E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

So, I've been practicising more with zinc-plating techniques.  You can get some really nicely aged textures.  It's not as "crusty" as some of the landspeeder cylinders but it matches some of the Landspeeder end caps really well (see pic)

Less crusty is good because it looks like the prop guys cleaned the E11 cylinders up a bit before painting so they were smoother & shinier (see pic).  My aged zinc finish cleans up nicely too if you polish it.  It goes as shiny as the pics I already posted, if you want it to. 

I think the dull zinc finish will provide a better surface for the black spraypaint to adhere to so I'll try painting it first & then slightly polishing any chipped areas to match the MSE.

Cheers, Andy

IMG_5094compweb_zpse0043895.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Hi Andy,

are you sure you don't have a secret to tell us, that you actually work on the films and seeing us all suffer in the search for these elusive parts you felt sorry for us and decided to produce some as you did for the film!! :)

Great work Andy and as everyone else has said unbelievable attention to detail, for some one who doesnt know they would think they are looking at the real thing.

Cheers Mark.....TK222

Cheers guys  :)  I know that each step I take towards even more accuracy means you have to wait a bit longer but I hope it's worth the wait  :)

lol... you've found me out Mark!  :)

Richard, I'm not sure what confusion you're referring to.  I know exactly what size & shape I believe they were from making & testing many prototypes. 

The originals no longer exist to be measured.  The closest thing that exists are the racks on the MSE droid but no-one's ever measured them so no-one can claim to know the "correct" measurements. 

Cheers, Andy

PS - Please don't post in bold letters, it upsets some people

Hi guys,

Today we have a proper update!!!  No fobbing you off with barely-interesting photos of gently moving cylinders!  (Sorry, Mark! :P

Here are photos of the first set of Ubers & resistors soldered into the first authentically-aged zinc-plated baseplates!!!

All that remains is to spray-paint it satin black. (Feel free to make a comedic reference to Sheldon's mother having me tested because this set isn't going to be weathered so you won't even see the zinc - you'll just know it's there... :blink: )

Hope you enjoy the pics  :)

Cheers, Andy

DullzincwithUbers1_zpsf754ec36.jpg

DullzincwithUbers2_zps078ccd8b.jpg

DullzincwithUbers3_zps87af3275.jpg

DullzincwithUbers4_zps7a591638.jpg

DullzincwithUbers5_zps3e239bbd.jpg

Wow! Stunning work Andy. I wish this was how the cylinders appeared in the movie. I love how you can see all the amazing detail and hard work you have put in when they are unpainted but they will look fantastic painted too.

You should be really proud of these mate :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Andy, I'm considering renaming this thread to "Power cylinder research thread". What do you think?

Other's options of course also welcome.

Andy, I'm considering renaming this thread to "Power cylinder research thread". What do you think?

Other's options of course also welcome.

That's a good idea, Mathias.  It could help people find the information more easily.  Will my links to it still work or would I have to edit them?

I've become quite fond of the title & it seems quite well-known now.  Could you please add it italicised & in brackets?  So it'd be:

E11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Your links will still work, no worries.

Alrighty then I'll use your suggestion as the new title. Italics won't work in the title though.

Mark, that's a bit too cheeky! ;):lol: