Xaoslord's ANH Stunt Build - RT-Mod[*RT]

xaoslord

It seems like this has been a long time coming. I started down this road 10 years ago. I initially started pricing armor and picking up some of the items I would need back in 2002. I ended up changing directions and decided to build a Boba Fett for my first build. After getting all of the parts over several years, I ended up having to sell it off a few months ago when I lost my job. I decided to finish what I started and build a stormtrooper. After doing some research here, I decided on RT-Mod. A big thanks to all of the build threads that came before me. I have seen some great builds. If this starts out a little familiar, you can thank Darth Aloha for that. I am 'borrowing' some of the elements of his thread. :D While waiting on the armor (Rob is going to work on it when he returns from vacation) I have worked on compiling the remaining items I needed.

6656121515_558cd5ddae_z.jpg

1) 1" White and 1" Black Elastic - Amazon

2) 1" Heavy Duty Nylon Webbing - Amazon

3) Flexible ANH white rubber hand guards with rubber chemical gloves - Sonnenschein

4) Rubber 'S' Neck Trim - Trooperbay

5) Aluminum 1" TD Belt Clips - TK 4702

6) E-ll 'D'-Ring - Trooperbay

7) Chin Strap - Trooperbay

6656122069_cf72961d91_z.jpg

8) Stanley Rivet Gun - Amazon

9) Craftsman Handi-Cut - eBay - for making quick work of the webbing.

10) Bostitch Twin-Blade Utility Knife - Lowes

11) Hangar-9 Hobby Iron - Amazon

12) Split-Rivet Setting Pliers - Mac's Antique Auto Parts

13) Split Rivets - eBay

14) Chicago Screws - Amazon

15) Tandy Snaps and setting tools - Darth Aloha/eBay

16) Lexan Scissors - eBay

6656122567_6eeba3b0b7_z.jpg

17) Industrial Velcro - Trooperbay

18) Aker Voice Amp - TK6294

19) Rare-Earth Magnets - Lee Valley

20) Canvas TK Belt - Trooperbay

21) Trooper Helmet Masking Templates - Trooperbay

22) Leather ANH Stunt Holster - Trooperbay

23) Imperial Fan Kits - Tk-4261

24) TK Ab Buttons - VaderDave

25) Imperian Communication System (iComm) - TK6294

6656123141_6299623175_z.jpg

26) Stanley 50 Gallon Tool Chest - Home Depot

6656123667_bd834be401_z.jpg

27) Hyperfirm ANH E-11 - SciFire - The Counter has fallen off. I need to glue it back on. What's a good option for the hyperfirm?

6656124061_21196182a7_z.jpg

28) Stormtrooper Boots - TKBoots

29) Nomex Flight Gloves - Smitty

I've picked up a couple tubes of E-6000. I have a neckseal coming from LadySewForUs. I also have some Mic Tips on order. I will be replacing the TD also. I'm still not sure how I'm going to do the thighs. No one is currently selling garters. What options are there?

Any suggestions or constructive criticisms are welcome...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the blaster, I did a pipe kit build for mine. As for the thighs..you might be able to make your own with some of the webbing? I'm not too sure about the practicality of that either, I haven't reached that stage with my build.

Besides that it looks like you are very much ready and well-equipped. :) Good luck with the build mate!

For the thighs, I just use some 1 inch elastic belting from JoAnn Fabrics. The regular elastic turns into bacon after a few troops. The elastic belting holds up much better. 2 snaps in each thigh and 4 snaps in the cod/ab. Works great for me!

Here's a place online. http://www.createforless.com/Dritz+Belting+Elastic+1x+10yd+Reel+Black/pid166476.aspx

what brian said! totally needs elastic on the thighs... NO other option really works.

and I attach them directly to the AB/COD since if everything is aligned then it fits.

thigh garters don't stay in alignment with the armor.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Tandy snaps, which don't fit well on the pliers so they are hard to close. I worked on more snap plates today and was able to close them easier this time. I guess I just got used to how much force to use with the hammer. I am going to have to wear some ear plugs or something next time. That hammering gets loud. Got word from Rob at the end of last week that my wait is almost over. He has already formed and trimmed my armor and is working on assembling the helmet before he ships it out. Woo hoo! :dancing-trooper:

Well, finally got everthing out of the plastic wrap and took some pictures. (Weather hasn't been cooperating as of late.) Have to start with the wearing of the helmet:

6838476183_63c6a6e662_z.jpg

Here is a photo showing the updates Rob made to round the teeth:

6838467291_9e1140efab_z.jpg

Rob has also updated his Thermal Detonator and it looks much better!

6838468393_6cda212719_z.jpg

I didn't have alot of space in the shop to lay everything out (I need to clean!) so I took several pics of the armor parts:

6838470349_8e38e324e0_z.jpg

6838470745_c4b6702684_z.jpg

6838469589_7b4eb99e50_z.jpg

6838471401_272dae1568_z.jpg

6838471087_0d311903bb_z.jpg

6838561597_d1603c3536_z.jpg

6838471797_e6e79b8579_z.jpg

It's a starting point. Of course the weather is supposed to get crappy again, so I hope I won't have many issues. I may try to do the helmet upgrades first. (Remove decals and paint, install upgraded mic tips, chin strap.) Is it worth it to paint the inside? I think I could mask everything ok.

I've been working on snap plates. Darth Aloha's thread gave me all of the info I needed (thanks Eric!) so it is an easy process.

I like to do an assembly line process, so I make several up at one time. First I cut them to length using a combination square and a pair of handi-cuts.

6838472527_ba423dc631_z.jpg

Then using my pencil torch, I seared both ends of the webbing plate to prevent it from unravelling.

6838473039_3d67d23ea6_z.jpg

Then it is on to the soldering iron and pegboard to punch the holes.

6838473827_81fd9f5ae0_z.jpg

Next assemble the snap.

6838474997_5419dd924c_z.jpg

Then place it on the anvil with the setting tool and hammer away.

6838475375_207ce1f931_z.jpg

I'll be hammering for awhile.

6838468819_4084a3bc55_z.jpg

Hey... did Rob paint your ab buttons for you?

The new teeth look way better for sure. Shame he doesn't put green lenses in eh? I had a real witch of a time painting my vocoder... let me know if you need help when the time comes.

Agreed about the back of the TD. Ditch it. I use mine to test paint for my helmet and added a couple Jesse TD clips to the RT one.... my more accurate Jesse TD is still a work in progress. Rob's new TD plate is much nicer than the old one... fo sho.

Did you just tape up the parts for display or have you managed to glue thighs, forearms, and biceps already?

Rock on with your RT-MOD bad self.

-Eric

I haven't glued anything yet. I'm going to go with the butt-joints. Rob sent some strips with it. Good to know about the back of the TD. I was trying to figure out how that would work with the curved TD clips, lol. Rob did prepaint the ab buttons. I have test fitted a couple pieces. I'm wondering if I will be able to get my hands through the forearms if I glue both sides. I may have to put velcro on one side of them. Rob actually put green lenses in for me. He also put in the 3rd screw on the ears. It was a great experience dealing with Rob. Definitely worth the wait. Here's a picture of the inside of the lid.

6838468009_5cf12ecd75_z.jpg

I've noticed with flash photography, you can see flesh through the mouth and sometimes your eyes show through the lenses. I was thinking of adding a second layer of mesh to the mouth. Not sure about the eyes, though.

Edited by xaoslord

Armor and helmet look nice. I'm in the hunt for a set of armor minus the bucket. I'm a bigger guy 6ft 1 and 230lbs and have been looking at the AM kit but now i see this one. Decisions, decisions. I just want to make sure whatever I get looks good. Anyways, best of luck on your build, I'm watching and getting pointers.

Started on the biceps today. Made an 8mm guide strip and started by trimming off excess of each side. (That first cut on the armor is good to get behind you!) A quick test fit showed it was a little large. I ended up trimming the remaining 8 mm on each side of the back seam, but left the raised portions on the front seam and that seems to be good. It would have been too much to take the overlap from both front and back, and I was afraid to leave a seam smaller than 15 mm. Cut an internal strip to start glueing one of the internal seams, but could not find my glue! I have 2 tubes of E-6000 somewhere and it is hiding from me. Nothing takes the wind out of your build sails like missing components...

Edited by xaoslord

Well, I have this theory that the Rebels sneak in when you aren't working and steal your glue. They're crafty devils.

No kidding! I have looked everywhere. Boy do I need to clean up my shop, lol. I would have picked up more glue today, but they were predicting a winter storm for us. Originally we were supposed to get 8 to 10 inches of snow, then that changed to 4 to 6 inches, then 1 to 4 inches, and finally they said the system went south of us and we didn't get the first flake. :angry2: A trip to the store is in order tomorrow.

Well, I have this theory that the Rebels sneak in when you aren't working and steal your glue. They're crafty devils.

I find the Rebellion to be more clever than that. Somehow the rebels sneak into my office and leave the cap off my e-6000 causing it to partly dry up. It must be spies because there's no way I'm leaving the cap off.

Aloha,

-Eric

I find the Rebellion to be more clever than that. Somehow the rebels sneak into my office and leave the cap off my e-6000 causing it to partly dry up. It must be spies because there's no way I'm leaving the cap off.

If the cap is off the glue when I find it, we'll know for sure. In the meantime, I picked up a couple more tubes today with some more tape and some paint sticks. (If I post that I can't find the glue again, remind me that it's in the trunk of the car.) Temperature is supposed to get up in the 50s for a couple days so I should get some work done this week.