Where, What and Whom To Avoid When Buying

That is what this forum is all about Dale, and I'm glad you had a good experience.  Do you know why I created this forum?  It was because back in 2005 when I joined there was *no* transparency at all.  There was no forum, no Facebook, and certainly *noone* talked openly about armor.

When you were new the answer was "I know a guy" or you took your risks on Ebay, paying ~$1500 for FX armor (which is how I started). Only when you got in did you get access to the Legion Yahoo group, or your local garrison, who would give you more information.  

"Is that armor recast?"  "Hey man, why are you asking so many questions!" was the answer.

Having even this page where anyone could read it was novel and we got a lot of pushback about doing so.  Thankfully I was new to the Legion and just kept pushing forward, and was surrounded by a core team of like minded people.

Yes, this type of transparency is now normal and expected, but at one point it would have been considered heretical.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dale T said:

I will be honest.  I was a little skeptical, at first, when I saw people using FB as their storefronts.  Or just using Etsy.  To me, it just didn't seem as legitimate as having a web presence with a traditional website. 

Remember, having a public facing website where you sell a notoriously litigious company's intellectual property for personal profit is a great way to get a cease-and-desist letter from the Mouse. Some companies operate in countries where they don't have to care, but many makers are intentionally low-key. There's a reason that research is strongly suggested before spending potentially thousands of dollars on any hobby.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Remember, having a public facing website where you sell a notoriously litigious company's intellectual property for personal profit is a great way to get a cease-and-desist letter from the Mouse. There's a reason that research is strongly suggested before spending potentially thousands of dollars on any hobby.

That's actually a great point and something I never thought of!  

• Like 1

Back in the day when it was just LFL, the "agreement" was that LFL would say nothing so long as we didn't make any profit off of his IP.  That is why we can not take any money from trooping, and in theory all armor/props must be sold at cost.

• Like 1

As a person who is currently in the process of researching as much as possible prior to making any purchases or understanding what this process consists of, with only the pure intrigue and intent on spending time and dedication to committing a pledge to the legion some day, I appreciate the time it took to put this together for individuals like me.

Thanks again! 

• Like 3

Definitely this is an extremely valuable thread. I’ve seen some detachments that don’t have this kind of extensive information and so you are definitely more at your own risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, please be aware that the vendor *RubberBlastersEtc should be avoided at all costs*. They have been removed from every Legion forum and the proprietor banned from the Clubs due to confirmed previous conviction of the most severe type of criminal charges. Please DO NOT support this individual or recommend/link their page, and always research and check your Detachment/relevant forums for lists of vetted vendors and those to avoid BEFORE making any significant purchases. Due to the sensitive nature of the topic, I am not inviting discussion but you can PM me if you have pressing concerns. Thank you.

My goal is for the only thing to show up when people Google or search any 501st forum is a post clearly stating not to support this individual. It is potentially damaging to the FISD and Legion in general when members leave reviews citing their membership and support, and members should be strongly deterred to avoid the perception that the Legion in any way approves of or is affiliated with this vendor.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3

In regards to Intergalactic Supply, I believe he appealed to this forum to remove his company from this list, and spelled out a perfectly sound case as to how he was put on it in the first place, which implicated the OP in a business deal that had gone bad.  The OP isn't even a member of the Legion anymore, was in the same Garrison as the owner of IGS, had motive to disparage IGS.  FISD needs to recognize that IGS may have been falsely accused, and also read his appeals in this very thread, including his photos of him designing his own sculps, he posted a link to his sculp progress in his Jolly Roger Squadron Thread.  

