The first time you saw Star Wars...

TK1491

How old were you?

What year?

What movie theater (if you can remember)?

What city?

Any other interesting info surrounding your first "experience?"

For me, it was ANH in 1977 at the Mai Kai Theater in the suburbs of Detroit. I was 12 years old. My sister and her boyfriend and I went (I was the third wheel) LOL

I remember thinking--as the opening scene started and the Tantive was skitting along shooting these little laser beams--"oh, it's gonna be one of these space films again..." and then the Star Destroyer glides overhead...WOW.

By far though, the life changing moment for me was when those troopers blasted through the door. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing I had EVER seen in my life.

Another vivid memory was seeing the COMMERCIAL for Star Wars (ANH) during the summer of '76. I remember casually watching it on TV when suddenly they showed the quick shot of Vader slowly turning his head toward the camera (toward Leia in the detention block cell--you know, with that red grate ceiling in the background) and I nearly sh*! my pants. It was so quick, and then it was over. I think I pointed at the TV, my finger shaking, staring at the screen, saying "Did you just see that?! That guys FACE?!!" and spent the next week waiting for the commercial to be shown again (and trying to describe it to whoever would listen). LOL

this is it.

cap215.jpg.eabab8928f8d89de79f623036ab8c662.jpg

I also remember pretending to be stormies with my best friend during soccer practice at school, hunched over and shooting each other with pretend blasters across the field. (I also remember being picked on for it by the class bully...until I clocked him one day. He stopped picking on me.)

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I was born in '75 so I don't remember much but my Dad is also a fan so I was there from what he told me. The only movie I recall seeing in the theater was Jedi and that I wore a red Wicket shirt and saw it in Madeira beach Florida with my grandma on one hand and dad on the other. Good times

How old were you?

What year?

What city?

Theatre: Drive In in Salinas, CA

The whole thing was awesome from start to end...especially any scene with Vader in it...but I think the thing that sticks out most is when the Rebels are flying to the Death Star and the "Lock S foils in attack position" Order comes over the comm and all the X wings seperated, it was like "oh man this is going to be kewl!!" Plus it was my first real Introduction to John Williams. The score really hit home during the Final Battle scene!

I was 12 too and saw it at Ala Moana in Honolulu if memory serves me right. Too many scenes made a lasting impression on me from the opening chase with the consular ship and Antilles' death to the closing dog fights near the Death Star. But I also remember the network news as early as '76 showing teasers about it and bugging my mom that this was one movie I wasn't gonna miss. Must've ended up seeing it 10+ times when it came out. The long waits in line were well worth it.

17 years old

Century theaters on Winchester Blvd. in San Jose, CA (those domed theaters)

Went with my brothers and we were blown away by the complete originality of the whole thing (and we were sci-fi fans). I remember going back several times that summer and waiting in looong lines that stretched out to Winchester Blvd (before advance ticket sales were available). We would bring paperback books and read them while standing a full 2+ hours in line! I remember an enterprising guy who would entertain those waiting in line by doing back flips and stunts in the parking lot.

It's hard to believe I'm playing in that universe today and I'm having a blast doing it!

Don G.

I think it was when it was re-released in 1978. I was 3 and 1/2 with my mom and dad and it was at the Greater Pittsburgh drive-in. It was a sad day when they bulldozed that for a Wal-Mart. <_< It is truely one of my earliest memories! I saw ESB and ROJ with my dad at regular theaters and remember standing in a huge line for ROJ. I remember replaying the garbage smasher scene with my friends. I remember I had a plastic helmet that no way resembled a stormtrooper except that it was white but it was close enough for me! I always wanted to be a stormtrooper! They were the coolest!

I was born in '79 so I never saw ANH in theaters. However, the first time I remember seeing ANH (or any Star Wars for that matter) was when I was home sick from school around age 6 or 7. Much of that first viewing is lost to the years, the most I remember is just being on the edge of my seat during the Trench Run and not sure if Vader was going to shoot down Luke or not.

Funny story with my family before I was born. They went to go see ANH in theaters in '77 with my then almost 2 year old brother. My brother starts to cry halfway thru the movie, so my Mom takes him out to the lobby. My Dad stays and watches the rest of the movie. :lol:

How old were you? It came out two days after my 9th birthday.

