A special pic.. for you all on this Happy New Year

Guest T*E

A while back I had mentioned that there were helmets in ANH that had decals. I was not able to post pics, but got the OK to do so.. modified so it does not show the entire helmet, but it does show that there were ANH helmets that had decals. How many? We will never know for sure, but here is one... So, decals are now OK to have on ANH helmets! I took this photo in the archives in April. This is NOT ok to post on any web site, thanks for being cool about it.

And, enjoy!

Happy New Year!

T*E

anhdecals1.thumb.jpg.c7441bdc6ca34bb9e6b122c5967a8097.jpg

T*E

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks for sharing Matt. I had two questions that I hope you can answer. Was it just the tubes that had the decals or did the traps have them as well? Also is there any truth to the fact that some helmets had 11 stripes on one side and 13 on the other?

On this particular helmet ALL the painted areas are decals. Now, when I say decals, I mean they were attached to the helmet. But the way they were made was kinda strange:

The blue stripes were made with a ball point pen... No I am not kidding,

The gray areas were done in a way I couldnt rightly recognize nor do I want to take a guess... but, the black lines were done with a type of marker, and by hand.

These were all glued on to the helmet. This helmet also had been hit with a gloss coat that had gone real yellow.

Yes, some helmets had that many stripes. The set for stun had more on one side than the other... 14 on one side and more on the other.. It just depended on ear placement and face angle placement when it was built.

T*E

So what you are saying is

"canon is Ball point pen."

I have stickers. Is that ok?

I feel better. Happy new year Matt. You got my PM.

I can move on.

Troop on. There are kids that need us.

Awesome, ite amayzing how much information you can get from a small photograph, thanks Matt and Happy New Year to you too. :)

Cool pic, but I am confident that helmet did not see screen time in that condition.

Seriously, not trying to be argumentative, but when I see one on screen that even comes close to looking that way, then I'll believe it.

I've seen other pieces in the archives that were messed with post filming and I don't think this is any different.

Much like the vader pieces shown at c4. Someone who didn't know what they were doing was tinkering around with some of the props in the archives. For what purpose, who knows? Probably a lame attempt at a restoration.

But I think for anyone to think that this is representative of any anh helmet is barking up the wrong tree.

Cool pic, but I am confident that helmet did not see screen time in that condition.

Seriously, not trying to be argumentative, but when I see one on screen that even comes close to looking that way, then I'll believe it.

I've seen other pieces in the archives that were messed with post filming and I don't think this is any different.

Much like the vader pieces shown at c4. Someone who didn't know what they were doing was tinkering around with some of the props in the archives. For what purpose, who knows? Probably a lame attempt at a restoration.

But I think for anyone to think that this is representative of any anh helmet is barking up the wrong tree.

I can see some point in it, biut this helmet is built entirely different from other ANH helmets and it did go through hell from filming. But, the one key thing is the riveted on ears. Yes, the ears are riveted on and not screwed on. We do know that this helmet was used for the falls. I spoke to one of the stunt actors and he described the interior of this helmet to a 't' when I asked basic questions about it. I think that this was done as an on set quick repair, of course not done as the helmets were first done by Freeborn's crew. Never the less, it does make it unique and I rack it up to THE stunt helmet in my book. I also found the armor that went with this helmet. Again, the stunt man that wore it described what happened to it to the letter and it is in the same condition today as when it was pulled off of him back in 1976.

I know opinions will be all over about this helmet. thats cool... Everyone in the least can look and enjoy the shot.

T*E

I think that this was done as an on set quick repair, of course not done as the helmets were first done by Freeborn's crew.

I could believe that just as well. I just know how some of the original pieces in the archives have been descecrated by people there, who irresponsibly and incorrectly attempted to restore jacked up pieces.

If it was a true stunt created for stunt work, then that's cool too. I've always been against calling the background helmets "stunt" in the first place. I'd love to see everyone start to call them for what they really were.

I could believe that just as well. I just know how some of the original pieces in the archives have been descecrated by people there, who irresponsibly and incorrectly attempted to restore jacked up pieces.

If it was a true stunt created for stunt work, then that's cool too. I've always been against calling the background helmets "stunt" in the first place. I'd love to see everyone start to call them for what they really were.

I couldnt agree more.. I think they had to use what they did since the ABS helmets were probably ruining the molds and were too difficult to work with.. so stunt helmets were moved to the foreground. Yeah I saw some bad things at the archives. The worst was 2 Vader chest boxes torn apart to make others.. left sitting in a box with other stuff tossed on top. That was sad.

T*E

I couldnt agree more.. I think they had to use what they did since the ABS helmets were probably ruining the molds and were too difficult to work with.. so stunt helmets were moved to the foreground. Yeah I saw some bad things at the archives. The worst was 2 Vader chest boxes torn apart to make others.. left sitting in a box with other stuff tossed on top. That was sad.

T*E

What boxes did you see ANH, ESB, ROTJ?!!?!