Fibreglass Helmet (Ebay find)

Cloudlessbluesky

I've generally gotten the gist of things that:

A: Fiberglass helmets are while, not bad, heavy and generally frowned upon.

B: EBay is a most wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thus, after seeing this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=250291459031

I'm pretty confused, because to my untrained eye that looks like a pretty nice bucket (look at me using the terminology).

Or, is this just a recast of a helmet intended for display only?

Thoughts?

(ps I'm new at this so please be gentle)

sean

Thats a recast and although it may seem nice to you, to most everyone else it will be soft and unusable. Stay away from that one for sure.

:)

Thats just the kind of info I was looking for, thanks for the heads up.

The only reason I'm looking at things like this is I'm waiting to hear back from the maker of the RT-mod.

Cheers TK-4510

s

Trust Mike. Here is something similar that I posted on another thread "A list of reason why I wouldn't get it.

1. Recast Recast Recast Cucblac is a know recaster( They make money off the people who work hard to bring a good product.) I have learned my lessons and now only buy from people I can trust( Mike TK-4510 does a great finished TE2, AP, TE2, SGB No TK's but a ton other helmets) also you risk being labeled as a supporter of recaster and legit sellers may not sell to you

2. Fiberglass. Some people like it but it can get heavy and if it breaks or chip can be difficult to repair

3. It is in Bolivia so cost with what the auction is at now you are going to spend close to $300 way too much for that crap

I Would contact AP and get a flawed kit for $200. yes I said flawed but trust me they have strict quality and people here can attest to that.

This is just my quick thoughts but in the end it is your money.

It looks a little odd to me...something not quite right about the look.

The original helmets were Hdpe and abs

They are so much better than fiberglass buckets

You might also find Hips as another material that a helmet is made of.

Go for te2 or ap

They are your best bet.

Also if you buy a helmet that is second rate you will never be happy. As you learn more about helmets you will be able to tell the difference.

reference

cheers

It looks a little odd to me...something not quite right about the look.

The original helmets were Hdpe and abs

They are so much better than fiberglass buckets

You might also find Hips as another material that a helmet is made of.

Go for te2 or ap

They are your best bet.

Also if you buy a helmet that is second rate you will never be happy. As you learn more about helmets you will be able to tell the difference.

reference

cheers

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. My only concern with a AP or TE2 helmet is size (I'm 6'4 and have a somewhat big head). Thats why I'm leaning towards the RT suit/helmet as I've read its better for the taller folk.

Also, thanks for the info about Cucblack Amish, I have no intention about supporting a known recaster, especially after seeing how damn helpful and friendly everyone in this community is.

sean

I bought this exact helmet 4 months ago. I was not happy with it, it was poorly painted, it had very washed out features (due to it being a recast), the lenses were way too light, it had a sloppy polyurethane coating that had drip marks in spots, and the mic tips were total crap. Also it was not screen accurate, its idealized not wonky, and the guys here identified mine as a possible RT-Mod 2 recast. I complained to the guy and he ended up giving me a $20 refund. I also learned why Fiberglass may not be the best material for an "everyday" helmet. The helmet has developed some hairline cracks on the face part and around the edges, that are irreparable unless I wanted to repaint and sand the whole damn thing. I ordered a really nice ABS helmet kit from Tray, I am working on that right now for use while trooping. Get ABS right off the bat, it cost the same if you can do some of the work yourself, and you will be much happier with it.

Here is a shot of my fiberglass one...

newhelmet2.jpg

HA HA. The helmets Tray's selling are recasts too. LOL.... Nothing against Tray, but I dont wanna steer this guy in the wrong direction. Plus Tray's helmets are soft pulls.

Listen. PM me for TE2 or AP or RT-MOD or TM. All others are recasts. ALL OTHERS.

At the very least buy the MR CE helmet. Its cheap and it looks OK. Its also approved for 501st.

This is an excellent point. Why not just buy direct from the seller? Even FX. Most anything you find on Ebay is recast, and won't save you really any money in the long run.

I am more or less convinced that the words "professional auto-motive paint job" tends to make a vendor less credible.

FG has pros and cons. Although just beginning on my TK journey - I spend a lot of time researching other costumes - and in some other armour sets eg TB, clone - some of the best lids are FG. Learning to repatch with FG kits is becoming easier and easier with all the kits available now, but be prepared for gettin a good respirator!

Given a choice though, plus fact that there are such nice lids as well - forgoe FG for ur TK lid. AP/TE2/RT for ur screen based wonky goodness (RTis also Candian based armourer) or MR CE for budget idealised view.

And trust me Sean, from someone whos been stung by recasts - LISTEN to Paul and Mike. Not only is it a matter of principle, it is also a matter of good, trust worthy product.

oh and Ebay isnt all that bad - but I do only tend to buy from people off this board or ur local equivalent prop boards. Basically people who u know u can trust.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...
Listen. PM me for TE2 or AP or RT-MOD or TM. All others are recasts. ALL OTHERS.

Just for the record that statement is incorrect. RT Mod is a recast, the faceplate is a TE rip-off. Also the FX armour is ripped off from GF.

The ONLY reputable helmets/armour kits are from Laws, TE, TE2, AP or TM, or a Gino if you are lucky enough to find them.

Joe

PLEASE no hissy fits! I'm asking because I dont quite know. I dont want to incite a riot about this subject. sensible replies appreciated.

the armor listed above was derived from a movie suit? right? werent the molds made by backfilling said suit? is that recasting? if not, why?

...and, again, PLEASE no hissy fits! I'm asking because I dont quite know. :)

Hi Jason you might want to read through this, there's a bit of info on it.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=3743

To get back OT, there appears to be a few remark's about FG being poor lid's??? as I recall T*E did a run of FG SFS lid's :huh: I would'nt consider them to be inferior in any way. :mellow: in fact I'd really like to own one.

