E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

That looks good Mathias, thanks  :)

While you're here Mark, do you want Ubers, real capacitors or real capacitors with Uber text decals?

Cheers, Andy

I want the top of the range all singing , all dancing, super duper, uber accurate you can't get better than this version!

Hi guys,

I've put a few more pics on the sales page & I've pretty much finished the Power Cylinders website  :smiley-sw013:

Most of the info is in my pdfs & the research thread but I've tried to make the info more accessible in the website.

(It also links to Ebay & Amazon but I won't be selling Power Cylinders there until all the FISD & RPF orders are fulfilled.  There are two other products I designed & sell though.)

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy, that's a great link, just one question have you thought about making a display stand for the E11 blaster? :)

Maybe something from wood and acrylic, with LED's to illuminate the gun from below and a speaker with SD slot so you could play music or sound effects while it's lit? :) (only joking about the LED's and sound)

Cheers Mark.....TK222

...with LED's to illuminate the gun from below and a speaker with SD slot so you could play music or sound effects while it's lit? :) (only joking about the LED's and sound)...

Some of the best inventions come out of jokes so keep 'em coming!  :)

I have thought of doing blaster stands - they're on my "to do when I get chance" list, along with (just to mention the Star Wars ones) the Budget resin Cylinders, Mid-priced Cylinders, Blaster Templates/Acrylic kits with Sskunky & E11 pipe builds with lights & sounds...

Cheers, Andy

:smiley-sw013: Screen-accurate "METALMITE" T-Shirts now available!!!  :smiley-sw013:

METALMITETs_zps4aec3164.jpg

I'm only joking really but they're genuinely for sale!    WolfCubDesigns' page at www.spreadshirt.co.uk

It wasn't my idea.  Rob Kingman (aka Matt Black, the generous guy who gave out loads of capacitors) suggested it ages ago

I'm not printing them - an online company takes the orders, prints them & delivers them.  I get a small commission for having uploaded the designs initially.

You can design your own there - it's fun  :)

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to be buttons specific to just you - you're currently the proud owner of the world's one-and-only Metalmite T-shirt! :smiley-sw013:

Aw I imagined more would want one. It's really neat :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Andy,

I'd go with 'power cylinders', but as you mention many people do refer to them as something else so it would be good to be all calling them the same thing. :)

The 't' shirts are great, I would have one but your recent post for the luke/yoda lamp has meant I am having to prioritise what I am going for first :( . I guess you can't have everything when you want it!!

Cheers Mark.....TK222

That's really helpful guys, thanks. The COAs have been printed and are in the post to me but I suddenly wondered whether Targeting Sensors was a more popular name and whether I should have put that on the COA instead.  Looks like Power Cylinders is just fine though  :)

I've nearly finished putting "METALMITE" decals on enough real capacitors for everyone...  it's all coming together...   :) 

Has anyone made anymore progress on Identifying the original equipment that this part was used in?  I've been doing my own research based on a lot of the information found here, and I've gotten close at times, but no cigar.  I'm sure many of you, especially Andy, have felt the same way.  I'll share some of what I've found:

The 6-valve chassis used is EXTREMELY similar to the Pye T.R.F. ER50 valve chassis used in their military Radar equipment.  After reading about it, this chassis originated from some T.R.F. 45 Mhz valve TV sets, and Pye adapted them for Radar use.  One primary difference is the size of valve though; the ER50 is a larger diameter valve than what's used in the SW part.  The SW part is uses 6 Miniature Valve Sockets (style BG7).  Pye had made AT LEAST one TRF chassis with 6 miniature valves before they quit making the TRF chassis altogether.  The one chassis like this that I found was a TV chassis, and it was missing the Capacitors sticking up near the sockets.  You can find a picture of the Pye TRF chassis at the Pye History website under Military equipment.

The "power cylinders" are actually ruggedized tubular Capacitors.  I've found several Schematics online of Valve Radios, Televisions, and Broadcast cameras making use of one or two of these types of Capacitors.  British Military equipment used a lot of these capacitors, from what I saw of the internals of large British Navy Navigation Radios.  (google image search).

The smaller hollow rods with wires coming out of them are also tubular capacitors, once again found on some valve radio schematics and ebay parts listings.

I initially thought the plug on the board was a Pye Coaxial connector because it would only make sense.  However, it does not have the threaded nut around the outside of the connector plug like Pye's coax connectors do.  At the same time, the center-pin of the plug does not appear to pertrude much beyond the rim of the connector like a typical RCA audio plug does.  I believe this plug is more closely related to the RCA Audio style than coax connectors, but there's no way to be sure.  It is strange to me that the plug is not ruggedized and threaded to prevent vibrating loose, if did have a military use.

I believe the chassis is an Amplifier chassis, as Andy stated, for mid to large sized military Radar, Navigation, or Radio equipment.  LFL had to have found 20+ of these to equip them on the E-11s, landspeeder, spacecraft, and MSE droid.. so it had to have been fielded.  Military surplus Metalmyte capacitors were also used in civilian equipment, and the TRF chassis had continued use in TVs after it was implemented in Radar.  At least two other companies took over the Radar production after Pye left the scene.

I hope this helps us get even closer to finding the original part... but I was unfortunately unable to find many specifics of these parts.  :-\