Neb's first build. Centurion bound?! (AP)

Neb Sgird

Well, it's finally time! Time to start the infamous build thread. My goal with this thread is to maybe answer some questions that noobies like me might have, while not getting in the way of the probably-better advice that's already out there. Obviously, a lot of these questions will be my own, hopefully you guys can help me through this. This will definitely be a slow-burn, at least at first. I graduate with my bachelors in April, so that's going to be my main focus, but once I'm done with school I plan to really bang this out.

So my big brown box came in on March 3rd, which, incidentally, was the same day that my wife and I decided it was a good idea to wait 12 hours in front of Best Buy for a Nintendo Switch. Ya, we're weird. About 3 hours into the line, I got a text from my sister saying my box had arrived. I had it shipped to my parent's house, gotta love unstable college housing situations. Speaking of which, you might notice several different workspaces, since my one bedroom apartment is a bit cramped. I’ll be doing some work at my parents’ as well. Anyway, I ran over to fetch it and couldn't resist; I ended up opening it in the line. Sure, we were surrounded by Zelda nerds, but everyone was impressed none-the-less. 

QCDlPeU.jpg?1

WVQZ0OT.jpg?1

6Pwjui1h.jpg?1

PS I'm new to all this, let me know if you the pics don't load for you and I'll edit the post to get them to work...

• Like 4

I got the untrimmed kit, so the first step was to rough trim everything. Took me a few hours using lexan scissors and score-and-strike with a box-cutter, but I got it done. It was nice to have the practice of cutting without the risk of screwing something up irreparably. So it may be counterintuitive, but I would recommend getting untrimmed if it’s your first kit. It’s also nice to have the bigger scrap pieces of ABS in case you want to practice with a dremel or something. Here it all is rough-trimmed…

hCr3UHQ.jpg?1

I decided to start small, with the thermal detonator. There’s a lot of good walkthroughs on this (ukswrath has a great build thread and goes into depth on this particular piece), but I wanted to share a couple things I did special. I used painter’s tape as a template to know exactly where to trim each cap to. I trimmed each piece to 3/8” (the length of the screen-used caps) and trimmed to the tape line. I did something pretty similar with the panel piece.

rBkypuH.jpg?1

The PVC tube Mark sent me is slightly long, I need to track down a band saw to trim it a little, and then the TD piece is pretty much done…

SjQwk3p.jpg?1

As you can see in the above post, I started trimming up the helmet. For the teeth, I did something that I think is a little unconventional, but ended up working pretty well. I took a dremmel sanding bit to the back of the teeth. I'm not sure this method is for everyone, and you have to be really careful, but I feel like it worked for me. So. First question for you all: how do the teeth look? Should I take some more out for any of them? Also, what's the best way to trim the eyes? I've gotten as close as I dare get with a dremel, can't really get in there with scissors, and filing is going to take forEVER. Any ideas?

i7xN4QJ.jpg?1

P0W2tjn.jpg?1

oXwK7gT.jpg?1

Edited by Neb Sgird

That's a good start Ben! You'll have to clean them teeth up a bit. Do tou have a set of files? I picked up an assortment pack at harbor freight. The square and triangle ones worked best. For the eyes I used a new blade in the Exacto and went a little at a time till it was close. If you go light and easy with both hands stable it shaves nicely. Then finished with 400 grit sandpaper from the inside. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

WTG Ben!  Making good progress there.

I used a Dremel for the bulk of trimming the eyes on my helmets.  I get too heavy-handed (and possibly impatient?) when using a knife.  Do you have a flex shaft attachment for your Dremel?  It makes getting inside the eyes (and other small areas) a lot easier.  I finished off the areas with 400 grit sandpaper like Randy.  

• Like 1

Great news, good luck with the build.

I find the sanding attachments with a dremel work really well, also hands sanding with a small block of wood for inside the eyes. Hand files for the teeth give you a little more control.

