Black top dosent give to much...

Runnriottt

Ill never give up riding, and some day would like to get another Rice Rocket... But for now I pedal. If you wear the gear and plan the ride, should be no sweat. I think I pushed the limits of that road. I might have been in a bad spot.

Thanks Mike, I will. Things happen for a reason. ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree - that's an A all the way. I commuted daily on a motorcycle for 5 years, year round. I agree 100% about the gear.

I used to hate bike helmet laws and found them silly. I'll insist on myself and kids wearing them now.

It is so easy to think "its not that far" "I wont need it" and jazz... I was less than 1 mile from home. Clicking your seat belt is the same as clicking your helmet strap. You need it.

I rode motorcycles for about 3 years as well. I just cant figure why he was in a lowside before I saw him. There is a gas mark on the road, and a scrape from the bike for about 30 feet. He had to be booking. I think he was hotrodding. I would, Its a cool road to do that. He didnt expect to see me. He had to have saw me first.

I am thinking I was moving pretty good as well. I normaly ride at traffic speed, so thats about 25-30 KM and hour.

Here in Japan, they LOVE to find fault in Americans. Its just the way it is.. LOL... But this has been the oppisite. It is strange, but cool, the police called the hospital and worked a deal with the insurance to pay the bill. I dont think it is my fault. He gets full bills to fix his ride. I pay nothing.

I dont think he got a ticket, as for they say we actually didn't hit. I must have missed him. I cant remember. I think he hit the bike though. I have a bent big cog, and that takes some force. Thats the only damage I can tell, but still, thats alot of force to bend it.

I cant remember, so I cant prove anything. It all works out in the end. I am not angry, just happy to be here.

I think my new cog comes this week, and I will be back riding. I even got a new jersey... Its a cool one. ;)

This thread has been a cool one, like an online journal of this healing process... Thanks guys for the kind words.

I'm sorry to hear that...living in Europe has made me so much mroe aware of cyclist I give them plenty of room becuase that's what I expect folks to do for me. I'm hope you get better sonn.

Hey Nathan,

Haven't had much of a chance to read through this since your first postings after the accident but its good to see you are healing. Keep up the positive attitude about what lies ahead.

WOW Nathan... I just saw this thread!! Pretty harrowing experience, and I'm glad to hear you are pulling through! I used to cycle all over the place whilst I was stationed in Germany, and loved the hell outta it!

Godspeed!! :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Dude. I just saw this thread. Man, I'm glad to hear you weren't badly hurt, and that you're healing up so well. I occasionally ride a bike into town (although I gotta get my flat tire fixed) and even in areas where there is no traffic to speak of I keep my lid on. I'm glad to see that saved you. In my neck of the woods we get off-road vehicle drivers who race around with no helmets, no matter how much they're told by officials they gotta wear 'em. I just know I'm gonna hear bad news on one of those guys eventually. Hope you're up to 100% soon.

My face is still a little off, numb in spots from the nerve damage, but heck, I am not complaining. I am back. I pedaled for the first time today. I even wore my new jersey... Check that bad boy out...

It has been an eye opening time, I am happy to be able to share this pic. Taken just before the first pedal stroke.

My freinds at the FISD, I am back!

IMG_3116.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small update to this thread...

My frames is slightly tweeked... SO...

My new frame should be here this week. Full on Carbon Fiber and Stickerless. It will have custom stickers with my TK # and such. Cant wait.

Bummer the Motobecane is dead though. Nice rig. All my parts are good, just the frame got damaged.

My new frame should be here this week. Full on Carbon Fiber and Stickerless. It will have custom stickers with my TK # and such. Cant wait.

I don't know anything about bikes but sounds like it'll be a monster :) Now no more accidents Nathan! :)

Just read your I can still feel essay aswell. Amazing story! Just sad that it actually happened. Hope you're doing better Nathan :)

• 1 month later...

I am back 100%! Again!

I tweeked the white frame... Bummer too its a nice frame. Might make it a single speed later on. It just wont take a geared setup anymore... SO!

Carbon Fiber baby! This one flys. Thats all I need right a faster bike?!

I had a time finding an internal headset, but I finaly tracked one down stateside. The Japanese guys dont understand new tech at all. So I installed myself.

Training has begun! There is a 50K this fall and I so want to race it!

Edited by Runnriottt

• 1 year later...

Long dead thread, but I felt I should kinda explain my absence a little. Besides being up to my neck in work and life...

I crashed again this week. Just as hard.

No stitches this time, and I bounce... Nothing broken. However bending hurts just as much. Huge bruise on my hip, sprained shoulder and wrist. Helmet... Cracked but saved my a very impolite person again. Bike is not all that bad off, just some scratches but man...

I donno anymore.

Second time in two years, same side as last time and again... trying to miss a car. He was backing up and I went to go around him and hit a metal part of the road. Slick, I lost traction. The inevitable pile of graceful concrete meeting ensued. Yippie.

A trip to the hospital and 8 Xrays later I am sore, cant move and had to take a couple days from work. Blessed to be alive and still here to do what I do. Hurts though.

I just got my Drivers License back and am off to buy a car. Its time for seat belts. Tired of falling off.

get well fast!~ lord vader was wondering what happened to you...

seriously...

I had my share of motorcycle incidents... motocross and all that... flipping off a bike going 50... stuff like that.

one time I remember getting my head stuck in the wheel well of a car.

this woman stopped right in front of me and my head went into the wheel well.

needless to say I was unhurt, but the lady almost drove away.

she didn't even feel me hit her car.

a passerby saved my life. stopped her car. he was walking down the street.

I can't say I know exactly how you're feeling... but I have not really wanted to ride a bike much in the last

few years.

Dang man! Twice! I suggest getting a stationary bike! :lol: Put it in front of the TV and put in RTOJ on the Endor Speeder part and peddle as fast as you can to pretend you are in the battle. Or you could put in TPM and race Pods with your bike! Could be fun!

Your in my prayers!

God bless!

sorry to hear about this Nathan - I hope you make a speedy recovery. I think the car investment will be worth it my friend - in the end mass wins.

Got a chance to really go over my helmet today. Cracked in 8 places.

Thanks for all the well wishes, they do mean the world to me. Thanks guys.

I figure it will deserve a photo. Ill be putting my bike up for sale soon. Just time to move on.