on the shoulder bridges being soft, but I am thinking this is an Anovos recast, as the uncut pieces below have too many similarities.  

1.  Right side raised at one end.

2.  Straps ends are offset, with the left side lower than the right.

EOLzraM.jpg   Akm14Nt.jpg

In comparing the large tabs they don't look like RS.

RS                                    RS

2goA046.jpg   kG1c0ic.jpg   yiuZ27G.jpg

How do the bridges come from RS out of the box?

Remember that Anovos is a cleaned up recast of RS -  that I am 100% sure of. The Anovos bridges in the photo you posted is showing the backside and they look almost the same, just sharper, which is typical of all Anovos parts.

1 hour ago, troopermaster said:

How do the bridges come from RS out of the box?

RS cleans up their bridges a lot better, and they come out of the box like this:

yiuZ27G.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Anovos do sell helmet kits.

Well, that helped me rule out that this is not an authentic Anovos helmet kit.  My pieces are not near that crisp or clean (around the edges).  I didn't have any of the additional parts, and my ears are uncut.   But to me it doesn't matter.  This is my first armor and I want to drive forward and complete it. 

• Like 3

Just now, ForeverFanFirstTimeRecruit said:

But to me it doesn't matter.  This is my first armor and I want to drive forward and complete it. 

Now that's the spirit! Just keep posting pics and asking questions and you'll be a shiny white plastic spaceman before you know it!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 2

Afternoon all,

I've spent a fair amount of time messing around with the helmet and trimming the edges for the ears.  i've got lots of questions, so better I take them a bit at at time.  First - the brow- do i need to trim it up more (see the red line on the pic)?

D2InPl0.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the left side (as you are wearing the helmet).  looks like front and back will meet, and the ear piece will cover.  It looks like it will come together with the rivet (or screws)  But do I need to trim back more of the cap and back piece?  The Anovos helmet kit that TheSwede posted seemed to be cut more below the ear and sweeping back towards the rear of the helmet?  AuN8vCk.jpg 7Ee9aqe.jpg

ok - right side (as you wear the helmet)... I am stumped?   look at the pics below.  see the gap? looks like the mold ended short, or something.  look at the gap.  Not sure how to fix it?  tried using a magnet to pull them together, but it align.  Do i heat it or water bath it?  the material is fairly thin here - worried about "meltdown".  Also trimming the edge - seems like the ear wants to align more vertically vs sweeping back (like I am told it needs to align with the angle of the back side of the trapezoid?

SdN8gko.jpg

7s0Gd0W.jpg

XqqDT7q.jpg

iXoMNMc.jpg

any advice would be appreciated.  

14 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

RS cleans up their bridges a lot better, and they come out of the box like this:

yiuZ27G.jpg

True, RS shoulder bridges are 2 separate pieces, and mine were almost all the way trimmed to final.