What year? 1977

What movie theater (if you can remember)? Somewhere in downtown Chicago

What city? Chicago, where I was born/grew up.

Any other interesting info surrounding your first "experience?" I didn't want to go, and had to be convinced. Once I saw that Star Destroyer soar overhead, I knew it was something special.

I feel lucky I saw it at that impressionable age where one is not yet jaded, where you believe in magic and the world is full of mystery, and mysteries are something to be enjoyed. An age where you are always willing to suspend belief.

1. I was 20 years old at the time.

2. The year was 1977.

3. Can't remember the name of the theatre.

4. Sacramento, California.

5. Interesting info: A couple of months later I would be celebrating my 21st birthday at an airport lounge at Seattle-Tacoma International, heading out to my first overseas assignment at Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea.

T :salute:

How old were you? 11

What year? 1997 (i know)

What movie theater (if you can remember)? Cinemark

What city? Mckinney, Texas

Any other interesting info surrounding your first "experience?" This is going to be long: I was very much a momma's boy, and my mother hated space movies, so being a young impressionable mind i hated space movies by proxy. Then in 1997 Star Wars SE was rereleased in theaters, which i had no interest in seeing, until the commercial that stated something like "this is a once in a lifetime event everybody must see" or something..... I had to see this historical, ground breaking film. I begged my mother to take me, being the best mother in the world, she agreed with no complaint. while my mother was getting ready, i was iching a spot on my hand that i assumed was a bug bite. Now to the movie, unlike alot of people i wasnt hooked at the star destroyer, no it was the start of the crawl, seeing STAR WARS as big as anything i have ever seen made my heart start pounding with excitement. For the rest of the movie i was in AWE!!! THE STORMTROOPERS, THE LIGHTSABER, VADER, EVERYTHING!!!!!!! I wanted more!!!! luckily I was smart enough not to go and rent the other 2 (not like it would have been possible i dont think they were in any blockbuster for at least until the SE came out on VHS) as i wanted the same first time experience with them that i had with the first. Later that weekend, I realized that that bug bite wasnt a bug bite at all, but the chicken pox!! So for the next weeks i took many abaths with my newly aquired Star Wars toys, and the love was born. Unfortunatly my mother had never had the chicken pox, and it hit her hard. Love you Mom!

I first saw ANH in 1985 I was five at the time and was totally blown away. If I remember correctly I was home sick and my father stayed home with me to watch me and take care of me and he showed me ANH. Both my parents were fans of the movies so it was really cool that they passed that on to me. The most memorable screen was when the stormtroopers blasted through the Tantive's door and started shooting everyone in sight! Totally Bad an impolite person! :o After that I wanted to be a stromtrooper, and last year finally became one after 21 years of loving Star Wars! :D First time I saw ANH on the big screen was 1997 when they were rereleased. Still had the same effect as when I was a little boy! Great topic by the way Scott! :):trooper:

i think its great how you all can remember seeing it in the theaters... i know i had to of seen it in the theaters but... star wars has been in my life for so long i cant pinpoint the time i saw it in the theater... i do however remember when it was an exclusive on HBO... my dad recorded it on a VHS... i was watching it all the time... then the others finally came out on HBO... and by the time all 3 three came out... he had them all on one VHS tape... SLP... we would watch all three on any given saturday... we wouldnt even have to say anything to each other... we would be kinda bord with tv and he would get that look on his face... "you want to?" (of course in a southern accent..) "yep".... and we would pop popcorn and have a great time with these movies... those are some of the memories i have of star wars... oh... i forgot... the year i come to terms that there was no santa... my parents were acting funny when they had groceries to bring in and i went out to help and they told me not to help... i knew something was up... they had like 30 star wars figs in the trunk... by the time all three were out i had almost all of the figs... except for the ones you had to send off for... i had all kinds of ship... i even had the twelve inch figs... man those were the days... (dont ask what happened to my collection... it is a hard thing for me to talk about... ) :)

Reading everyone's posts is making me all jittery and makes me feel like a kid again. LOL :P Its fun reading everyone’s good memories of taking their first step into a larger world. :P:trooper:

Wait a minute; this is just another tell your age thread :lol:

When star wars (there was no new hope) came out I was ten, my brother was fourteen. We went to a walk in theater, which was a big thing at the time. The sound was in sterio. I felt John williams clear down in my stomach; I almost dropped my bottle of coke (which was glass by the way).

