Yay or Nay - Hand Painted Traps for ESB Elite Status

Hand Painted ESB traps for Elite?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. YES or NO?

• YES
    • NO

Should you be able to get ESB Elite Status without decals?

Handpainted tears and traps and the people who love them, on the next Rikki Lake...

I voted yes. In a perfect world the answer would be "no", but I'd like to think there are more important issues, especially since we used to think that the tears/traps were slate blue, but in fact turned out to be ANH gray, or very close to it.

I voted yes to this just because i like hand painted helmets. Smitty's T*E esb lid looks nice and if it were mine i would not change the decals.

However i will be upgrading my AP esb lid with the new decals being made available by members here ;)

it's glossy, but it is still rough and sloppy looking. I'm trying to think how the Empire would do it if they weren't a film company trying to bang out 200 suits in a few days. For filming at a far distance, it would look amazing so yes, they look great for an extra. Not a hero.

It's a nice helmet. I will give him that. I suppose if Elite status means as close to screen accurate, all those who have decals should lose their status. So Maybe I should change my answer for that reason and that reason only. I don't plan on getting Elite Status so I will always choose decals. It's more Empire to me. Screen Printed would even be better but that to me seems almost impossible to get into the recessed area. I don't want to step on toes or insult people. It's just my opinion on how they look in general.

don't plan on getting Elite Status so I will always choose decals. It's more Empire to me. S

We are not replacing decals with hand painted details, we are talking about including them with. So anyone with decals is fine for elite status regardless of any hand painted option should the standards get updated.

My point in that is in regards to my statement. I should have thought more about my vote really but I was basing my vote on looks more than screen accuracy. I know your not replacing decals and I didn't mean I would paint them if I wanted to get it. I was just stating that to be the most Screen Accurate, I suppose they should be hand painted. It is afterall, THE movie way.

Are they not included now? If that is the case, thats even more silly than me saying all decals should lose their status. I would rather see decals because they are in fact perfect. But Hand paintd should be able to. I don't think so, but they should be included in the Elite requirements.

Does that make sense?

Looks NO, accuracy, yes. I want to vote again.

well ain't that a trip, I never thought to do an ESB helmet because i didn't like the black frown but I never realized that the traps and tears were decals. I would have assumed that they weren't. I have to renig on all my statements. If they are painted good enough, I think they should be able to get status. Again, understand my vote and past statements were all because I assumed tehy were painted like in ANH. To my shock and horror, they look like model decals. Thats right, I think they are the same type of decals that you get with models you put together. Get it wet, stick it to the helmet and viola, decals. They look hand painted to. I don't think I understand why you would paint them if they never were painted though.

Assuming makes an an impolite person out of me, not u. Always do your research. Sorry guys. I have to go back on my vote and say No, you shouldn't be able to get status, it should stay the way it is.

Now I am all confused by this question and why it is being voted on. I can understand the ANH being painted, because that I know to be true, ESB seems to me that you wouldn't paint them because they weren't painted. Is that correct?

No worries mate. For the record the point of Elite is not to get to 100% screen accuracy. The point of Elite is to help promote excellence in costuming. Thus while they are and will always be higher than Legion standards, the goal isn't to be unobtainable or 100% screen accurate.

If you look at them now, they can be achieved by an afternoon of work and about $50-$100 investment in parts (perhaps even less?), presuming you have a base FX kit.

Thats cool. Thanks everyone for letting me voice my opinion and not bite my head off even though I didn't do my homework. :) I might just try for Elite Status one of these days now. I think I will go for the ANH though as that is my armor. I love that people are going as good as you can get. It makes it all the more better no matter how it's done. That means I have to build another true "Hero" helmet and make a new gun. I can alter my belt to take up the gap I have in my sides. I lost enough weight for that finally, I think. Maybe I'll go stunt. Who knows. I never can decide. ;)

Good night everyone. Best of luck to all of you who are going for Elite Status. Scott is a great guy and his decals are top notch. Maybe I need to get Elite so I can get the decals. WoooHooo. now i need a car to put them on. Sheesh. this hobby is getting expensive.

No worries mate. For the record the point of Elite is not to get to 100% screen accuracy. The point of Elite is to help promote excellence in costuming. Thus while they are and will always be higher than Legion standards, the goal isn't to be unobtainable or 100% screen accurate.

If you look at them now, they can be achieved by an afternoon of work and about $50-$100 investment in parts (perhaps even less?), presuming you have a base FX kit.

If I was putting the helmet together like I did on my ANH I would have went decals for the ESB helmet just because Im not one to rock the boat. My delimma is that the ESB that came with my armor has handpainted traps. I think they are very nicely done and it would be a shame to cover them with decals just to achieve a status title. If the standards dont change then I will be ANH Elite only. My ESB will still look top notch, it just wont be elite...somehow, I think I will manage. It would still be nice to hold a dual elite status.

I voted no.

ESB used decals, so it's one of the little details that make an ESB an ESB. That's just my 2 cents.

since I'm pretty much on the loosing side of all these votes, looks like hand painted will be accepted. :)

I voted no.

ESB used decals, so it's one of the little details that make an ESB an ESB. That's just my 2 cents.

since I'm pretty much on the loosing side of all these votes, looks like hand painted will be accepted. :)

Actually this isn't an official vote. Mainly because it's open to everyone and elite standards are voted on by 501st TKs only.

I voted no! :P But before that, I'd like to get rid of Hasbro blasters from the ESB elite :rolleyes: unless you are all willing to mod and grind off that wannabie hengsler counter they have on it :D just some food for thought

Im no fan of Hasbro blasters. I thought they looked decent when featured in the pictures for people selling the upgrade resin kits but after seeing one in person I wasnt very impressed.