I don't remember ever reading that RT anh helmet is based on a TE. I swear he sculpted his. Here is a link to his helmets and they don't resemble a TE

http://www.rt-mod.com/myhelmets%20thumb%20page.html

http://www.rt-mod.com/mmDSC00503.JPG

http://www.rt-mod.com/mmside_comparison3.jpg

Are you sure you aren't thinking VT

Actually Joe you are wrong and right. RT faceplate is an AUTHORIZED recast of the TE faceplate. He was told to get rid of the eye bump and made a deal with Matt several years ago, so he is OK now. RT made the rest of his helmet himself and used the Don Post as a scale originally.

Dan Laws Faceplate is a recast of TE's on his Tie Fighter helmet and his NEW helmet is also a recast of TE's but apparently that has been OK'd too. By who I dont know....In all fairness his helmets are awesome and it is well known that he was the one who refined the ROTJ molds to make them "TE"....Nuff Said.

The FX was originally MARCO armor and has a very blurry past. It is rumored that it was originally done by GF. The FX armor has been re-done multiple times since it was first created as well.

The SFS Fiberglass helmets are awesome but they are not accurate because they are Fiberglass. Matt should have made the ears separate and it would have looked much better. IMO...

VT's helmets are recasts but they are also very nice quality. Probably the best Hero lid I have ever seen. Its rumored that he now has a very tight, thick ABS stunt that is very accurate as well. BUT, it is a recast.

So I guess you could say the waters are muddy in armorville to say the least.

For me its a matter of dilution after these:

• TE2 armor is as close as you can get in Styrene.

• AP armor is as close as you can get in ABS

• TM armor is the best fan sculpt in Styrene and VERY SOON ABS

Everything else is just a copy of those guys. I dont even consider Gino anymore because he is keeping his toys to himself. Maybe thats a good thing :)

Mike

Hi Jason you might want to read through this, there's a bit of info on it.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=3743

To get back OT, there appears to be a few remark's about FG being poor lid's??? as I recall T*E did a run of FG SFS lid's :huh: I would'nt consider them to be inferior in any way. :mellow: in fact I'd really like to own one.

ive read that before and it doesnt really answer my ?

ive read that before and it doesnt really answer my ?

Sorry it was'nt much help Jason

but I'm not sure there's a thread out there that give's a difinitive answer to your Q, at the end of the day it's just folk's giving their opinions on the topic! leaving you to make that judgement based on your own moral compass.

were all theif's & scoundrel's B) to different degree's

appologies for going OT. but back OT research is your friend when buying any Lid, FG or not

PLEASE no hissy fits! I'm asking because I dont quite know. I dont want to incite a riot about this subject. sensible replies appreciated.

the armor listed above was derived from a movie suit? right? werent the molds made by backfilling said suit? is that recasting? if not, why?

...and, again, PLEASE no hissy fits! I'm asking because I dont quite know. :)

That is recasting my friend. Thats the black and white of it. To a prop collector its his business if he buys an original and decides to make recasts of it. If someone recasts his recasts then they are thieves.....Stupid I know....But thats they way its been for a while. The only reason why you would make copies of an original is to give to a few friends or to make money off of it. The debate has gone on for a long time now.

Personally I feel if you buy an original prop and make copies of it to sell then you are asking for it......And you will get it in spades most times.

If you create something like TM has and sell then that is different to me. If TM gets recasted then he absolutely has a right to get pissed.

The TE lineage has been recasted many times and there isnt anyone who can really point fingers there anymore. IMO TE2 is the only person who should be making the stuff simply because he paid a premium to do it. Its a dishonor to HIM to sell recasts of his stuff.

TM is ABS now... Its so shiny... :D

I think I read that VT has CAP's old molds... CAP made new ones and has a .100 Lid...

Hey there is always the ANHV2 from Kev... Nice one peice fan sculpt as well... Not fiberglass but heavier than the plastic ones.

This is not a 'hissy fit' as you put it.

People like TK4510 are condoning rip-off merchants like Rob aka RT Mod. To paraphrase TK4510 it is fine to rip off people like TE's work if you put your hands up after the event and make a deal.

Are we not missing the point here guys? He put the TE faceplate in silicone in the first place....

Newbies need to be educated or it becomes a free for all, hence my OT posts.

Is it any wonder that people like me, with moulds from an original Stormtrooper Helmet, are reluctant to bring new products to the market with this sort of BS going on.

:rolleyes:

Joe

Ps: I, like an idiot, sold CAP the smooth cap TE helmet that he cast to make his helmets, on the MEPD.

Joe, are you picking a fight with me? Seems like it..... I think baiting is against the rules here... I condone only TE2. Thats my preference and my opinion only. The rest of the guys I was just stating the truth. Tell me where you see that I am incorrect....Why are you suddenly targeting me?

"To paraphrase TK4510 it is fine to rip off people like TE's work if you put your hands up after the event and make a deal."

DONT EVER PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH THAT I HAVE NOT SAID. You are not me. That is not what I said. I didnt say it was right or wrong. I said it happened.

"He put the TE faceplate in silicone in the first place...."

Your wrong there too Joe. Matt never did anything other than sell and vacuum form.

And Joe. If I were you I would not offer my helmet that you supposedly have to anyone because IT WILL BE RECASTED. I am not saying that for any other reason than to warn you to protect your investment. Selling props recasted from an original will only spawn more recasts of the copy which will kill the value of that piece. If you recast your own prop to sell then you are shooting yourself in the foot. Gino is wise and has kept his to himself.