TheLorelei

Lorelei's 5'4" ATA ANH-S Centurion-Hopeful Build

2 hours ago, TheLorelei said:

Never did post photos of my completed holster!

5a4t6q1.jpg

Stitching detail:

v6dMtGx.jpg

Snap detail:

ltGMvgL.jpg

Blaster strap riveted on back:

fwOWQVg.jpg

All done by hand! It was a super gratifying project and surprisingly quick. And I got to make it to my blaster's exact specs. :)

Brings a smile to an old leathercrafter to see others work in this magnificent material ^^
And as said, very good job on the stitching and the snap placement. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 10:52 PM, ukswrath said:

To combat weak connection points between armor sections swap out the elastic for nylon webbing ;)

That makes a lot of sense... I'll try that before the crazier ideas I have. ;) Thanks!

• Like 1

Damn! Nice work on that Holster! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

Sweet deal. Troopers are great and I'm always in awe when I see them... even now. I'm partial to the dirty side as I hate to polish anyway, but this is fantastic to see. Good luck with the build. Plenty of great people on FISD to answer all your questions. Cheers!

Edited by DarthShinzu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

Damn! Nice work on that Holster! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

21 minutes ago, DarthShinzu said:

Sweet deal. Troopers are great and I'm always in awe when I see them... even now. I'm partial to the dirty side as I hate to polish anyway, but this is fantastic to see. Good luck with the build. Plenty of great people on FISD to answer all your questions. Cheers!

Aw, TWO garrison-mates commenting in one morning. Thanks, guys! I look forward to trooping with you soon. :) :)

• Like 2

A-hem... sorry had to clear my throat.

I think it looks good too.

A-thirdgarrisonmatetocomment-hem, sorry still gotta clear my throat, it’s been a crazy morning. Huh look at that it’s still morning.

Anyway I’m in Garrison Carida and I approve this message.

(Subtle enough?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A-hem... sorry had to clear my throat.  

I think it looks good too.

A-thirdgarrisonmatetocomment-hem, sorry still gotta clear my throat, it’s been a crazy morning. Huh look at that it’s still morning.

(Subtle enough?)

Don’t be jealous that Lorelei doesn’t like you as much as Pretzel and Shinzu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank75139 said:

(Subtle enough?)

50 minutes ago, A.J. Hamler said:

As long as Garrison Carida is weighing in, I'll add my (Cadet-level) approval.

oh my goodness FOUR ...Caridites?... commenting on my thread in one morning - including FRANK HIMSELF!!! *swoons*

8 minutes ago, DarthShinzu said:

Damn.  GC taking over this thread... lol. Keep up the great work. Kylo always needs target shields ;)

I serve Lord Vader. (But, privately, I think Kylo is also the bee's knees. Just to a lesser degree. But still to a degree that caused me to be paralyzed with the mix of fear, awe, and "squeee" that the presence of any Dark Side Adept of his caliber inspires when I had my private audience with him at Disney a few months ago. I had a Very weird look on my face in all the photos, and the aforementioned mix of emotions is my official excuse. :laugh1:)

Back to official tk business! My replacement sniper knee arrived yesterday. Y'all know when I asked for a new one - mere days earlier. Terrell (ATA) is the man! He offered different shipping speeds depending on my level of desperation, too. ;) I've been nothing but pleased with our interactions and continue to highly recommend ATA. I'll sketch in the cut lines and post pics tonight before cutting.

We sell poly webbed belts at work for holding up heavy tool belt stuff. I got one to use for my kidney to butt side connections and am quite optimistic. It's SO much thicker than the nylon webbing I got from the fabric store. For reference, I make my snap "plates" out of that and I don't even bother punching holes, I just spread the weave apart with the end of a pen and slide the snap post through. This stuff has a much tighter, thicker weave and is quite rigid.

I've made the wide elastic hinge for the center back. It's been curing for several days next to the ab buttons whose glue was refusing to set for some reason. Too cold in the garage perhaps, or maybe it's the lack of air getting to all the glue underneath the thinner button strip.

Almost time to leave work and do some REAL work - armor work! :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Don’t be jealous that Lorelei doesn’t like you as much as Pretzel and Shinzu.

It's true, Matt, it's true. I tried to cover it but man was it tough.

2 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

Go build!

I want to. So much! But I'm beat. Tomorrow promises less exhaustion. *faint laughter heard in distance* But here's my new sniper knee, and perhaps now you can see why I trimmed it on an angle...

kJ5lZPK.jpg

...'cause it seems to be asking for it.

Here are my proposed trim lines - curve to the top vertical bit will be determined when I test fit it on the (proper!) shin. More concerned with the bottom edge ends. I think my only other option is to cut them way out where the bottom ends and flatten the bumpy upper plastic to match but I don't think that's quite practical.

kbsIx6q.jpg

pq0lAQX.jpg

See how lumpy it gets right past there? It seems like I have to use that as my end point. N'est-ce pas?

p8yK5se.jpg

Also, I had previously treated my knee like an ear (oh the phrases I've typed in this build........:unsure:) - like an ear, I say, in that I trimmed this bottom edge to fit the shin perfectly.

4bPHDo8.jpg

It was delightful. However somebody mentioned the knee should be trimmed way up under the little ridge/bump/box things, which obviously precludes such lower shaping. Doesn't seem like too much left to me compared to screencaps, but my eye is certainly not as trained as it could be. Anyone else care to weigh in on it?

