How many drop boxes?

While researching all that I can for my ESB TK, I came across this photo:

20141013_171518_zpszbpxpn3_edit_14131893

It was taken on the Bespin set and is featured in J W Rinzler's [awesome] book The Making of The Empire Strikes Back.

I have never seen this pic before, and it fills me with hope. As a taller trooper I have a bit of extra black showing between thigh & cod (and everywhere else really). The ability to cover this with an extra drop box would be great!

20141013_171518_zpszbpxpn3_edit_14131893

Unfortunately I can't see this particular TK on screen...

Nice idea though.

(ps if this has been discussed elsewhere please point me in that direction)

Nope. Sorry to say, it is a costume malfunction. After two films, these costumes were stretched to their limits and beginning to break down. rRemember that the drop boxes were attached only by a loop of elastic. Unless another picture shows more than two (which it won't) this drop box just slid over out of position. Is that gaffers tape connecting the chest and back?

Aye, Steve... I believe that is yet another piece of Gaffer's tape.

You'd think that by the time that they were filming ESB, they'd have had a bigger budget for the costumes, no? LoL

I guess we finally have found the drop boxes thief ^_^ :

15346844669_a96370a017_b.jpg

15414740106_7b71808140_b.jpg

But on this ESB trooper, as Steve says, it's most likely the left/hand drop boxe which slided to the right side before the belt was snapped on the ab plate.

The drop box on this particular trooper has more likely come off and been reattached on the wrong side. The elastic loop holding the drop boxes are glued to the belt to stop them moving, so I doubt it slid accidently. If it did, though, the centre rivet holding the ammo belt to the canvas would have popped in order for the box to slide.

Here is the full photo:

1392477_10151817497378557_773163845_n_zp

The drop box on this particular trooper has more likely come off and been reattached on the wrong side. The elastic loop holding the drop boxes are glued to the belt to stop them moving, so I doubt it slid accidently. If it did, though, the centre rivet holding the ammo belt to the canvas would have popped in order for the box to slide.

Here is the full photo:

1392477_10151817497378557_773163845_n_zp

The one on the ground has only 1

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Like the trooper you see in ANH , the boarding party, stops to check one of his slain troopers, then later on strips him of anything useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could be that the drop boxes contain information sensitive to the security of the Empire. If so, TKs would be under standing orders to secure or destroy them if a fellow trooper fell, in order to prevent the contents falling into rebel hands.

Edited by Dark CMF
  • Like 1

I have never seen any information regarding drop box elastic being glued to the belt.  can this be shown? or is this just an educated guess?

and I have seen that photo before.

I have never seen any information regarding drop box elastic being glued to the belt.  can this be shown?

How do you think the drop boxes stay in place? If the elastic loops were not glued they would slide across the belt. Check out the RS references on here. You can clearly see the glue and on other original belts too.

DSC03213_zpsa11a420d.jpg

• Like 1

I'll start gluing them!

thanks TM!

you can never learn enough!

I'm still a little wary of cutting the elastic like that tho!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I did the loops and put a small piece of Velcro on the inside to keep them in place and make them easily movable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk