Armor Build Toolbox

So, I trying to plan list what I need to put together a "TK Toolbox"

If there is a tool you use building armor and dont see it on the list let me know!

Here's what I have so far.

TK toolbox

rivet gun / rivets

snap gun / snaps

dremel / sanding drums

x-acto / extra blades

soldering iron w/ "burning block"

drill / bits

kitchen scissors

flat / phillips screwdriver

clamps!

I found these very helpful.

utility knife with sharp blades. (Much better than an exacto for scoring long straight cuts.) Wear gloves.

sanding block for cleaning up the edges.

Fabric tape measure.

Novus polish.

ABS cement if it's ABS armor.

Lots of strapping material

Lots of industrial velcro

Foam padding

Spare ABS (or HIPS) to make snap plates with

All good suggestions.

I'm thinking along the line of tools and not materials.

I'm that guy (like many of us) who will show up at an armor party and build a suit for 8 hours and just ask you to bring me beer and some BBQ off the grill while everyone else is playing ROCK BAND.

Basically I want a TOOLBOX. The tools I need to assemble snaps-n-staps, and build helmets.

:)

I did consider a leather punch for straps but I found a soldering iron will put a nice cauterized hole through nylon strapping like nobodys business :blink:

Heya bro - show up at my house ANYTIME :) I always have a backlog of projects I can never complete! Every garrison should be so fortunate to have a guy like you around :)

For the dremel I like the diamond cutting bit - I find it works far superior to the normal cutting disks. I'd also add a mouse sander and some sand paper. I also like having a pliers for holding small pieces and a dykes for cutting of rivet heads when needed. Some would also ask to have a heat gun to reshape pieces as needed (thighs & chest seem to be the big ones).

ohh...heat gun!

zipties? why?

I use them for my crouch piece behind my belt so it will bend when I take a seat. Also, you never know when folks have wires that fall out of their bucket *AHEM* (me) and you need a quick fix. That and you can tie your friends up and give them wet willies.

ohh...heat gun!

zipties? why?

I use them for my crouch piece behind my belt so it will bend when I take a seat. Also, you never know when folks have wires that fall out of their bucket *AHEM* (me) and you need a quick fix. That and you can tie your friends up and give them wet willies.

TK toolbox

rivet gun / rivets

snap gun / snaps

dremel / sanding drums

x-acto / extra blades

soldering iron w/ "burning block"

drill / bits

kitchen scissors

flat / phillips screwdriver

clamps!

additions

pliers

pencil / marker

heat gun

painters tape

seamstress tape measure

sanding sponge(s)

i think that is a pretty stout list now

I also have a hot glue gun for quick fix replies while out on a troop. When a snap or something breaks you can glue it up real quick then take the glue off later at home and do the repair properly... :)

I use nail and cuticle clippers for minute adjustments of armor edges. Works better than just sanding. For creating suspenders & garters I used needle and thread. To keep the belting material and elastic from raveling, I have a cigarette lighter to melt the edges. Expensive, but small, sharp pair of embroidery scissors for cutting holes into elastic and belt material.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, i'm just starting out so this find is gold dust to me.

Still deciding on my first kit (AP I think), but you need all the tools in place first to start your build!

If this has been updated since, can someone let me know?