• Like 1

I believe this what you're asking to see. Here's an ATA, note the lower edge of the knee.

IMG_3398-crop.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Tony. Trimmed away it shall be.

Did some things tonight - cleaned up ab button edges

AnxnKJQ.jpg

though of course the paint got dented up during gluing so I'll either retouch or wipe the darn things and paint them for the fourth time. Circles, y'all. I've NEVER been good at circles. Best I did on these was when I realized I could dab the paint on with the flat side of a makeup sponge wedge thing - that way it was only touching the flat surface which was circular so it made (roughly) a circle.

Anyway, with those finally in place I prepared to put my belt snaps on the ab and then realized I'd prefer to glue single snap plates onto the front to drill fewer holes in my armor so I just set the female edge snaps in my belt instead.

DwXd1vN.jpg

They sit behind the outermost ammo boxes(?) and I'm confident I'll be able to squeeze a finger in between the belts to snap them to the ab before velcroing the back closed. Hey, I guess I can finally install the other two belt-to-belt rivets now!

I removed too many snap plates over the past couple days preparing for my new butt-kidney connections. Dozens.

Ok, six, I removed six.

LjsuPZN.jpg

But it FELT like dozens. Also I reshaped the butt plate and look how happily it lines up on the edges now! Sublime. Must finish trimming the lower edges of the butt plate too. There's much return edge yet.

After sanding the kidney splice down for the nth time this evening and still running into those dark lines (I must have left pencil in there for real) I decided to file the whole deal out and start fresh-ish. Used my needle files to form a nice little trench at the seam. Not too deep, but deep enough to remove both sides (with pencil markings...) and a little depth.

BJkD7ZI.jpg

Then I acetoned down my ABS paste until it was super runny and drip-smear-poured it along the trench with a toothpick. I've had problems with bubbles forming in ABS paste in the past and I'm hoping this helps keep them from forming as I'm not globbing on layers of thicker paste, despite how globby it may look below.

4sTq3Zz.jpg

Oh yeah, gotta reshape the 22mm notch again too. What's that saying - Vader may work from sun to sun to sun (haha, look, a Tatooine joke), but a TK's work is never done? Yeah, that was it.

Then I closed the evening by making a huge mess Dremeling out the insides of my hovi mic tips and drilling out little itty bitty holes for the little itty bitty speaker wires.

VMgcg2w.jpg

But more on that in my electronics thread. Some time. ^_^

I haven't had my coffee yet, but your large ab button plate looks like it's upside down to me.  :/

• Like 1

I haven't had my coffee yet, but your large ab button plate looks like it's upside down to me.  :/

Yep, it’s upside down.

• Like 1

Hahaha. Look at that. Not having the ab attached to the cod, it's stupid easy to flip it upside down without noticing and since I glued that one on and covered it before orienting for the smaller side plate... Priceless. Thanks, guys. #wherewouldibewithoute6000

So when I finish my build I get to go back and delete all the stupid mistakes so they're not left floating about the internet, right? ;) On the bright side, I think I'm developing a sense of humor about my fallibility. Probably about time I did that. *grinds teeth*

Edited by TheLorelei

Hahaha. Look at that. Not having the ab attached to the cod, it's stupid easy to flip it upside down without noticing and since I glued that one on and covered it before orienting for the smaller side plate... Priceless. Thanks, guys. #wherewouldibewithoute6000
So when I finish my build I get to go back and delete all the stupid mistakes so they're not left floating about the internet, right?  On the bright side, I think I'm developing a sense of humor about my fallibility. Probably about time I did that. *grinds teeth*

As you know, NOTHING is deleted from the internet once something’s out there....best accept the fact that nobody’s perfect (here’s where Frank would chime in to be funny and say, “Speak for yourself, Matt.”).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

So when I finish my build I get to go back and delete all the stupid mistakes so they're not left floating about the internet, right? ;) 

hahaha!!!

The best part of so many builds are the mistakes we all share!  I cringe when I remember what I did to the returns on my very first kidney:vomit-into-the-toilet:,  but have left everything up to see how ugly mistakes can become... and how to recover from them without leaping from the rooftop.  :duim:  (Thanks to all here at the FISD for that, of course!!!)   So keep your mistakes out there!  

And you're doing an amazing job on this build.  Go, go, go!  :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bud Spaklur said:

As you know, NOTHING is deleted from the internet once something’s out there....best accept the fact that nobody’s perfect (here’s where Frank would chime in to be funny and say, “Speak for yourself, Matt.”).

So I've heard! (Haha)

6 minutes ago, Cricket said:

hahaha!!!

The best part of so many builds are the mistakes we all share!  I cringe when I remember what I did to the returns on my very first kidney:vomit-into-the-toilet:,  but have left everything up to see how ugly mistakes can become... and how to recover from them without leaping from the rooftop.  :duim:  (Thanks to all here at the FISD for that, of course!!!)   So keep your mistakes out there!  

And you're doing an amazing job on this build.  Go, go, go!  :) 

Thank you, Christine!! So much.

3 hours ago, TheLorelei said:

So when I finish my build I get to go back and delete all the stupid mistakes so they're not left floating about the internet, right? 

:coffee2:

:o

I notice that this post is edited.

Hmmm...

6 minutes ago, PhilBobTheFish said:

:coffee2:

:o

I notice that this post is edited.

Hmmm...

Shhhhh. You saw nothing.