• Like 1

Great Start Ben! Advice provided is on point. Also, check out a Centurion application and build for great pictures of a completed AP kit. :duim::smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

Your off to a great start Ben! Funny I think we all get that exact look on our face BBB Day!!

Like the others above have stated pick up a set of needle files from harbor freight/home depot for control. You'll find a great reference for the teeth/frown here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/36-helmet-frown-a-new-hope-stunt/

For the teeth I recommend as others have picking up a needle file set like this one:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set/4777067

For the eyes, you can certainly use  regular file, but I suggest taking a piece of sandpaper (about 120 grit) and wrapping around the file.  That way, the ABS (which is fairly thin in that area) won't "wobble" as much.  Using this method also gives you a bit more control IMHO, so you don't end up taking too much off with the Dremel.  For the outside corners you can wrap the paper around a pencil, and for the inside corners you can wrap the paper around the round needle file.

That's a good start Ben! You'll have to clean them teeth up a bit. Do tou have a set of files? I picked up an assortment pack at harbor freight. The square and triangle ones worked best. For the eyes I used a new blade in the Exacto and went a little at a time till it was close. If you go light and easy with both hands stable it shaves nicely. Then finished with 400 grit sandpaper from the inside. Does that make sense?

Yep, I have needle files and have been using them some for the teeth already. I started with my dremel (yes, with a flex attachment) from the inside of the helmet, then figured I would finish it out with the files. The teeth are still rough-cut, I haven't used my finest file yet, is that what you mean by "clean them up," or do I need to actually reshape anything? Take out more material anywhere? Also, great suggestion for the eyes! The plastic is thin enough in that area that it shaves really nicely with the knife. Expect eye pics soon, I'm pretty pleased with them. 

Man, I'd forgotten just how supportive this community is. I feel like I should quote and respond to each of you! Just know I appreciate all the tips and support. Expect many more questions as I role along!

• 3 weeks later...

Sweeeeeet another AP build - freaking mint!

Can't wait to watch this epic journey happen - great looking progress mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the eyes i use a half-round rasp. It gives you good control but also chews thru a bit quicker than files. I find the round side good. Then i use those micro files and some sandpaper to finish any close trimming.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

Hey Ben,

Looking good. I found that some sand paper wrapped around your finger helps to smooth out the edges when finishing the eyes and teeth.

There are some armor parties coming up. They are a great way to get hands on help with your kit and meet the members in the garrison. If you haven't already.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I’m back! Sorry for the delay, but I was focusing on…other things!

EEFeg00.jpg

Yup, I just graduated with my BA in Political Science. Woot! Now on to bigger and better things, being an Imperial Stormtrooper! I’m sure my educational background will help me integrate better with the local population in order to subvert rebel terrorist plots.

Anyway, now that I have free time on my hands again (working and studying, both full-time, is not fun guys), it’s back to work on the TK, and this build thread! In my very-little free time, I made all my snap plates for the internal harness system. I went the nylon webbing route, as they will be more flexible, easier to replace, and (I'm told) more durable (?). I used a solder iron to burn the holes for the snaps and cauterize the ends so they don't unravel. I tried to use the tool pictures (a dritz snap setter that I got at WalMart) to no avail. I ended up buying a pin-and-hammer set that worked much better. I highly recommend the Tandy line 24 snaps I bought, they don't come apart easy!

a5b1tsx.jpgCTvPMVS.jpgsPCFMMT.jpg

As you can see, I’ve made some great progress on the bucket. I’m really proud of what I’ve done on the ears! I think I’ll leave them be for now, the existing gaps are good enough for me. I may return to them later. I’ve also improved the eyes and teeth. What do you guys think? My fairly uneducated eye thinks they look pretty good, although I still need to do a final sanding on the teeth. So far I've just been using a sanding block, which of course can't fit in there. I also started painting some. The AP kit comes with this nice little decal sheet. I’m using the tube stripe decal, but will be hand-painting everything else for better accuracy (I’m Centurion-bound, after all, and want to do it right the first time). I found the decals provided for the tube stripes barely fit on on the cheek and almost clashed into my ears. Is this normal?

