E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

I have another angle you can see maybe 3 more characters. I'll get it in here soon. Hope this helps out in some small way. It ends tomorrow and it's headed to Indiana State Museum for a few months May 25th. If anyone is in the area maybe you can grab a better photo of that area.

Edited by Rogue Studio

That's very cool, thanks Lee  :jc_doublethumbup:   :smiley-sw013:   :jc_doublethumbup:  

I'd love to love more pics of these parts, if you have them.  Even if they seem like shots we already have.

I agree with Matthias's reading.  I wonder if that's a  ^  symbol after the 7210 (or 721D).  Is there an electronics symbol that looks like that?  

The ACR might also be AER.  Might it even be AERO... ?  (Just guessing now)

I look forward to hearing anyone's theories on what this new info tells us  :popcorn:   

Cheers, Andy

Done some more work on my cylinders the other day.

My brass end caps had to be shaved down as they were too long, didnt take pics of this but I scribed a line then put them on the belt sander,

they heat up a good bit so had to do a little on each one alternately.

The end caps are threaded so I thought it would be a nice touch to die cut the brass rod and screw the end caps on.

tapered the ends on the belt sander to get them started.

DSC_0760_zpsf15f8fd2.jpg

DSC_0761_zpsd427082b.jpg

DSC_0762_zpsfed6cd95.jpg

DSC_0763_zps61cbe7f9.jpg

DSC_0764_zpscce0dc08.jpg

DSC_0768_zps02b5567b.jpg

DSC_0767_zpsa27e5d75.jpg

DSC_0757_zps20f9bbdf.jpg

Spent the last few days trying to solder my brass power cylinder parts together, replaced the copper wire on the capacitors with 0.5mm brass wire.

Soldering the capacitors to the base plate wasnt too bad but as the whole build is quite small its very tricky soldering multiple parts together close to each other.

when I tried to solder the cylinders on, the heat would transfer over to the capacitors causing them to fall apart, I then had to desolder everything, sand it all back clean and start again, on my forth attempt today I got it looking alot better, managed to adjust my pen torch a bit lower and also changed my solder for a different size and type, still had a good bit of clean up after soldering as it didnt look pretty but so far pleased with the results.

A dremel with various size engraving bits was great for cleaning up the solder along with some fine grit sandpaper.

DSC_0795_zps2721947e.jpg

DSC_0796_zpsc0ce974f.jpg

DSC_0797_zps7c8c2940.jpg

DSC_0800_zpsbd58b03e.jpg

Just a quick teaser of my Shape D (Tunisian version) progress.  (It's deliberately out of focus to approximate the photo of the original.)

I think it's nearly there - just a bit more tweaking needed to get a few elements slightly more accurate (including the weathering - I overdid it on this set).

The other 4 Cylinder shapes are finished, but unpainted - photos of those soon  :)

e nowPicture003_zps5ee83064.jpg

Thanks Mark, they are shiny alright, if my blaster failed I could dazzle the rebels with my cylinders lol  B)

Good work on the 'Tunisian version' Andy, love to see a 'in focus' shoot of them. :duim: 

tried shaving down my end caps to a more screen accurate size today, they look alot better but making them smaller has exposed the thread I put on the brass bar so had to try fill it in with the solder, not so pretty :huh: ,only other option is to buy some more 10mm brass bar and re-thread some new ones.

DSC_0813_zpsdd17ec3b.jpg

DSC_0814_zps1022c892.jpg

DSC_0815_zps95dbda96.jpg

DSC_0816_zpsa53226a5.jpg

I wasn't keen on my weekend weathering - I couldnt get exactly the right feel.  Practise makes perfect though (hopefully). 

Here's a couple of shots of the 5 screen-matched variations before I started taking paint off though.  The bubbly bits are masking fluid under the paint. 

I'd appreciate peoples' thoughts on the backplate edge smoothness.  It's quite tricky getting the balance between hand-made and futuristic & all the photos we have are fuzzy.  We know the proppies cut the backplates by hand & probably didn't bother filing them very smooth but if I leave them too rough they're a safety hazard & look poorly made.  In any case, perhaps they actually did file them smooth for the actors safety?

What do you think - would you like rougher or smoother edges on yours?

Cheers, Andy

PS - You'll spot the missing nut.  That's Shape D (from Han's promo Tunisian) & the nut is missing on the original.

Picture093_zps156c2994.jpg

Picture096_zpsc8f5924b.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

This is awesomely insane!! :jc_doublethumbup: They look fantastic, and what I can see from the pics the paint app looks ok, since I guess you never intended these to be perfect, but a bit weathered. I love their sci-fi appearance and also their roughness, they really are fanastic cylinders, the best out there! :duim:

Now, which one is mine? :D

Now, which one is mine? :D

lol... thanks Sergiu.

Please note, they're not finished in those photos - that's pre-weathering.  Some of the lumpiness in the paint finish you're seeing is masking fluid ready for pulling off to create "chips".  I'll post weathered pics as soon as I'm happy I've got them screen-accurate.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub