New Battle Spec armour from SDS

Thanks for the pics, Locitus

Do you have side by side comparisons of TE ROTJ and SDS?

Many thanks

Not in one and the same picture. But just take a look at any non TM or non RS armour and you'll see similarities, because all other fan made armour is derived from TE, including SDS.

Several. The chest plate didn't have the right curve (although I think AA fixed that after it was brought up in the lawsuit) and several other things like the fact that his armour is made for overlap assembly (again like the TE ROTJ linage) and not with cover strips. AA does assemble the fronts with cover strips, but not the back sides.

A much more likely scenario than suggesting that he recast an ROTJ suit. A blind man can see that both the original ANH and SDS have absolutely nothing to do with the ROTJ or anything cast from it. The ROTJ is a complete reworking. You only need to look at the overall width, the lines/angles of the crutch, the cods etc etc. The best you can say is that they are both stormtrooper armour.

Because there were none available to be cast. If it had been it would of course had been casted. Like with RS from last year which was the first true ANH armour to be casted.

The man who pulled the originals couldn't get his hands on a screen used ANH and thought that he could fool people into thinking a recast of a reworked recast recast would fool anybody?

Yeah, SDS in a nutshell.

Im guessing they modified the molds to make it appear closer to ANH

Ā 

Edit: sorry i was replying to a previous post, looks like it was already answered :)

Edited by RedSpecial

It wasn't the focus of the debate in the lawsuit, so I don't think enough time was spent on that. But so called expert witnesses are not always as much experts in their area, as they are experts at being witnesses (IE they get paid to do it).

Ā 

As far as I'm concerned, the lawsuit you've debated over and over is not very relevant. The point is that we here on this forum, most of us anyway, know how the different armours look like, and we know that SDS is not what they claim it to be. And that makes them liars.

As stated, I'm a novice replica prop collector and here to learn...I wanted a CONVINCING suit of armour and helmet...More screen accurate than fancy dress hire shop. I appreciate all your comments.

It seems that it is easier for people to believe that SDS is a recast of an adulterated recast than to believe that the original fabricator kept tools/skins and retooled. Not even litigation by Lucas resulted in any kind of scientific attempt to prove the recasting claims. I respect your opinions as experienced collectors/troopers but remain unconvinced.

• 1 month later...

You are allowed to remain unconvinced, but there is more than enough proof to prove you wrong. The fact of the matter is that even GF and TE had to sculpt their own parts for any portions of the ROTJ armor that they were unable to acquire. GF can recognize his own center-abdomen detail plate because he sculpted it himself. How is it possible that AA has all the exact same details on his armor that GF and TE had to sculpt from scratch? All you have to do is compare a GF suit to AA and they match up exactly. Compare them both to an ANH suit and you'll find that there is not a single part that matches. The forearms are detailed with squares that appear a certain way on the ANH suits. Why would AA alter his ANH skins to look exactly like a GF forearm when they look nothing like original ANH forearms? He even posted a swooped shoulder bell in black ABS the first time that he was hinting at making armor. It was the same swooped shoulder bell that Dan Laws of Imperial Armor had sculpted/reworked from ROTJ. There were no original "skins" in AA's possession. Any idiot can see that when they look at the comparison photos. It is all glaringly obvious when the suits are compared side by side.

Ā 

I am not on anyones side. I simply state the facts. AA is a liar, period. His helmets have a good face plate, although he over-trimmed the underside. The cap and back to his helmet is a joke. It was a reworked 2 piece cap and back from a prototype helmet that had the ribbed tube around the back. He merely filled in the ribbing in hopes to achieve the look of the original cap and back. The shape, contours, details, and alignment are nothing short of unique and not at all accurate. By all means, remain unconvinced. It goes to show that there will always be people who will stretch the facts to believe a lie that isn't even a well fabricated lie. You believe it because you want to believe it. The reality of it is too painful. It's tough to imagine Ainsworth as the kind of person that would just acquire a fan made suit and pretend he made it from the original skins. Go ahead and purchase an RS suit, and an AA suit, and prove us all wrong. Show us some comparison photos that illustrate how he managed to extensively rework the original skins to perfectly match a GF/TE reworked suit, but look entirely dissimilar to the original ANH suits. If you can do that, I'd eat my hat.

Hi Josh,

As I said, I am also on no-one's side...I am here to be convinced. At the end of the day, the original armour bucks are long gone. AA readily admits he reworked/sculpted the armour bucks anew, whichever point of reference he may or may not have used to do so. All subsequent original (ESB/ROTJ) and fan made armour derives from HIS originals.

Worst case scenario: He made the originals. They were copied. He copied the copies, or the new sculpts of those trying to emulate his work.

I'm surprised AA's detractors haven't done something more scientific than comparison photos to prove their plagiarism claims. Strikes me as funny that people don't believe that the man who made the originals would not have kept them or their skins...More likely he had them than didn't. Is that such a leap of faith?

And to those who say he didn't sculpt the originals...even Brian Muir readily admits that there is no evidence to disprove his claims. I invited Mr Muir to comment on the "facts" I listed on a previous page of this thread, to no avail. I was particularly keen to hear his views on the point I made about the convenience of GL crediting a tragically deceased sculptress with sculpting the stormtrooper helmet and learn how he managed to remain ignorant of its authorship until just before the court LFL/AA courtcase...

Furthermore, no-one has explained away the inferior prototypes that AA sold at Christies. Why did he make those if he had the perfectly formed "terracotta" sculpt to copy?...regardless of its author. Could it be that it was accidentally destroyed as he has claimed? Likewise, why are NP and AA mentioned over 100 times in JM's sketchbook while BM and LM are not mentioned once? Anyone....?

Regardless of how he arrived at his new bucks, he has the ultimate USP...the original maker, making them in the very place the originals were made. Certainly carries a lot of sway. No argument there, then...

I dont think Brian has been back to see your questions otherwise he would of answered.Brian Muir sculpted the original armor,period. AA is completely talentless when it comes to Sculpting. I mean show me something awesome that AA has sculpted. You can't. Brian on the other hand has countless portfolio references of his sculptures. He is hugely talented. AA is a glorified vac former that's it. If you can't be convinced just trust us and except it. I have no doubt that Liz sculpted the helmet as well. I mean again show me something that Nick Pemberton has sculpted. he is as talentless as AA.Liz on the other hand also has a big portfolio.It's not rocket science. Trust me we've all been there and trusted AA and been burnt. Dont fall for it yourself.

Hi Josh,

As I said, I am also on no-one's side...I am here to be convinced. At the end of the day, the original armour bucks are long gone. AA readily admits he reworked/sculpted the armour bucks anew, whichever point of reference he may or may not have used to do so. All subsequent original (ESB/ROTJ) and fan made armour derives from HIS originals.

Worst case scenario: He made the originals. They were copied. He copied the copies, or the new sculpts of those trying to emulate his work.

I'm surprised AA's detractors haven't done something more scientific than comparison photos to prove their plagiarism claims. Strikes me as funny that people don't believe that the man who made the originals would not have kept them or their skins...More likely he had them than didn't. Is that such a leap of faith?

And to those who say he didn't sculpt the originals...even Brian Muir readily admits that there is no evidence to disprove his claims. I invited Mr Muir to comment on the "facts" I listed on a previous page of this thread, to no avail. I was particularly keen to hear his views on the point I made about the convenience of GL crediting a tragically deceased sculptress with sculpting the stormtrooper helmet and learn how he managed to remain ignorant of its authorship until just before the court LFL/AA courtcase...

Furthermore, no-one has explained away the inferior prototypes that AA sold at Christies. Why did he make those if he had the perfectly formed "terracotta" sculpt to copy?...regardless of its author. Could it be that it was accidentally destroyed as he has claimed? Likewise, why are NP and AA mentioned over 100 times in JM's sketchbook while BM and LM are not mentioned once? Anyone....?

Regardless of how he arrived at his new bucks, he has the ultimate USP...the original maker, making them in the very place the originals were made. Certainly carries a lot of sway. No argument there, then...

Ā 

I'm guessing Brian chose not to embark on a battle of witts with you as you are unwilling to listen to anyone with a differing opinion other than yours, despite your claims to the contrary.

Ā 

Or maybe he, like I, finds the level of arrogance you display as some one new to the subject yet tottaly unwilling to listen to those VASTLY more experieced than yourself both distastefull and ultimately tiresome.