BvxeaiP.jpg

The above picture was the first time that I’ve looked at my helmet and said to myself “man, that looks like a Stormtrooper!” I’ve installed the hovi mics (These are Ukswraths’ speaker tips, which have great volume. More on audio later) and the internal padding. I might tweak how the padding is, I’m still getting some side-to-side shifting when I turn my head quickly. Suggestions? My current padding is 3/4" surplus army helmet padding. 

To paint the traps, especially the vents in the back ones and the tears, I’ll be using the decal sheet as a stencil. Makes things easy! I think you can actually find Mark (AP)’s sheet somewhere on the forums as a download to do exactly this.

ZfL2TvB.jpgX863XVF.jpg

I have a question on the lenses. AP sends you a film to be used as a lens, but I don’t think it’s going to work very well in my case. What solutions have you guys come up with? Cut the film into a more specific shape to glue directly onto the eye sockets? If so, what glue did you use for that? Any and all ideas are welcome, as I’m a little bit at a loss on what to do here…

h1SQyo2.jpg

I'm excited to really dive in full-throttle. Don't expect bi-monthly updates like there have been so far! Happy May the fourth to everybody! But remember, don’t celebrate too much. Can’t let those Rebels feel the taste of victory…

Bonus picture of my wife being her normal beautiful self a few weeks back. 

KZyYF8e.jpg

Hey Ben,

Congratulations on finishing your degree.

The green film that comes with the kit is not dark enough. Most people get a grinding or motorcycle face shield replacement piece. I found one at Harbor freight for under $10.00.

How To: Another way to do lenses

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38963-howto-another-way-to-do-lenses/?hl=lenses 

This is what I am going to do on my bucket. Just remember it only has to look cool on the outside.

So I should mention something. I’m going to Disneyland next Wednesday with my little nephew. He LOVES Star Wars (we got him a Fisher Price Millenium Falcon for Christmas. He loves it). He used to say that Darth Vader had to be a superhero because he wore a cope. Can't argue with that logic. So my goal is to get the bucket done before I leave for California in order to score some favorite-uncle points. That said, it’s crash course time!

First off, I finished sanding the teeth and eyes. I found this great sanding sheet that is super flexible. I rolled it up and was able to get it through each of the teeth in order to sand out the left-overs from my files. Worked like a charm.

nfV8MRe.jpgLXEpnOU.jpg

Note on the popcorn; go see Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. So. Good.

Next up, I positioned my padding. I’m using army surplus padding and it’s working pretty well. I just put in some industrial Velcro in a long strip so I can re-position them at will. I’m still trying to find the perfect fit, but this is what I’ve settled on for now.

tKB6HH0.jpg

My wonderful wife studied theater design in college and specialized in 3D miniatures. Needless to say, she has a much steadier hand for painting than I do. Beyond that, she claims it is soothing. For my part, I found it extremely stressful. So I was more than happy to delegate painting to her. Even with her far superior skills, we did end up making a few goofs. I found that go-gone on a q-tip was perfect for taking off the enamel paints for a redo. 

SYP3Du9.jpgJiLEyNt.jpg

What do you guys think, is the grey too matte? I do plan to re-gloss a few sections of the helmet (probably with automotive gloss) once done, opinions?

I’m still working on getting the lenses and frown mesh in. More on that tomorrow!

Hi Ben, yes, your grey is too matte in finish. Are you using the appropriate paint? Also, the openings on your frown could be squared up a little (they are a little soft), and then the painted edges will need to be cleaned up as they are a little jagged. Good progress so far! The bucket is a lot of fun, especially when finished.

Oh, and play around with your helmet pad. Figure out what works best for you, and then remove the excess velcro. You've got the scratchy side of the velcro facing inwards (towards your face). You want to minimize the amount of pointy scratchy things inside the bucket ... especially when you're putting it on or taking it off.

Good Work Trooper!