Canvas trooper belt

I was thinking - you can always wrap the canvas around an ABS belt base for most of the length. This will give it rigidity and still look like canvas. Many of the TD's who do this mod don't have to worry about it as they don't have holsters or thermal det's to attach.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey Paul, you were saying you couldn't find snap poppers long enough, how about cutting away a couple of layers of canvass that is behind the belt front. you would still have the seam all the way round but cut an oblong the length of the front part of the belt back to just one layer otherwise the belt may be too raised from the armour if you add a snap to ABS then add that to the belt. i'm not explaining very well am i? :huh:

Good idea Simon :D

Ā 

I've tried riveting the snaps to the belt but it always fouls when I try and snap the other half.I think the problem is that I'm using small snaps like the one's that were used on the original '77 armour,I'm sure the bigger 'camping' style snaps would do the job.I think I'm gonna make a new belt now and add the snaps to a single layer like you suggest,before I sew them together.I'll just have to make sure I get the placement right to fit the snaps on my ab plate ;)

Ā 

Oh yeah,welcome over here Si!

Good to be here thanks Paul. i used the camping snap poppers and they seemed o.k. although i used the elastic supllied which i imagine is thinner than triple layered canvass. you do need to shape the inside of the covers a fair bit for them to sit over the popper and i also made a circular indent in the belt to sink the popper a wee bit. i'm going to glue some vinyl on the inside of the elastic for slightly more rigidity and also the vinyl may add purchase to the plastic as i have all the heavy leather ammo pouches on it and it tends to slip down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

Ā 

I'm trying to decide whether to go for canvas or white leather - the canvas is proving hard to find, but then again so is the leather - argh! :huh: I don't want a canvas that is too yellowy that's my problem, I'm a bit picky.....

Ā 

Can anyone help with suppliers for either of these? Thanks B)

Ā 

Rache

Hiya

Ā 

I'm trying to decide whether to go for canvas or white leather - the canvas is proving hard to find, but then again so is the leather - argh! :huh: I don't want a canvas that is too yellowy that's my problem, I'm a bit picky.....

Ā 

Can anyone help with suppliers for either of these? Thanks B)

Ā 

Rache

Ā 

Tandy leather carries stock 3" leather, the white dye, and sealer for a reasonable price. http://www.tandyleather.com/

• 3 weeks later...
does anyone who's used a canvas belt have pictures of how they attached the thermal detonator? I'm building and FX kit right now, and I'm going to be using canvas when i get to my belt, so I was just wondering how to go about doing that

I use metal hooks rivited to my detonator

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I like how you used the detail of the natural leather showing

Ā 

Me too looks great! I recently bought some black leather for my holster but all I could find was black both sides. It still looks good but the natural tan looks more authentic IMO.

Ā 

-Paul.

Me too looks great! I recently bought some black leather for my holster but all I could find was black both sides. It still looks good but the natural tan looks more authentic IMO.

Ā 

-Paul.

Ā 

It might just be easier to find a natural piece of leather and use shoe polish for one side, no? I picked up a holster that isn't exactly canon, however the quality is real nice, and I figured I could modify it to make it more accurate later. Could you bleach the leather and then dye it the right hue without destroying the leather?

Ā 

BTW Gundamzepplin, is that a hyperfirm blaster in your holster?

• 3 weeks later...

The canvas belt velcros in the back correct? Has anyone found a way for it to attach in the front then attach the rest of the front belt?

Ā 

Anyone have issues with it slipping down or up?

Ā 

I currently have my TD screwed to my belt (one less thing I have to worry about ever falling off or being pulled off) I would like to keep this option, but didn't know if it would be possible with a canvas belt.

Ā 

I want to pick up a new holster from Bernard, but I'm trying to figure out if I go with loops or the correct rivet method. If I can't figure out the canvas belt, then I'll go with the loop holster on my ABS belt.

Ā 

I'm close to Mark status, but it's the belt that's holding me back.

Ā 

Any help would be appreciated.

The canvas does have velcro at the back, about 6 inches. I've seen a belt somewhere where it fastened at the side using a snap at one end of the plastic front and then snapped to the canvas so there was no velcro at the back, just one full belt with no overlap.

Ā 

To stop your belt from slipping, just add a couple of snaps to the inside of your belt and then a couple to your ab plate and your in business. The snaps are hidden by your belt and stops it from slipping.

Ā 

-Paul.