Im 16

Hey guys, I just thought that this would be important to ask. I am 16, so obviously I cant join the 501st yet. However, I have wanted to be a stormtrooper for almost 6 years now, and now I have saed up and almost have the money to do it. I plan to join the 501st later on of course. I cant stress how badly I want this though. Is it better to pull the trigger now or wait until im 18? Im probably going to buy no matter what the response is but I am curious how people under 18 are treated in the community.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome, really depends on how much you will grow, costumes are made to your size and some can be adjusted but it is some work. There is a group for under 18's and it's called the Galactic Academy, http://www.galactic-academy.net/. Now although they don't organise events some garrison's, squads, outposts allow GA members to attend some of their events (normally if an adult is present) but you would have to check with your local garrison, you can unit listing info here http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#garrisons

No issues with you being on this or other communities.

Good luck

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Logan B. said:

Hey guys, I just thought that this would be important to ask. I am 16, so obviously I cant join the 501st yet. However, I have wanted to be a stormtrooper for almost 6 years now, and now I have saed up and almost have the money to do it. I plan to join the 501st later on of course. I cant stress how badly I want this though. Is it better to pull the trigger now or wait until im 18? Im probably going to buy no matter what the response is but I am curious how people under 18 are treated in the community.

My advice is; you to wait until you're 18+ for kits. It's not that there's doubt you cant assemble the kit, but your growth. The costumes are size fitted / specific. If you create a TK kit right now, there's a chance it wouldn't fit in the following years. 

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Junos

Welcome, Logan!  As mentioned, waiting until you are 18 (or close to it) would be the best option for beginning your build.  That said, however, once you have the money you can purchase your kit and get the helmet completed.  

I wouldn't suggest purchasing boots or an undersuit yet, as you may still have some growing to do, and boots are not inexpensive.

You didn't mention what type of TK you are looking to build, but you could also source your weapon(s).  There are 3D printed and resin kits depending on which type of TK you are aiming for, so by the time you are ready for your armor build you will one step ahead of the game.

Choosing your armorer will be your most important decision, so be sure to check out this area and this one as well.  If you have any questions about anything (including weapons) just ask.

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

(...)  You didn't mention what type of TK you are looking to build, but you could also source your weapon(s).  There are 3D printed and resin kits depending on which type of TK you are aiming for, so by the time you are ready for your armor build you will one step ahead of the game.   (...)

Exactly this. Don't underestimate the time, a good blaster build can take. We just had @Dracotrooper completing his build after more than 2 years! But we have also seen builds here of just 2-3 months. It all depend on the level of accuracy and your time to build.

In another thread you asked about RS Prop Masters, so I guess you are aiming for a classic Stormtrooper. In that case you might need an E-11 blaster. If you have access to a 3D printer, then go this route. Otherwise check out the popular resin kits and feel free to contact me for detailed questions on this topic.

• Like 1

@T-Jay is spot on about the blasters.  I have built several using the Doopydoos resin kit from the UK, and they can definitely take some time.  The good thing about those is that, being resin-cast, the amount of sanding/prep is about 95% less than doing a 3D print one.  They are also extremely accurate, especially if you want to go for the details.  He may be shy about mentioning it, but Tino provides a FANTASTIC E-11 finishing kit to go to the next levels of realism.  I've used them a few times, and the difference is amazing!

This thread may also help.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the responses. People may be disgusted by this, but I want to buy the complete set first so that I don't totally ruin my first armor, with that being said I still want to learn everything about assembling a kit and doing all the work yourself, but im am extremely nervous about buying a kit because I don't want to waste the significant amount of money im going to spend. I already know that everyone will tell me not to go for this, but I think my choice is well educated. I might actually get a few sizes to big just so that I can grow into it. I wont be making my purchase if I do for another few months so I will have some time to consider.

11 minutes ago, Logan B. said:

Thanks everyone for the responses. People may be disgusted by this, but I want to buy the complete set first so that I don't totally ruin my first armor, with that being said I still want to learn everything about assembling a kit and doing all the work yourself, but im am extremely nervous about buying a kit because I don't want to waste the significant amount of money im going to spend. I already know that everyone will tell me not to go for this, but I think my choice is well educated. I might actually get a few sizes to big just so that I can grow into it. I wont be making my purchase if I do for another few months so I will have some time to consider.

Hi Logan, your desicion is all yours and will be the best for you. Let us know here in this forum when your Kit arrives, open a building thread and you won't be alone in the process, here we have tons of info and so experienced troopers willing to help you made your dream of being a Stormtrooper come true.

By the way if you haven't done yet, you may want to take a look to the following forum sections so you can be familiar with the building process.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

And feel free to ask, ask and ask whatever you need.  Looking fordward to see your BBB day Photos in a near future.

Cheers and again, Good luck with your project.  :salute:

11 hours ago, Logan B. said:

People may be disgusted by this, but I want to buy the complete set first so that I don't totally ruin my first armor, with that being said I still want to learn everything about assembling a kit and doing all the work yourself, but im am extremely nervous about buying a kit because I don't want to waste the significant amount of money im going to spend. I already know that everyone will tell me not to go for this, but I think my choice is well educated. I might actually get a few sizes to big just so that I can grow into it. I wont be making my purchase if I do for another few months so I will have some time to consider.

First, I can assure you that no one will be disgusted because you want to buy a completed (pre-built) set of armor.  Many folks do not have the time (or space) to build their own, so this is a nice option that some sellers offer.

However, all of us were nervous on our first build!  It's a significant investment for sure, but with the help of others here on the FISD we made it.  In many cases, those that make mistakes either try to rush through their build or don't ask questions before cutting/gluing.

Whether you decide to opt for the commission set or decide to build your own we are here to assist you in your white armor journey with whatever you need.  :duim:

12 hours ago, Logan B. said:

I also ordered a commission. RS for example doesn't use "fixed" sizes but asks for measurements of various spots to get the sizing correct. Sizing up proactive doesn't work that easy due to that

Hey Logan!

As the rest here were saying, buying a commission is always an option, and I can totally understand how nervous you are! Personally I'd go the "Blaster first, armor later" route, that's what I  did back then. Making the blaster can be just as challenging as you'd want it to be because there are so many modifications you can, but don't have to go for. You'll find your own way, and once you're done with that, there's still plenty of time to build the armor (or buy a commission). However, in the meantime you will have probably "grown out" or, you'll have noticed you don't grow anymore. Either way, just take your time, and if you ever feel comfortable building the armor yourself as well, like many here said before, we're here for you and always happy to help!

• Like 2