This one stinks, and I can tell you that Jason's work is well thought of and respected in the Carolina Garrison "First through the door, last on the floor."  Pretty much every Tie Pilot, Gunner, TD, and TK in our Garrison is wearing his armor, and giving out his helmets at our hospital troops.  False accusations like these drive good makers, like JJ Industries (with Kylo) out of the Legion.  JJ Industries is one of the best makers in the world for SW stuff, but false accusations of "recasting" and intellectual theft did him in, now Kylos have no fabric to make TFA Kylo from, because he was the ONLY maker in the world........Knights of Ren Facebook group did Luke Daley in, and the original Dawn Bright.  Therefore these dispersions need some official investigation process before they are published, and then there need to be an appeals process to remove them.  

Jason is a decent human being, and his work is solid.  I hate that these forums have disparaged his name, as he has done and still does so much for the Carolina Garrison.  I have trooped with Jason, and this is all very sad.  Being an "artist" myself, and having my coding work stolen, I understand your concerns with "theft".  But Jason has explained that his kits were a Frankestein of models when he bought his company, and he has worked to refresh his TK kits by creating his own unique molds with 3D printing, and he has done that.   I understand the need to post where people can buy quality armor, and trustworthy supplies, but at some point in this deal, there was personal animosity between the OP and Jason, and I'm not sure why independent parties aside from OP have not investigated the claim by the OP and been more transparent about why IGS remains on this "recaster" list.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2023 at 6:38 AM, megtooth sith said:

In regards to Intergalactic Supply, I believe he appealed to this forum to remove his company from this list, and spelled out a perfectly sound case as to how he was put on it in the first place, which implicated the OP in a business deal that had gone bad.  The OP isn't even a member of the Legion anymore, was in the same Garrison as the owner of IGS, had motive to disparage IGS.  FISD needs to recognize that IGS may have been falsely accused, and also read his appeals in this very thread, including his photos of him designing his own sculps, he posted a link to his sculp progress in his Jolly Roger Squadron Thread.  

This one stinks, and I can tell you that Jason's work is well thought of and respected in the Carolina Garrison "First through the door, last on the floor."  Pretty much every Tie Pilot, Gunner, TD, and TK in our Garrison is wearing his armor, and giving out his helmets at our hospital troops.  False accusations like these drive good makers, like JJ Industries (with Kylo) out of the Legion.  JJ Industries is one of the best makers in the world for SW stuff, but false accusations of "recasting" and intellectual theft did him in, now Kylos have no fabric to make TFA Kylo from, because he was the ONLY maker in the world........Knights of Ren Facebook group did Luke Daley in, and the original Dawn Bright.  Therefore these dispersions need some official investigation process before they are published, and then there need to be an appeals process to remove them.  

Jason is a decent human being, and his work is solid.  I hate that these forums have disparaged his name, as he has done and still does so much for the Carolina Garrison.  I have trooped with Jason, and this is all very sad.  Being an "artist" myself, and having my coding work stolen, I understand your concerns with "theft".  But Jason has explained that his kits were a Frankestein of models when he bought his company, and he has worked to refresh his TK kits by creating his own unique molds with 3D printing, and he has done that.   I understand the need to post where people can buy quality armor, and trustworthy supplies, but at some point in this deal, there was personal animosity between the OP and Jason, and I'm not sure why independent parties aside from OP have not investigated the claim by the OP and been more transparent about why IGS remains on this "recaster" list.

This was back in 2018 for what it's worth, also he posted a link to JRS, well not all staff here are members of JRS and don't have access.

If Jason is serious perhaps he should repost his photos here not link to another detachment, then all staff can view then and the background to his work so we can make an informed decision.

I wasn't the DL in 2018 otherwise I would have requested he do exactly that.

There is always time to clear things up, and my door is always open.

• Like 3

Hello everyone. I'm currently looking for a costume, and I'm in contact with a person on Facebook who can give me an anovos kit. Are anovos costumes okay for 501 approval? He says the costume is 501 approved and he has attended events and such.

41 minutes ago, Naokey said:

Hello everyone. I'm currently looking for a costume, and I'm in contact with a person on Facebook who can give me an anovos kit. Are anovos costumes okay for 501 approval? He says the costume is 501 approved and he has attended events and such.

