Long hair and helmets

Not sure where to put this post so Admins, feel free to move it if you need..

So I got long hair, past my shoulders and was wondering what the rest of you (that have long hair) do with your helmets? Myself am going to put it up in a bun when out trooping.

• Like 1

I have long hair too and have found that a balaclava works excellent or an item called a Hoo-Rag is perfect too.  They were offered on the Legion boards recently so I have a 501st one but they have tons of cool designs.  Here's the website: -----------------

I use both but tend to just put my hair in a ponytail then put the hoo rag over it.  It tucks into the back of my neckseal. 

------------------

Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

I think most ladies just put it down their under armor tops? Well, I did see one lady trooper with a pony tail, but that was at a con...

if I use a ponytail my helmet wont fit. so I use a baclava and just let the hair sit as normal  no tie needed

just the neckseal and baclava works fine.

I was growing my hair out but when my ponytail lump started affecting my helmet I chopped it off again, lol!

I am going to be trying dreadlock extensions this spring so I'm thinking of piling them on top of my head and removing padding from my helmet (as needed) or just cramming them into my balaclava.

Love the hoorag though, I didn't know about those! Might give that a try, thanks!

• Like 1

At the minute it goes in a balaclava and under my jumper, but I suspect I'm going to have to try and improve on that method.  It's to the bottom of my back so I'm thinking Pickles might have an idea with braids. 

Yea, my hair is pretty long and thick (scary thick when I don't straighten it). Pretty sure I could give Weird Al a run for his money in a big hair competition, haha. I find that two side braids breaks up the thickness and help keep the hair somewhat under control (with the assistance of a balaclava!).

Hair length reference:

IpzdC9o.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Pickles you have inspired me to try growing my hair out again!!! Mine is crazy thick too, but the two braids makes sense - also, adorable!

Hans - is your balaclava loose at all? Maybe try getting a tighter one? I don't recall having an issue with that, personally!

Edited by Rezori
  • Like 1

My balaclava is the smallest I could find. I do have a smallish head. I wear a size 7 in a fitted cap if thats anything to compare by. 

I ordered a hoorag. Lets see if that works. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was just asking about this as well. Mine hangs to my elbow, but if I straightened it out it rests near my lower back/upper waist.

HooRag arrived and its no good. Its still too big! I can wear it but as soon as I twist my bucket, it twists with it. 

There is a spot tho inside the lid in between the back pad and top pad. If I put my hair in a little bun and twist it in correctly - it sits nicely in that area!

First world problems really. 

That's crummy! But at least you have a solution mostly. Problems are problems no matter how small or large. We are doing what we can for the world charity-wise so it's still valid!

I think if they do another run of the 501 hoorags I'll hop in on that, can at least wear em as bandanas and headbands too which is pretty neat!

• Like 2