Wait a minute; this is just another tell your age thread :lol:

When star wars (there was no new hope) came out I was ten, my brother was fourteen. We went to a walk in theater, which was a big thing at the time. The sound was in sterio. I felt John williams clear down in my stomach; I almost dropped my bottle of coke (which was glass by the way).

i remember that... it was only Star Wars.... and it didnt say episode 4... not at first...

We had this tv-show in Norway that used to show off all the teasers for upcoming movies....there were no commercials on Norwegian tv at the time, so they didn't show teasers between the regular shows.

I watched the Star Wars teaser on that tv-show in our livingroom, in my hometown of Trondheim, Norway. This was 1977 and I was 8 years old...

The only thing I remembered was seeing Luke, Obi-Wan, Han Solo and Chewbacca in the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon, as well as part of the Millenium Falcon escape-from-death-star sequence, with those awesome laser cannons firing at the TIE-fighters. I remember thinking the movie was Swedish, for some reason....don't ask!

I nagged my mother about seeing it for weeks, but she felt that it was too scary for someone my age (:angry::6:) so I didn't get to see it at that time. Think it was rated PG or similar in Norway, essentially 12 years and up. Soooo.....I ended up sitting around trying to build the Millennium Falcon outta LEGO, with a high emphasis on the huge 4-barrel gun assembly....that was all I knew about the ship from what little I had seen. :P I got hold of a few of the Star Wars comics so I knew what the movie was about, but for quite a while that was all I knew.

Then, in 1980, The Empire Strikes Back launched at the cinemas. I watched it on the opening day, and I was soooo hooked. I don't remember all of it, but what really DID make an impression was the AT-AT assault on the rebel base, as well as the Snowtroopers. I knew it had been partially filmed in Norway, and THAT just made it even cooler. Also, Darth Vader was after that the coolest person ever to walk across the moviescreen.

In the same period from about 1979 to 1982, we had some really harsh winters in Norway (evident in the making-of-documentaries as well), with snowdrifts as high as 10 feet in the outskirts of my home town, in the lower parts of country. The snowbanks alongside the road after the clearing vehicles had been out in the morning was also pushing past 10 feet, same with the entrances to buildings and houses...pretty amazing really. And as mentioned, this was not up in the mountains, but right in the city. Of course, us kids thought this was dead cool, and we played Snowtroopers and rebel soldiers attacking each others bases (read: snowfortresses and so on) for at least the next three years. We didn't have any armor of course, but you can do soooo much with a pair of white snowjog-boots (shucksty experiment to try to couple running shoes with winter boots), white nurses dresses (...I know :blush:), balaklavas, empty white plastic detergent-cans and a toy dart-gun. My mother might have a picture of that somewhere...

In 1982 (I think) The Empire Strikes Back was re-released on the cinemas, and a 2-3 weeks afterwards A New Hope went on again. They both ran at the same time that year. So that was actually my first viewing of A New Hope. The next year, Return Of The Jedi was released, and then we all switched to running around in the forest next door instead, the battle of Endor being flavour of the month...or year. :D

Oh man, how I miss those years.... :)

How old were you?

What year?

What city?

I was 7 years old....

Mann Theater...

Upland, Calif....

A week or so after the movie release my Mom took me to Toys R Us early in the morning and she wouldn't tell me where we were going. When we got there there was a line and all I remember was a lot of people wearing Star Wars T-shirts. When the store opened and everyone went in and there was Freakin Darth Vader a Stormtrooper and C3PO greeting everyone when they walked inside. Freakin Awesome it was....

They also gave everyone an oversized comic book of A New Hope. I wish I still had it, but I remember the drawings looking nothing like the characters in the movies.

I think this was it...

starwars.jpg

Curtis :D

I was 7 years old....

Mann Theater...

Upland, Calif....

A week or so after the movie release my Mom took me to Toys R Us early in the morning and she wouldn't tell me where we were going. When we got there there was a line and all I remember was a lot of people wearing Star Wars T-shirts. When the store opened and everyone went in and there was Freakin Darth Vader a Stormtrooper and C3PO greeting everyone when they walked inside. Freakin Awesome it was....

