Anti-fog......what are you using?

People constantly ask me what they should use to keep their lenses from fogging up. Commercial "anti-fog" lens sprays for swimming goggles don't really seem to work too well. Hacking up a good loogie into your helmet like you would into swim goggles or a diving mask is impractical and well just gross..  I just read something on Facebook regarding the 3000 uses for WD-40 and one of them was "to keep your bathroom mirror from fogging". Has anyone tried if for "keeping the lenses in your Stormtrooper helmet from fogging"?

I have always used a mixture of dishsoap diluted 1 part dishsoap to 10 parts water.  just dip the tip of your finger, wipe on then buff with a tissue.

What are you using???

WD 40 is a solvent and inhaled over a long time can be dangerous.

keep in mind you have plastic heat and sweat contributing to the situation.

having a fan that emits onto the lenses is best.

WD 40 is an oil based solvent which is why it works so well on mirrors.

just imagine what it would look like trying to see though an oil sheen?

wearing a baclava over your mouth also helps to reduce fog. helps to eliminate hair sweat.

A single squirrel blower fan in the right mandible area pointing upwards slightly. Also left a small gap at bottom of lenses to allow airflow versus sealing entire eye. No fogging yet through 21 troops.

I've used some visor anti fog spray for motorcycle helmets and they work like a charm....

Something like this-------------

:salute:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have some generic motorcycle anti fog spray that I used once. It worked pretty well until I ended up taking out my lens and washing it.... now I rely on my fan because I can't find the spray bottle. 

-Eric

I use two small computer fans each running on a rechargeable 9.6V toy battery pack, I have picked up a few of these so I can swap it out if I run low on power. I also have a battery pack that I can plug into my aker if that runs low of powers

--------------

http://www.greenforcecells.com/fimage/96v2200mah2.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I use dishwasher soap.. Have worked well for me. "Refill" the layer every 5-6 troop or so. I also have a fan, but don't use it much. 

I use some 3 quid scuba diving goggle spray off amazon, works just fine. also tried a friends "cat crap" (thats what it's called, really) and that worked well.

What didnt work for me was motorcycle visor anti fog.

Some of my garrison members use an anti-fog spray called "klar-pilot" which is used by firefighters, policemen and NATO-forces.

They told me that it worked miracles, but I was never in need for such a spray.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out from a dive master years ago when snorkling that a baby shampoo water mix works better than the commercial anti-fog stuff, and it's much cheaper too.  It's worked for me, but I don't use anything on my helmet lenses.  They very rarely seem to fog on me.