Rats first TK build (Anovos)

Rat

No just working on final fitting or them now, but this is what I'm looking at. Perhaps it's normal? I'm unsure so this is why I'm bringing it up now since I'm almost to that section.83b0f5b04a0367e80f735db32cc9e8b0.jpg12aa86ee7cdc7ed61b5d7033c6f0ff97.jpgc36cf37bb1e014cf4b1af88e1da3c068.jpg61810cb69702525813c5c273bffc3851.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

That looks about normal, believe it or not. 

It will fit a little better after you place the cover strip on , which runs all the way up and under the knee plate.

when gluing it on be sure to do the middle with a really good clamp and then glue the sides.

That looks about normal, believe it or not. 

I thought perhaps it was, but couldn't be sure, I figured the sides were normal. It was the bottom I wasn't too sure about. I'm using the E-6000 for my glue, but man I keep thinking I might want to get some gel ca for this part. LOL!

Keep using the E 6000.  If you do make a mistake on the knee plate , you can take it apart and retry.

Clamping that sucker together can be a trick sometimes. It likes to move while being clamped because of the angles.

Thanks! I know there will be some gap at the top and am expecting that. Man I don't know that I've ever been so Leary or full of doubts on a project as I am here, but slow wins the race and leave little room for errors.

I am debating on doing a bit of shimming shimming for the plate as I go into the legs and the way they are fitting so far.

Keep using the E 6000.  If you do make a mistake on the knee plate , you can take it apart and retry.
Clamping that sucker together can be a trick sometimes. It likes to move while being clamped because of the angles.
Yeah I most likely will because of that and I hear the ears and this plate are the worst parts.

The ears are an exercise in futility.  Trim the front and it changes the back , trim the back to help the front , now the top and bottom don't fit any more.

so you scratch your head and say maybe it will fit tomorrow.  Lol. 

Good luck with the rest of the build. I'll keep an eye on your build. Looks like it's going to turn out good. 

• Like 2

Again thank you. Over all I'm pretty positive and optimistic still. Also still avoiding that right forearm. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright the plague has passed and feeling much better so time to get back at it. I think it is leg day and then I need to work out how to do the fitting and sizing of the body alone. The legs so far have been a 50/50 so far as ease goes. Any ideas of how I could manage this?

Slow going, but halfway through the forearms. Had a slight mishap with using a heat gun to reshape the right one. Luckily I caught it before it got too bad. Not happy about it but it's serviceable and doesn't stand out too much.bb885cde83e6973c4dcbf7eb786368c6.jpgc970ccc0324a79a56192a8f09b51be69.jpg

5 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Close call whew! :blink:

Indeed. I noticed it happening and pull the heat and started blowing. LOL!

On 1/31/2018 at 5:57 AM, ukswrath said:

And that's why this armor bothers me so. Looking at the photo below (properly installed) logically the armor should feel natural but I'm guessing it doesn't. One thing is for certain the lines of the armor follow the contour of your leg muscle. Once you through on some boots you'll feel right as rain. 

16540d318ec9d5b80069ff1b0cb0fef7b.thumb.jpg.af8d714c830836fb2e90eef91e3b5fbc.jpg

Hahaha! Yeah I just threw them on really quick before getting ready for work so didn't have time to get the boots out.

So not sure this needs a picture or not, but my thighs and shins fit well with no real need to trim more. However the back of them don't line up great, the top and bottom butt together, but there's a slight gap in the middle and I'm not sure what to do. My concern is if I trim them more they'll be too tight. Any advice or ideas would be great.

Pictures would help, but as long as a cover strip will cover this area there shouldn't be an issue, adding an internal strip would also help to cover and add strength to the area.

• Like 1

Yeah mostly it is with the shins. I end up with like a 1/4" or 15-20 mm gap right in the middle. I'll dig it out and get a picture.

The cover strip should cover that up no problem. And, adding an internal cover strip is a must. Shins see a lot of force on them when putting them on and off.

Also, put the heat gun away! Try a hot water bath instead. Heat guns are not forgiving, and many have had parts ruined by their fiery breath.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Yeah no more heat gun for me to close a call on the forearm. I may trim just a hair off the top and bottom. By hair I mean 1 or 2 mm which is mostly remnant anovos line. Sanding may do better than cutting.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rat said:

Yeah no more heat gun for me to close a call on the forearm. I may trim just a hair off the top and bottom. By hair I mean 1 or 2 mm which is mostly remnant anovos line. Sanding may do better than cutting.

Everything in small steps, a heat gun on plastic takes some practice, if I saw then what I do with one now I'd freak ;) 

• Like 1

So find myself in another quandry. Left forearm looks good, but the lower seam isn't meeting up at the return edge. Should I pull it and redo it or is it okay? It's on the bottom and unlikely to be seen, but not sure.2177e6c0b843cdceaf4ead241c492187.jpg39b2c2fcbf3a00f83b0aae0762066244.jpga2c44e409f5122f19406452a0afa9ccf.jpg530c903660a6ff252262bbd702510106.jpg

I would be more concerned about if the cover strip is adequately holding the two halves together. If you think it's strong enough leave it. If the gap bothers you either finish removing the return edge or add scrap behind the gap to conceal it.    

• Like 1

I would be more concerned about if the cover strip is adequately holding the two halves together. If you think it's strong enough leave it. If the gap bothers you either finish removing the return edge or add scrap behind the gap to conceal it.    
Yeah it is only about 1/4" or so and the bond seems pretty firm. Still need to get it test fitted with my under suit on to be sure it isn't going to be an issue.