New Battle Spec armour from SDS

When you look at the more expensive armour on the website it still has the 'Elvis' boots and in the new pics of the battle spec armour you can see that they coloured over the seams digitally hence no side elastic.

Also, i it just me or does that helmet look pretty 'funky'. The cap looks too small for the faceplate?

does that helmet look pretty 'funky'. The cap looks too small for the faceplate?

Yep thats a surefire tell of SDS armor and those recasted from it. "cough" Jedi robe....

Ha yeah Jedi robe is a crime against humanity.

Whereas Ainsworths crud is a crime against the pop/costuming community.

Hear that scraping sound? Thats the bottom of the bilge let alone the barrel.

As a novice prop collector and non trooper, I'm surprised at the level of anti Andrew Ainsworth feeling in this thread. When looking for a helmet and set of armour solely for display, I plumped for the SDS armour as I figured you can't get more authentic than one made by the original maker from the original moulds. Was I naive in buying the sales pitch?

There will be few if any people reading this who have less experience than me and I know many have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject.

I would greatly appreciate any member(s) taking the time to give me a wider perspective. Why is Ainsworth held in contempt by his detractors? What percentage share of 501st armour and helmets does each maker hold? Is one maker generally considered "the best".

Any education you can offer will be warmly received.

Thanks.

The Andrew Ainsworth debate is something that has been running for a long, long time now and there are many facts and opinions regarding it. The best thing to do is search here for Andrew Ainsworth of 'AA'. A similar search over at the RPF will also show you a tonne of discussions. Also search for 'Andrew Ainsworth courtcase' on the internet. Interesting stuff.

As for which armour is considered the best, it's really a matter of opinion. All the vetted armour makers here on FISD make quality stuff. It depends somewhat if you are more interested in trooping or more into the screen accurate side of things.

As a novice prop collector and non trooper, I'm surprised at the level of anti Andrew Ainsworth feeling in this thread. When looking for a helmet and set of armour solely for display, I plumped for the SDS armour as I figured you can't get more authentic than one made by the original maker from the original moulds. Was I naive in buying the sales pitch?

There will be few if any people reading this who have less experience than me and I know many have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject.

I would greatly appreciate any member(s) taking the time to give me a wider perspective. Why is Ainsworth held in contempt by his detractors? What percentage share of 501st armour and helmets does each maker hold? Is one maker generally considered "the best".

Any education you can offer will be warmly received.

Thanks.

Some may disagree with me, but I think the "best" armour is the armour that fits you right. These days from what I've researched, most armour (those found here on FISD) is really nice and accurate (TM, AP, RT, RS, ...). Fit to me makes or breaks the armour. For example, AM for my body type is not the best, AP is for instance. But AM is great for someone else. Catch my drift? :)

Edited by bigironvault

Sorry to be blunt but, sadly yes. :(

http://www.therpf.com/f9/aa-sds-recasting-issue-2226/

http://www.therpf.com/f9/origins-aa-sds-armor-1553/

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Lucasfilm-vs-Ainsworth-High-Court-of-Justice-Court-of-Appeal-Ruling.pdf

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=13848&hl=ainsworth&fromsearch=1

Thread started by the guy who DID asculpt the original armour: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=13614&hl=ainsworth&fromsearch=1

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11328&st=20&hl=ainsworth#entry144744

Just a little light reading for you.

Please help spread the word.

Respectfully,

Matt

The Andrew Ainsworth debate is something that has been running for a long, long time now and there are many facts and opinions regarding it. The best thing to do is search here for Andrew Ainsworth of 'AA'. A similar search over at the RPF will also show you a tonne of discussions. Also search for 'Andrew Ainsworth courtcase' on the internet. Interesting stuff.

As for which armour is considered the best, it's really a matter of opinion. All the vetted armour makers here on FISD make quality stuff. It depends somewhat if you are more interested in trooping or more into the screen accurate side of things.

Thanks, Rob. I'll do as you suggest. If anyone has anything new to add....