Pyrates AP Kidney Notch Modification

UPDATE!!!:

With a new change in the Kidney Plate CRL - this Modification - is NOT approvable - at Centurion -

Please refer to the picture below for acceptable applications:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160603/d2833b624a412ddfe8df3affd88eb2aa.jpg

On 6/3/2016 at 10:28 PM, ukswrath said:

However, as stated in another thread, if you were in the assembly process during the decision process we will not hold this against you, which ever way you made your notch. :duim:

Hello mates!

I wanted to offer help to those who have extra kidney notch indentation and how to make it disappear as best possible.

Now granted the whole thing gets covered up by the ammo belt, so going as far as I go with it as I intend may not be required. I'm a little ocd with these kind of details so I intend to take things as far as possible to make it look like it came from the mold.

Without further delay here we go:

First is to size your kidney plate and ab plate to find out how much of the extension is required and get that bad boy cut.

Next, get your 22mm x 22mm notch removed.

Then pencil in the indentation portion/ return edge of the notch

---------

I then used a nail to act as a pilot for my drill bit - this is so we can keep the bottom return edge

Once pilots are in place it's time to use a 1/16" drill bit to punch a hole in to protect the bottom return edge and to act as a stop when I use my exacto blade.

Now it's time to make some backer plates from some thicker guage scrap abs (from button plates about 1/8" thick) - I measured out the area I wanted to support and got the plates ready - two plates 1-1/2" wide by 2-5/8" long

Time for some incisions as it were - slow and steady mates!

Using micro-pliers I gently removed the abs

Time to prep backer plat

E-6000 and clamp

Now I am on hold till the glue cures and will update as soon as I can - all that is really left is to remove the excess E-6000 from the seam to be pasted. Then some more TLC with a micro file, sand paper and some polish and buffing.

Cheers my friends - truly hope this helps!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 3

Wow!  Really nice fix on that, Aaron, and most creative!  This should help a lot of folks out, and thanks for sharing!!!  Looking forward to your EIB submission thread (and then Centurion) soon after you get your basic approval.  Great job!

• Like 1

Wow! Really nice fix on that, Aaron, and most creative! This should help a lot of folks out, and thanks for sharing!!! Looking forward to your EIB submission thread (and then Centurion) soon after you get your basic approval. Great job!

Many thanks Joseph! Yes, looking forward to that great day as well - to be honest it's a little more awesome now that you helped me get there as well .

This thread is dedicated to you my friend as it was truly your idea to make the thread in the first place

Troopers helping troopers Whoo-Wah!

can someone please explain to me why everybody keeps talking about this little detail? Like what is the problem here?

Really, there is no problem imo. Just depends on your perspective.

The kidney notch is part of the CRL accuracy for Centurion Level. Mark from AP was awesome to create extensions on the kidney plate and ab armor to help accommodate bigger troopers as well as incorporated the kidney notch in the extension. For those bigger troopers, like myself, we have to bring our kidney notch forward to the front of our extension as per the powers that grant EIB and Centurion status.

This modification is a first attempt to make the process as pretty and painless as possible while maintaining the image to achieve this higher level status (which is really for personal achievement in accuracy)

• Like 1

If you read enough threads, Caleb, you'll find that we talk about a lot of little details here. Paint colors, shape of the eyes, number of teeth, thickness of the belts, finish on the E-11, distance from the edge to place the rivets, type of gloves to use, how to install audio systems, where to store batteries, how to shape the ears, the list can keep going. Details about the armor are what we're all about! :) Feel free to ask any questions if you've got them, and we'll help you to better understand the answers.

• Like 1

I knew you would figure it out A-a-ron! Will definitely do this when my wife lets me buy an AP.

That is awesome news and mucho gracias brother!

Fingers crossed for that "go ahead" from your Imperial Commander

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Alright so I've decided to break protocol on allowing my E-6000 to dry for a minimum of 24 hours but only to get clean-up done and a first round of paste - which should be dry enough to add the second round of paste by the time I get home from work. I will then allow the part to sit for another 24 hours and determine if another round of paste is required or if I can start sanding.

Without getting to far ahead of the process here's the clean-up and the 1st coat of paste:

Before Clean-up

4F42611A-E4B4-4516-9DEF-74BD6D2CEEA9_zps

AA0BA345-A6EA-4CF2-82C3-6ECEA473BBEC_zps