Anovos TK kits have been approved in the past BUT it really depends on how it was trimmed and how it would fit you, if you have any concerns reach out to your GML (garrison membership liaison) as they would ultimately be looking after your costume approval.

Plenty of Anovos builds to have a look at here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

thank you. I found out that even an anovos armor will be approved if the finish is good.

Are you the same height and weight as the trooper your purchased the Anovos kit from? It’s very possible for any armor kit to fit one trooper and be approvable but not properly fit another person and therefore not clear approval.

We’re not trying to dissuade you regarding the Anovos kit, because they can be excellent, but just want to ensure you’re taken care of. =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Naokey said:

thank you. There is a difference of 2 inches. If I buy it, I'm thinking of getting everyone's advice and trimming it to get approval.

We are here to help in every way possible. Our staff and members will always offer the best advice possible, and our forums are the best  place to share photos of your adjustments so we can further enhance the feedback we give based on what we see, no guess work.

Getting you approved first time or with the least amount of stress and hassle is our focus.

Welcome to FISD!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Naokey said:

thank you. I found out that even an anovos armor will be approved if the finish is good.

*sigh*

In my opinion, Anovos is the best looking armor out there and it has been seen at the Centurion level and even on screen, many many times. The company had trash business practices that led to their demise and spot on the Avoid list, but the armor is top-tier and still quite valuable secondhand NIB. But as stated... It either fits or it doesn't. The Anovos plastic is very difficult to color match, and there are no spare parts. Buying fully assembled costumes secondhand is always a HUGE gamble and I only advise it if you can try it on and inspect it before purchasing.

Edited by TheRascalKing

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 3:38 PM, megtooth sith said:

So is there a decision about Intergalactic Supply? I'm looking for Snow Trooper kit parts and they are hard to come by. Intergalactic Supply is one of the few I can find to supply the parts. I haven't purchased anything yet. 

I was under the impression that the Intergalactic Supply stuff occurred in the past year or two, as opposed to (or perhaps in addition to?) back in 2018. But I don’t know the details myself, so I have no commentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 10:29 PM, Justin said:

So is there a decision about Intergalactic Supply? I'm looking for Snow Trooper kit parts and they are hard to come by. Intergalactic Supply is one of the few I can find to supply the parts. I haven't purchased anything yet. 

I’m still surprised that he’s on the list and I also believe that he should no longer be on it.

Everyone in Carolina Garrison knows Jason and from what I can tell and what I’ve heard from other members, he’s a genuine stand up guy.

He has donated several of the kits he makes for many different community and charity reasons including a raffle done this week to raise money to support our CO who’s had a family emergency recently.

I even bought a replacement hand plates from him because the used kit I bought from someone else was missing one. And it looks great!

If I ever get any armor in the future, like Tie Pilot or Gunner, it’s going to be from Intergalactic Supply!

(Also as a heads up, he sometimes is hard to reach in Facebook DMs because he’s just busy. He told me best way to get his attention is send it in morning time and send gentle nudge reminders if he misses it or forgets. I’m giving this heads up as I know scam sellers “avoid” DMs sometimes so I could see how it would appear like that especially since he’s been falsely put on this list, but he’s genuinely just busy and forgets)

On 9/6/2012 at 12:03 PM, Sonnenschein said:

I don't know who that seller is and I don't want to step on anyone's toes,but if they request sending the money as gift, it seems rather, let's say, odd to me. Just sayin'

If you send payment as a gift PayPal will not be able to return funds in case of a dispute with the company you're purchasing from.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Standrex said:

I'm glad to see Maker of Things on the list... His stuff is thin and cheaply made... He claims to be a 501st member and his stuff is acceptable for membership... Like I said, thin and cheaply made

My first kit was an ebay purchase from M.O.T. before I knew about the 501st/FISD.  Horrible armor, and the bucket is HUGE.  I ended up building it for the experience (while waiting on my AM kit) and ended up selling it on ebay for a small profit.