Pyrates AP Kidney Notch Modification

Outstanding work, Aaron. Like Tony said.. you got skilz! (autocorrect does NOT like "skilz"). I haven't gotten to that part of my build yet but with my Peter Pan physique, I'll likely be trimming all of that away and it won't be an issue for me. However, my brother thanks you! His will probably be trimmed very similar to yours and you can bet we'll be following this "PINNED" thread..(wink wink to the powers that be..) very closely! Great work!

• Like 1

Just make sure you give it plenty of time for the acetone to fully evaporate and the abs to harden. If you rush it, it'll feel spongy and you'll have a bunch of pinholes.

Will do! Very good tip and thanks for bringing that up

Outstanding work, Aaron. Like Tony said.. you got skilz! (autocorrect does NOT like "skilz"). I haven't gotten to that part of my build yet but with my Peter Pan physique, I'll likely be trimming all of that away and it won't be an issue for me. However, my brother thanks you! His will probably be trimmed very similar to yours and you can bet we'll be following this "PINNED" thread..(wink wink to the powers that be..) very closely! Great work!

Thank-you for your kind words mate!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm sorry I haven't had a moment to do a quick update as I have been battling a cold and had a photo shoot in Banff on Saturday.

My Friday update:

Applied second coat of abs paste and have let it dry for 48 hours and I'm looking forward to showing the results later today - and I believe that everyone will like the result thus far.

• Like 1

Alright - I'm half here but must press through.

As with all first attempt mods, one must be ready for hiccups along the way - let's bring things up to speed first.

Here the first coat dried once - 5 hours cure time - and sanded down for the 2nd Coat of paste:

4A342CA8-B96A-4E56-BDC7-D68FE67E94E0_zps

Now above you can see I had to expand the area of work only to smooth out the ridges of the cast - similar to the way I have had to fill in the indentations of my teeth converting my stunt helmet to hero.

Again this is a do not panic mod as mentioned before - this area will be covered by the belt and I'm just one of those people that has to try to see if it can be done (Trooper Guinea Pig as it were :laugh1: ). There is going to be a lot sanding and filing involved but I have become accustom to it and it generally yields great results.

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Second round of abs paste applied 

B66E7738-1E09-4D15-83D2-C1D7AE4BA4DD_zps

Now the next pic you are going to look at and ask : What is going on?

I am taking the time to form out the paste to ensure I have an accurate 22mm x22mm notch by filing it in and incorporating a return edge

4D537B85-A6B0-444A-B9E6-D5BD953C9BAB_zps

Edited by Pyrates

Which brings us to today and looking for some input on what should be done next:

So here's a pic from 2-1/2' away after initial sanding - not too bad but not too great imo but this is just initial sanding

8890AF5C-8D58-4D82-B0D6-925964374295_zps

This is from 12" away

90D55879-9BF4-4C04-9F4B-CD35DA0FA7E4_zps

And you can also start see what I'm asking for help on

Freakin' bubbles :laugh1: - I believe that the paste didn't have enough time to settle after stirring (I let it sit for 20 min prior to using) or it started to get too thick on me when I was applying.

Now I'm thinking that some more sanding of the area and a third application of paste to remedy or should I lightly dry brush a very small portion ( and I mean minimal ) of acetone on the bubbles then apply more paste.

Second item I've noticed is the slight discoloration of the abs paste as compared to the armor and I didn't have this problem with the teeth - could this as well have been from possibly to thick of paste?

129ABBA2-8C03-4534-93AC-0018F8FAEE02_zps

The green line represents how much more abs paste is to be added and squared out.

Cheers my friends and thanks in advance for all of your help on this!

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

EDIT: why do I always miss that there are more posts after the one I just read.... Forum use fail. :D

I was going to ask about the paste on the top of the notch, but you explained that part.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

This guy.... You are going to make a great Centurion, keep up the excellent work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A third coat will finish this up. I wouldn't worry too much about squaring off that top part but with your attention to detail, you'll be able to no problem.

Thank-you Jason!

• Like 1

Where's the emoji for wiping the brow - thanks kindly good sir

(I actually heard my heart stop beating there for a few and thought I botched something bad that I was unaware of)

Third round of paste is on my friends and my "paste made" return edge is just about where it needs to be (currently measures 22.5mm).

I will again have to wait to see how this coat dries and decide at that time if one more coat is required or if I can break out the micro file and start to square out the notch for finishing touches.

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1