Rats first TK build (Anovos)

Rat

After roughly 6 Anovos kit builds to date I've never had a problem getting the cover strips on any section of armor to mount flat. I'm not sure why others are having this issue. The armor material is relatively thin and easy to work with. Just my opinion I'm also anti-heat gun on armor, especially Anovos, and especially in the hands of someone who may not be familiar with dangers. Hot water bathing accomplishes the same result with low damage risk.  
Yeah I have a few points at the seams that are like this, but this is the worst of them.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Heat guns are something that you practice a lot with before using it on armor, the plastic tends to go from just pliable to melted in the blink of an eye.

Great work, coming along nicely

• Like 2

Heat guns are something that you practice a lot with before using it on armor, the plastic tends to go from just pliable to melted in the blink of an eye.

Great work, coming along nicely
Yeah most likely I will just used hot water. The heat gun makes me nervous and I also don't have use for one outside of this.

• Like 1

So this first picture is the left, I have no issues here other than needing to possibly trim some of the outer return edge. The other two are the right one from the elbow and wrist. The wrist isn't bad just the elbow end.dd671b6fd814b8af831ce5fcb0a48f25.jpg8d1477144ca906af51a789a24234c0bb.jpg3e83dd40cc73f37f39f8d7ce9a8cde38.jpg

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

After roughly 6 Anovos kit builds to date I've never had a problem getting the cover strips on any section of armor to mount flat. I'm not sure why others are having this issue. The armor material is relatively thin and easy to work with. Just my opinion I'm also anti-heat gun on armor, especially Anovos, and especially in the hands of someone who may not be familiar with dangers. Hot water bathing accomplishes the same result with low damage risk.  

Tony, you apparently haven't built one for a skinny-armed trooper. LOL  

This will help clarify what I was up against.  I had to trim a lot off of my forearms to allow them to fit well.

Here are the before heat gun (very tough to get a cover strip on these babies):

24251427294_f0375c9146_n.jpg

Here is the after:

24251427274_2e28b66fda_n.jpg

I agree with the heat gun sentiments.  You have to have mass respect for the heat gun, but I had really good results with it.

Rat, your welcome to borrow mine and I can help you shape them if you'd like.

• Like 1

This will help clarify what I was up against.  I had to trim a lot off of my forearms to allow them to fit well.

Here is the after:

I agree with the heat gun sentiments.  You have to have mass respect for the heat gun, but I had really good results with it.

Yup pretty much the same thing I'm looking at Daryl. I appreciate the offer I'll shoot you a message about it shortly. Getting the thigh part going now.

So here's my thigh so far as I can tell it fits well. Actually other than trimming some of the return edge at the hip it fits well. My big concern was the length.d2214d9aef50c1b46d55426f3d269dc5.jpgff0096ee9ea6576bd107fc9d92de6ae6.jpga5b3810c7585a8ebf9caf3139cc32e57.jpg

Don’t shorten the thighs until you have the torso complete and are 110% sure it’s necessary!

I’m 5’9” and I didn’t need to shorten mine.
Yeah I'm 5'10" and I figured I wouldn't need to. I'm happy to mostly fit the physical requirements.

2 hours ago, daryldoak said:

Here is the after:

So I just finished helping a fellow garrison member build his Anovos TK, meaning I did a good majority of the work. The guy is 6'1" roughly 140lbs and his arms look like this, which is pretty much what every other build looks like I do. BTW, No hot water bath. It can be done ;)

5a668b6034c5a_Forearmswristside.thumb.jpg.e1c64cbabf0f0dd670b753d5ff8c3823.jpg

5a668c614a258_Armassembly-crop.thumb.jpg.a6ba3bf4f06fd9a7fefad5f6ad4c7ab3.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

So I just finished helping a fellow garrison member build his Anovos TK, meaning I did a good majority of the work. The guy is 6'1" roughly 140lbs and his arms look like this, which is pretty much what every other build looks like I do. BTW, No hot water bath. It can be done ;)

5a668b6034c5a_Forearmswristside.thumb.jpg.e1c64cbabf0f0dd670b753d5ff8c3823.jpg

5a668c614a258_Armassembly-crop.thumb.jpg.a6ba3bf4f06fd9a7fefad5f6ad4c7ab3.jpg

And this is why you're the master Tony. Yeah I'm not sure why it is that Daryl and I have had the issue. It could be the return edge maybe? 

No, it just takes a lot of patience and some practice. In my Anovos build thread I illustrate how to keep armor sections straight as they glue. Keeping them straight allows the armor to form in a more circular shape. Thanks for the kudos ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

No, it just takes a lot of patience and some practice. In my Anovos build thread I illustrate how to keep armor sections straight as they glue. Keeping them straight allows the armor to form in a more circular shape. Thanks for the kudos ;)

Patience I have in spades, experience is a whole other story. You are most welcome Sir for you deserve it. You do some amazing builds.

I also reminded myself that my thighs are still just rough trimmed and I still need to trim the front 10mm for the cover strips. So I think most likely I will have to do very little to the rear thigh so far as trimming goes for sizing.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Rat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rat said:

Patience I have in spades, experience is a whole other story. You are most welcome Sir for you deserve it. You do some amazing builds.

Thank you :D

Since the front has a nice flat return edge and 90% of what the fans will see do that side first. Unless you live south of the equator allow 48+ hours for the glue to dry. It's in the 50s in my area so I let it dry 3+ days. Then work on the back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ukswrath said:

Thank you :D

Since the front has a nice flat return edge and 90% of what the fans will see do that side first. Unless you live south of the equator allow 48+ hours for the glue to dry. It's in the 50s in my area so I let it dry 3+ days. Then work on the back. 

Good to know thanks Tony. Yeah here in the PacNW we're hovering around the average 40° mark.

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

It's in the 50s in my area...

Had to look where you were and yeah I understand your plight. Live in the Bay area for a couple of years. Was at Ghirardelli square the first time I ever saw a set of armor and that was back in the mid-late 90's. Believe it was a RS kit along with a Vader at the Sharper Image that was there.

3 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Lucas's backyard lol

Yup, my ex-wife did all their vehicle lease deliveries and I did some construction right down the road from the ranch.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rat said:

My big concern was the length.

Looks like the thighs will fit you fine, perhaps some fine-tuning in the back but like Daryl said - don`t cut any until you are absolutely sure. 

10 hours ago, Rat said:

I did some construction right down the road from the ranch.

How cool is this - awesome! Did you try and sneak in?:D

• Like 1

How cool is this - awesome! Did you try and sneak in?
Yeah I plan on listening to one of our garrisons GML's, especially one that's also a TK.
LOL! No I was always too tired and know the traffic wasn't going to get any better if I put off going home.

So did the test fit on the thighs real quick yesterday. Knowing the bottom should be mid knee was a relief to hear. Glad I won't need to trim them for height. I also realized they are almost a perfect fit at the top, pre-trimming the 20mm cover strips.f4785f8c1191ef2479144c32226591e5.jpg2ada1cb4a5602d088c3faed9edc33bf7.jpga031aae1243e812652a7c5e3b40cce7d.jpg

• Like 1