They also gave everyone an oversized comic book of A New Hope. I wish I still had it, but I remember the drawings looking nothing like the characters in the movies.

I think this was it...

starwars.jpg

Curtis :D

I saw it in 1978 a year after it was out making me almost 7 years old. My dad said my brother was too young and I would have to wait to see it. All my friends had the cards and I traded something for a card of a stormtrooper.. lost it a few days later.

The theater was called the Grove in Forest Grove Oregon. It is still there to this day and 3 years ago I tried to buy it and was beat out an hour before. Oh well life goes on.

I remember where I sat, and to add a twist, it is the last place I saw the ANH SE on the big screen as well.

My first and only Star Wars item I got ( we were a poor family) was a Luke Skywalker action figure. Sprouse Reitz variety store had the spinning display and I ran to it. I asked my Dad if I could have one. He said I could with a smile on his face. I still remember the price back in 1978 for the figure: $5.00

YES... $5.00 in 1978 for an action figure. Considering what minimum wage was, well and we were poor.. it bogles my mind my Dad loved me enough to work extra hours to pay for those 2 toys that bought a weeks groceries back then. Memories I still hold dear and will never forget.

T*E

Saw ROTJ when I was 7 in theater .. I'm not so sure anymore when I saw ANH and ESB though .. it's kind of a grey zone for me!

Fun facts:

The only ever Star Wars toys I got when I was young is an electronic R2 that would walk around after being cranked on the side. I remember giving it away, it's now worth a few hundreds/thousand $$$, can't remember exactly. In 1995-99, I bought all re-released POTF2 carded figs, just because then I had the money!!! Not so long ago, I sold almost everything to move the money into Master Replicas props .. I never regretted it.

I've always watched Star Wars in french until I was about 17. Wasn't much good in english before that and anyway, the place where I grew up didn't even have english theater back then, still doesn't have any by the way!!! After that, I never dared watching them again in french, oh man, you wouldn't even want to hear 3PO talking!!! Half of you would probably shut the thing off!!

In french, characters are names differently:

Darth Vader is Dark Vador

Han Solo is Ian Solo

I could swear C-3PO was named 6PO too but could never confirm this.

I'm sure I'm missing others ...

I was very lucky. My parents took me to see movies with them instead of leaving me with a babysitter. I saw Star Wars at Cinerama in Seattle when I was about 2½. I don't remember much beyond Luke and Leia swinging across the chasm, and being so stressed by that I buried my face in my dad's armpit.

I have clearer memories of the first time I saw Empire. I remember when General Rieekan ordered the evacuation, I turned to my mom to say something like "that's not fair -- they just got there", when the scene changed to the Imperial fleet and the first strains of the Imperial March quite distracted me.

In September of '82, for my 8th birthday, my mom got me (amongst other things), a membership in the Star Wars Fan Club, which I've held to this day. I still have those old issues of Bantha Tracks. By the time Jedi opened eight months later, I was utterly hooked on what has since become my primary costume for the 501st -- the few, the red. :D

While Empire is my favourite of the movies, Jedi is the one I was the perfect age to appreciate. Funnily enough, I wasn't much impressed by Jabba's palace or the Ewoks. For me, it was all about the fight at the sarlacc, the actual infiltration of Endor and the destruction of the shield generator, the fleet scenes and space battle, and the duel in the Emperor's throne room. Vader's laboured breathing after he got blasted by the Emperor's lightning still makes me tear up, and his final words to Luke -- with the help of John Williams' music... Well, by the time Luke torches the pyre, I'm a wreck.

--Jonah

My story isn't as great as the ones that has posted so far because I got into star wars pretty late. The first movie I saw was Revenge of the Sith when I was 22. I was never really into star wars as a kid because none of my family cared for it so I had no idea what it was for a long time.

A lot of my friends were really into it and they had seen all of them, but it wasn't something we talked about all the time. I decided to go with them to see Ep III and said to myself, "this is awesome!" Once I saw that I knew I needed to see the rest of the films because I had a lot of questions that needed to be answered. So one week during the summer we watched a movie a day and started with ANH.

I am definitely glad I saw them and wish I would have been into it earlier, but I'm making up for it now.